Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 21st January 2103, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

After a pretty awful day at the Gyle it's great to get home to proper lying snow. Estate is pretty much full cover apart from car tracks. Looks great. Prob only a cm or 2 on the roads but an inch or so in the garden.

Posted

Getting drier here so it will be a while until some parts of the central belt see snow again tonight. Today has reminded me of the sort of snowfall you get during March - the set-up seemed pretty good for the snow to settle. So Sunday morning brought a brief cm of snow here; a few flakes and flurries towards the end of last week and the weekend and today so wet snow persisting throughout much of the day but there was only a brief covering in the morning. The good thing is that at Glasgow airport this month is already snowier than Jan 2012and duration of the of the cold spell has been pretty impressive.

Let's look at what the remainder of this cold spell has in store for Scotland and what chances there are for the snow starved.

As we go past dusk, the temperatures should fall so the prospects of settling snow will improve. Parts of the Borders and especially Angus, Perthshire and parts of Aberdeenshire should see further snow overnight with significant accumilations on the high ground and the snow in NE areas could persist into Wednesday. There could be some hope for those further west and in central areas but the best of the snow should be north of the Campsies and into Stirlingshire/the Trossachs. So there could be further snow for Glasgow and the surrounding regions and towns, but it doesn't seem favourable for accumilations given the heavier precipitation is further ne but I could be wrong.

ukprec.png

Temperatures tonight should be around -2 to 1C in most areas.

And Tuesday is looking cold with maximum temperatures struggling to reach above freezing.

A widespread air frost Tuesday night/Wednesday morning with temperatures possibly as low as -10C in the borders. The coldest temperature of this spell at Glasgow airport was -4C, we could go lower than that on Tuesday night and if we aren't going to get snow then we might aswell enjoy the low daily maximum and minimum temperatures.

A slack easterly flow on Wednesday, lingering and localised ppn, a cold day is in store with possibly an ice day in many areas. A settled night to follow and possibly the coldest of the spell so far, minimum temperatures mostly below -3C and it could go as low as -12 to -14C in parts of the highlands - Braemar, Aboyne, Aviemore.

Maybe another ice day for some places on Thursday but there could be some rain for the western isles. Thursday night could be another cold one with temperatures mostly below freezing but cloud cover should increase from the west with rain turning to snow for a while but much of it would be in western areas. Despite milder uppers, surface cold could remain on Friday. But there won't be much in the way of air frosts afterwards but in some sense the cold spell could continue into the weekend. So not much snow for us poor folks further west but there could be some promise for snow during the breakdown. The lack of significant snow is frustrating but I'm sure the cold, seasonal conditions and possibly very cold nights will cheer up those who have missed out on the white stuff. I am hoping that February delivers, this wasn't meant to be the main attraction so I'm putting my faith on the effects of the SSW on the troposphere resulting in another period of cold and hopefully snowy weather - once this cold spell is over then it's all eyes on the models to follow renewed HLB and hopefully indeed February turns out to be 'the main course'. If February delivers then this would end up as a special winter with decent cold and snowy periods in all three winter months, if it fails then it would end up being a decent winter, but a very frustrating affair for us further west with the best of the snow in early December (again!!!).

Posted

winds increasing here, snow back on light-moderately - looks more intense because of the wind I think. Small flakes though. Looks like the 2m temp has dipped, the ground has went all sparkly and the small flakes are starting to cover the ground.

Posted

And I thought it was supposed to be snaw today? Just a horrible cold wet day , have less snaw now than the 4 flakes at the weekend.

toys+out+pram.jpg

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Just home temp 0.3/-1.8 starting to settle now, but after 8 hrs of Snow lucky if we have a 1cm :(

Wondering if we're ever going too get a decent dump of snow this Winter.

Edit temp now -0.1/-2.0

Edited by Allyw12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

It is snowing here (again), but actually settling on the cleared wet ground as well. Interesting.

Posted

All in the west/central Scotland I have taken a massive sledgehammer to that pesky snow shield. The models and radar should update accordingly and you can thank me in due course smile.png

I like it!

Posted

You and me both Ally... was up the hill earlier and not too bad there to be honest... 3-4 inches in places maybe and starting to lie on roads etc as I came back into town...

and here of course there is nothing :(

Oh well!! Maybe we'll luck out and get something decent tonight, but I'm certainly not banking on it :)

Tim

Posted

At least today I found out that my fiesta is 100% useless in the smallest amounts of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

just traversed the Embra-Leith snow line. The Bridges...wet pavements/minor slush. Carlton Hill...wet snow plastered all over at the top. Down onto London Road....wet pavements/some wet slush in London Road gardens. Fifty metres difference in altitude either side of the hill making all the difference.

Really frustrating day here when a couple of degrees Fahrenheit could have made all the difference even at street level Embra.

Mother in law saying there's plenty up at Liberton though, so higher points south and west of here look to have eventually picked up a few cms of claggy stuff within the city boundaries. A minor consolation.

Posted

Just been out to the garden with my trusted ruler and we've actually had between 2-3 inches of fresh snow today. Not the complete write off I feared.

Edited by 101_North

Posted

It's coming though...isn't it sad.png

I think you could see some snow tonight but much of the snow will be to your NE. After that and the best chances for snow is when the breakdwon comes and with some cold and dry days ahead of us then there could be a better chance of lying snow.

Posted

I think you could see some snow tonight but much of the snow will be to your NE. After that and the best chances for snow is when the breakdwon comes and with some cold and dry days ahead of us then there could be a better chance of lying snow.

Given up on this spell to be honest, will just enjoy the craic in here and grit ma teeth when viewing pictures. blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

I'm still chipping away at the snow shield. It's being repaired but with a bit of luck I may gain the upper hand in a while.

You could sub contract my company SS Destruction Ltd. 100% satisfaction guaranteed

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Incredible scenes on the County Durham BBC news report right now. If only

Posted

Incredible scenes on the County Durham BBC news report right now. If only

Yes, the poor reporter is braving it well!

Horizontal snow here at the moment - the showers seem to be becoming a little more frequent now. Has anyone seen the TrafficScotland cam for Soutra on the A68? Crazy.

Edited by doctormog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Says it all really!!!!!!!!

post-2849-0-26124900-1358790750_thumb.jp

Aye, an' it's Big Brother is currently lurking over Skye and the NW Highlands!. Noo, where's that laddie wi' the sledgehammer?search.gif