Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 21st January 2103, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

Just been out. 5 inches level depth on grass, paths that were clear this morning have 3 inches. Blowing a gale and still snowing. A great end to a pretty poor day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Is that a drift on the left hand side of that image..?

It most certainly is. Oocha.

Some poor lucky sods job will be driving back and forth over it all night tae keep it clear by the looks of it.

If we go intae work the morn, will arm Mrs SS with a camera for shots as we pass over.

post-9421-0-80472000-1358799139_thumb.jp

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonally appropriate. Snow - not greedy - good above 1,500' fine
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.

Seems to be softening again here, falling but not building. Never seen such yo-yo day but it is good to see snaw fall for well over 12hrs.

Can someone look at the radar and see if it is falling snow here or blowing snow. I am about five miles east of Lauder near Westruther. Can't see radar on my phone. Is there much more coming?

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Steady snow here making up for today. Might just get 2 inches out of this which is nae bad!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Can someone look at the radar and see if it is falling snow here or blowing snow. I am about five miles east of Lauder near Westruther. Can't see radar on my phone. Is there much more coming?

There's a radar snowshield over you at the moment so it must be blowing, doubt that'll last too long by the looks of things though, lots of precipitation to the south and east of your location which will move in fairly soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Yeah Catch there is. This big band is still down as far as Middlesborough - if it keeps generally going North then you could be getting waves of it for a good while yet.

Edit: LS beat me to it blum.gif

Edited by over_the_rainbow

Posted

Just cleared the drive (again), including the neighbours. Still falling quite heavily here. About 7 inches now and it's still coming down.

M...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

This snow is unsettling in both ways - it isn't settling on the ground and it's really quite unsettling to have it snow for 12 hours straight without stopping and have only 1cm on the ground!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Lammermuir Hills by the Whiteadder Reservoir

14901_10151358092118048_868117720_n.jpg

Perfect location for my next youtube video. Might need tae go pull that guy oot with the leon.

Interestingly, I saw another tractor with a plough on the day too. I understand that's a Scottish Government Scheme - i.e. recruiting farmers with time on their hands in the winter to help with clearing snaw in times of high demand.

EDIT. Aye, the memory is still working:

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/news/Scottish-Farmers-to-help-keep-roads-clear-this-Winter

Scottish Farmers to Help Keep Roads Clear This Winter

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

This snow is unsettling in both ways - it isn't settling on the ground and it's really quite unsettling to have it snow for 12 hours straight without stopping and have only 1cm on the ground!

That 0.8cm more than me. wallbash.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Even Leith has got a fresh coat of grey slush from that wee spell.

Trending the right way Embra-wide ... who knows, if it keeps belting down then I might wake up with as much tomorrow morning as I had 36 hours before mega_shok.gif

Snow settling readily now, probably a cm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Another compilation GIF from NMM for this evening and overnight for precipitation rate, just when the band appears to move North the streamer activity mentioned by LS curves round the coast and fires in, area of LP in the Irish Sea dictating the curve.

post-7292-0-97403400-1358800012_thumb.gi

At the heady total of approx 2-3 cm today, would be much more if anything had decided to settle.. still am enjoying it if ECM is to believed then we will be in long trail south westerlies before we know it !

Posted

Glenshee will be doing extremely well from this event. Enormous drifts will be forming. West facing slopes wil have deep cover. A continuation of the east facing slopes beings stripped.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Great news 101_North.

I have high hopes that The Braid Hills snowbowl will have been replenished in the last few hours on top of the weekend crust the sledgers laid down. If we can just avoid any weekend warming then I might still get in a day or twos winter sports with By-Tor junior.

Just been out. 5 inches level depth on grass, paths that were clear this morning have 3 inches. Blowing a gale and still snowing. A great end to a pretty poor day.

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

No snow here yet my football training has been cancelled because of snow in stirling. Day gets worse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry, cool and sunny

Perfect location for my next youtube video. Might need tae go pull that guy oot with the leon.

Interestingly, I saw another tractor with a plough on the day too. I understand that's a Scottish Government Scheme - i.e. recruiting farmers with time on their hands in the winter to help with clearing snaw in times of high demand.

EDIT. Aye, the memory is still working:

http://www.transport...ear-this-Winter

Scottish Farmers to Help Keep Roads Clear This Winter

it is the local farmer with council supplied plough that keeps our road manageable but they don't grit so we have to wait until all the other roads have been done before they grit here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Ach , it's no her fault, she needs to go on the training courses first.

She can start off with Lampost Watching Module 1 and progress from there!

I expect Catch and SS will add these training packages as a feature of their Borders Winter Wonderland weekend packages...

Lol u couldn't make it up mate I was raging...luckily making up for it now with the ongoing blizzard....although still a ninja element to the snaw as should be a lot deeper...my colleague 20mins north of here took 3hrs to get home so the further and higher inland is sounding crazy