Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 21/01/13 6z Onwards

Coast

Posted

Shame.looks like rain tommorow for us on the coast.v cold today and yesterday....and hardly an ppn about...typical..

A "benefit" for living on the coast I suppose!

Posted

Shame.looks like rain tommorow for us on the coast.v cold today and yesterday....and hardly an ppn about...typical..

Exactly the same was said prior to Friday. ''Costal regions will see more sleet/rain.'' We actually had 5-10cm's here, on par with the 2010 event for me anyway. Still substantial lying snow here as well.

Edited by sclarke

Posted

Evening peeps, so many pages to catch up on!!! Is somebody able to give me a quick idea about predictions for Devon and Cornwall for the next few days?

Many thanks.

It's really impossible to say if I'm honest. It's a case of radar watching and temp monitoring. Anything could happen over the next 48hrs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I'll be glad to get tomorrow out of the way to be honest, so we can concentrate on the next cold spell!!

Currently 1.1C

DP -0.4C

Hardly inspiring for tomorrow, that's been rising through the afternoon and evening

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Just went onto to Wetter to check the longer range trends, not been into the MO thread yet,, and I see UKMO has ANOTHER snow event for the south west on Thursday!!!!

Rukm722.gif

Rukm723.gif

Edited by chris55

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Evening peeps, so many pages to catch up on!!! Is somebody able to give me a quick idea about predictions for Devon and Cornwall for the next few days?

Many thanks.

A BBC camera man came to Princetown and interviewed the head teacher, he says we are getting dumped on tomorrow. So that means you will be in on the fun!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Does anyone know ECM take on next 36-48 hours?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Light snow here now.

Posted

A BBC camera man came to Princetown and interviewed the head teacher, he says we are getting dumped on tomorrow. So that means you will be in on the fun!!

Yeay!!! Drove up to Princetown today, thought I 'd leave it til the crowds died down. You had quite a bit more

than us, was surprised how much was still on the roads in the village. Here's to some more soon.

Posted

Here is the high res/close up view!!

U72-594.GIF?21-18

- 10 uppers moving west!!

U72-7.GIF?21-18

Where did this spring up from!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

The bbc weather was a repeat of the one at 6pm, crap to be honest , don't make too much of tomorrow , think she isn't listening to the potential of the significants of it . She annoyed me actually !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Yeay!!! Drove up to Princetown today, thought I 'd leave it til the crowds died down. You had quite a bit more

than us, was surprised how much was still on the roads in the village. Here's to some more soon.

Yeah, still lots laying here, but it has barely got above freezing since friday so could be here for a while!!

Posted

Light snow/snizzle/ice pellets in Coalpit Heath.

good.gif

Posted

The bbc weather was a repeat of the one at 6pm, crap to be honest , don't make too much of tomorrow , think she isn't listening to the potential of the significants of it . She annoyed me actually !

She certainly doesn't like a ramp!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

They always annoy me apart from Carol on BBC breakfast. They seem to put anyone on there reading a script and not really understanding the weather. Ian ferguson is the other exception who never annoys me. The reports on BBC tonight were really unclear . The only clear bit was the heavy snow up narf..not really a forecast but a nowcast.. Snow up north.. Really? Is that cos IT IS snowing.. Do they listen to MetOffice?

Posted

I think it's such an evolving situation, we are in a better position to make a forecast/educated guess than the BBC to be honest, they have to stick with the chief forecasters view, along with modified graphics, whereas we get the luxury of being able to chat and speculate about the potential of the situation. The BBC have to be measured, as does the chief forecaster, we may well get lucky and see a lot more than was shown.

If we take the NAE raw then that's a lot snowier than shown on the BBC. And with such divergence there is as much chance of that coming off as there is of what the BBC shows.

I know Ian will be very much in-line with the chief forecasts view, and rightly so, but I can't help feeling there is more of a risk than being shown, although if it doesn't materialise then we don't get egg on our face.

Posted

1.6C

0.0C DP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

I think it's such an evolving situation, we are in a better position to make a forecast/educated guess than the BBC to be honest, they have to stick with the chief forecasters view, along with modified graphics, whereas we get the luxury of being able to chat and speculate about the potential of the situation. The BBC have to be measured, as does the chief forecaster, we may well get lucky and see a lot more than was shown.

If we take the NAE raw then that's a lot snowier than shown on the BBC. And with such divergence there is as much chance of that coming off as there is of what the BBC shows.

I know Ian will be very much in-line with the chief forecasts view, and rightly so, but I can't help feeling there is more of a risk than being shown, although if it doesn't materialise then we don't get egg on our face.

To be fair to south today she has just announced further snow and potential for the south west up to west wilts.. Someone is on the ball in that studio...

Posted

Did anyone here Ian's comments on points west just then? Totally at odds to the met forecast I have!

I think the difference is the national rely on the previous model run and just stick to that but we are very lucky to have Ian who is truly passionate about having the most accurate and up to date forecast for us.

I have a lot of respect for that. Thank you

Posted

Did anyone here Ian's comments on points west just then? Totally at odds to the met forecast I have!

No i didnt - what did he say?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

No what was it ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!

i notice on average the weather presenters get less excited by snow events in south wales and south west ...... watch the difference if it snow near or on london again this winter cant shut up about it