Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 21st January 2103, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

I find it amazing how the heavy and persistent precipitation can stretch all the way to Argyll or Galloway - crossing the mountains such as Ben Lomond and Beinn Ime, yet there is always a bloomin clear patch that covers Inverclde, Renfrewshire, Glasgow, Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire and Falkirk. This cold spell will be remembered for:

- the snowmageddon at fort SS and Catch my DRIFT's new house

- The infamous poor show from the models and spectacular underwhelming snow events, including losing an epic blizzard

- And how frustration has reached record breaking levels for the great citizens of the central belt and also to include the city of Aberdeen and even the Black Isle.

I've given up on snow here but good luck to those who are in warning areas, and hopefully the situation will improve in the hardest hit areas. As conditions become a bit more settled, there is the potential for some very low temperatures - especially over the snow fields. GFS 18z shows that temperatures could drop to -13 to -15C on Wednesday night in the Cairngorms National Park.

A spell of snow during the breakdown

prectypeuktopo.png

Turning milder during the weekend and especially into next week but at this range this could all change. Hopefully, we won't see a something like the mild spells that followed the cold spells of February of both 2009 and 2012.

And Jane don't forget Jane

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

Snow here currently - cruising altitude 10ft bearing east to west, speed 35kts blum.gif

about time too temp now 0.7c dp-1.9c better than nothing i suppose doesnt look a long lived shower to me sadly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Given that the current band at the border stretches almost all the way back to Norfolk, there must be a strong chance that the SE-NW movement and impact of that coastal loop could be going on for another .... I dunno (finger in the air) ... 10...12 hours or longer ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

I find it amazing how the heavy and persistent precipitation can stretch all the way to Argyll or Galloway - crossing the mountains such as Ben Lomond and Beinn Ime, yet there is always a bloomin clear patch that covers Inverclde, Renfrewshire, Glasgow, Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire and Falkirk. This cold spell will be remembered for:

- the snowmageddon at fort SS and Catch my DRIFT's new house

- The infamous poor show from the models and spectacular underwhelming snow events, including losing an epic blizzard

- And how frustration has reached record breaking levels for the great citizens of the central belt and also to include the city of Aberdeen and even the Black Isle.

I've given up on snow here but good luck to those who are in warning areas, and hopefully the situation will improve in the hardest hit areas. As conditions become a bit more settled, there is the potential for some very low temperatures - especially over the snow fields. GFS 18z shows that temperatures could drop to -13 to -15C on Wednesday night in the Cairngorms National Park.

A spell of snow during the breakdown

prectypeuktopo.png

Turning milder during the weekend and especially into next week but at this range this could all change. Hopefully, we won't see a something like the mild spells that followed the cold spells of February of both 2009 and 2012.

Yep AWT,chuffed that so many on this thread have experienced lots of snow these past few days!But for me this cold spell is summed up by the feeling I had last Thursday......having gone to bed with a forecast 6 inches of snow for this area only to discover my dreams dashed as not even a flake reached my area on Friday.....how I wished I hadn't prematurely declared a snow day for the kids!!

Was dreaming of thispost-18260-0-43190600-1358810334_thumb.j

But found out the reality was this!!

post-18260-0-67375400-1358810378_thumb.jpost-18260-0-83225700-1358810395_thumb.j

Posted

Cul de sac officially sledgeable again

post-15765-0-23278600-1358810539_thumb.j

Posted

Given that the current band at the border stretches almost all the way back to Norfolk, there must be a strong chance that the SE-NW movement and impact of that coastal loop could be going on for another .... I dunno (finger in the air) ... 10...12 hours or longer ?

Stop it by tor as now lying here and blowing a genuine blizzard don't make me believe could wake up to 4 or 5 inches....the chase is exhausting :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Well, looks like its going to keep spinning up and around and over Scotland for some time to come. Who will catch it worst I don't know ....Pretty sure we're jiggered here on the immediate coastal fringe of Embra but for yourself and many others could be a long way to go yet.

Stop it by tor as now lying here and blowing a genuine blizzard don't make me believe could wake up to 4 or 5 inches....the chase is exhausting :)

post-9506-0-08917600-1358811148_thumb.jp

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Broadly speaking yes, that's what the NMM suggests, with the Border band moving up to the Lothians from around 3am to 10am, with the band to the north in situ over the northeastern quadrant of the country. Could be an interesting rush hour tomorrow morning, big snow poetntial provided the temperature profile remains ok.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

This has got to be the best snowman I have ever seen! 487065_10151281163588889_1123003571_n.jpg

Posted

That's starting to look like a pretty hefty band heading for the central belt. maybe hour or 2 until it hits?

Posted

It seem that the band of heavier ppn is moving north from Dumfries/Galloway/Borders.

That's starting to look like a pretty hefty band heading for the central belt. maybe hour or 2 until it hits?

Hopefully it will reach us and most importantly bring some accumilations.

Posted

Hopefully it will reach us and most importantly bring some accumilations.

Yep hoping so. I'm at the south of the central belt so shouldn't be too long until it hits here. Definitely looks better anyway. An inch or two would do me fine after today's shenanigans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Currently very light snow on here, temperatures in the Lothians up a little on earlier but by and large they look fine for snow.

Posted

Lying everywhere except the treated road....no matter how heavy just can't cover it.....I want to see that road white in the morning ....night folks that was some day for many differing reasons

Posted

I wonder what the mean temperature for January will end up as. It would be nice to have another below average month following on from December (which had the same mean as December 2008).

Posted

Lying everywhere except the treated road....no matter how heavy just can't cover it.....I want to see that road white in the morning ....night folks that was some day for many differing reasons

Incredibly up and down day really, from potential to frustration and then eventually towards some kind of salvaging of it. If temperatures hold there could still be a good few inches quite widely by morning and I think most of us would take that.

Posted

I wonder what the mean temperature for January will end up as. It would be nice to have another below average month following on from December (which had the same mean as December 2008).

I don't think it'll be all that much lower than the CET if at all, maybe around 2C, depending on how cold it gets up to Friday and how mild it gets thereafter.

We really could use a good northerly or northeasterly blast next month to cap the winter off as a good one. The lack of them has been notable, and coming from someone who usually has no use for a northerly that's saying something! It feels like we've had a constant battle with marginality and excessive rainfall all year with these snowfalls and a proper cold, sunny and showery Arctic blast would do the trick for me.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Snow at Glasgow airport but the temperature is still at 2C. The band looks quite heavy so it could bring some accumilations but it needs to get here first.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

I'm 10 minutes from Glasgow Airport and can confirm that it was indeed snow but none lying unfortunately

Posted

I'm 10 minutes from Glasgow Airport and can confirm that it was indeed snow but none lying unfortunately

Main band is still to arrive though, so you might be in luck for once this winter!

Posted

The good news is that the traffic cameras south of the central belt look very impressive. It's even snowing in Ayrshire.

Posted

The good news is that the traffic cameras south of the central belt look very impressive. It's even snowing in Ayrshire.

It looks like the snow is lying near Saltcoats.