Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 21st January 2103, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

no accumalations here at all

I think that initial base we got around 2pm made all the difference, though it might still start to lie soon, temperatures are certainly lower than earlier. Fine horizontal blowy snow here coming across in sheets.

Lss. where are you in edinburgh? nothing here in stockbridge

I'm around Newington just next to Arthur's Seat, so we've got a decent bit of altitude and less exposure to the coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Do you see much movement of the front tonight? Things look likely to remain as they are at present, with some Northerly movement.

General movement northwards, with two main bands, one around the Borders-Lothians and the other one straddling from Aberdeen to around Stirling and encompassing Dundee. Convection likely to keep driving it for a good few hours yet keeping precipitation heavy for Fife and Dundee and also for the Lothians but gradually dying out by the early hours leaving only the core of the fronts.

Posted

Same story here. All day we had green and yellow echoes over us with almost no accumulation but now it's a completely different story.

LS - Is there any hope of lying snow here and in the other snow starved places. It seems likely the cold spell will end by the weekend but how do you see February panning out?

Posted

Lss. thanks for all your helpful info. god i hate the coast. might a see a cm later

It's down to 1.1C in the Botanic Gardens and 0.8C at the Airport so it's certainly possible. No idea the temperature here but given we've generally been colder than those locations it must be pretty close to 0C here.

Posted

LS - Is there any hope of lying snow here and in the other snow starved places. It seems likely the cold spell will end by the weekend but how do you see February panning out?

Could be, the NMM brings more precipitation further north and west of Glasgow for a time this evening and I believe yr.no does similar at points. There's still precipitation around and with temperatures decreasing I wouldn't rule it out.

I wouldn't like to say with any great certainty, but my own hunch is that we're likely to see a period of well placed blocking around early-mid February and I'm still not sure the models have a full handle on the weekend yet. As the time gets closer, the picture is likely to be more complex IMO than 'Atlantic blows block away, and instead we'll continue to see some trough disruption and a tendency for colder than average conditions, if not perhaps quite so much as the last fortnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Evening Jane.. enticing us weather fiends with saucy outfits and working radars..

post-7292-0-42088400-1358796473_thumb.jp

4 miles you say....

Posted

Very impressive snowfall now here, must be about an inch and still falling heavily. Not to mention convection to the ESE is pepping up.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Snowing here at 400ft .However in Polmont at 200ft there was nothing. We have now got an inch.I suppose if we get these showers for another 4 hours then we could even cover the grass! Poor show today. A real downer.cray.gif

Posted

Evening Jane.. enticing us weather fiends with saucy outfits and working radars..

post-7292-0-42088400-1358796473_thumb.jp

4 miles you say....

Use Firefox and Adblock plus ad-on... Jane and co disappear.

Posted

Treated roads starting to get covered here, got lots of catching up to do though with an inch or 2 of snow on the ground...

Posted

LS are we going to continue to see showers pushing through due to convection overnight?

I think we've got at least another hour of this minimum, after that it could go either way but given the way the fronts are looking I wouldn't be all that surprised if this southern band just ends up sitting over the Lothians for a few hours overnight. Still bearing down on us here, wonderful to see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Is that a drift on the left hand side of that image..?

Posted

This is the second time in four nights we've essentially had a Tyneside-Edinburgh streamer. This time it's going round by the coast!