Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 00z------------->

A.J

Posted

Looking at the forecast radar rhere could a whack of snow in the Dorset, Somerset, Bristol and Wales area where the temp is just low enough. If it's low enough which looks likely. The high resolution Modis at midday courtesy "NERC Satellite Receiving Station, Dundee University, Scotland" http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/

post-12275-0-91138700-1358864252_thumb.j

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

We have a mix of sleet and small flakes, its gradually turning more wintery

Posted

Just been out to feed the birds they were giving me the evil eye through the window, I must have 100's of birds in me back garden think they have all flocked here to get some warmth, all with their little suitcases and beach towels.

It cant even be bothered to rain now its doing nothing. tease.gif

kaz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: all weather types!

Heavy rain in Portsmouth, how come it's heavy when it rains but only light when it snows??

water (liquid) is heavier than formed snow flakes.

Posted

The pivot point could be to far south for Northern Parts of are Region, i guess it should pep up soon and extend northwards.

Or warm up the ground more biggrin.png

Thinking about it, isn't the pivot point in the perfect position? There's still a gradual northward movement and isn't it supposed to eventually move NE through the night?

Edited by BristolBlizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Just been out to feed the birds they were giving me the evil eye through the window, I must have 100's of birds in me back garden think they have all flocked here to get some warmth, all with their little suitcases and beach towels.

tease.gif

kaz

No such luck here.

3112825-426422-attractive-blond-traveler-resting-relaxing-and-waiting-on-luggage-at-a-sunshine-coast-beach-destination-in-a-depiction-of-travel-and-vacation.jpg

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

water (liquid) is heavier than formed snow flakes.

rofl.gifrofl.gif

It weighs exactly the same just in a different form good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just watched weather forecast with Bob who reckons Exeter will see snow this evening and an amber warning has been issued! Just been rain and sleet all day, current temp is 4c. If Exeter does get snow I will happily get out in it in my bikini and take photographic evidence! :)

Posted

strange how the v6 radar only appears to be showing rain and sleet and no pink snow, despite the many reports coming in of snow.

Posted

I like the way the ppn is intensifing on the south easten flack toward Bognor... incoming later this evening i guess

It is. It's heavy here already. Up until now the existing snow has been melting faster than it's been settling, due to the temperature.

Whoever gets this later on (Somerset?) is going to have some fun and games.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

The ppn has reached here in Lyneham and it's..............wait for it...................................SNOW! biggrin.png

Posted

Just watched weather forecast with Bob who reckons Exeter will see snow this evening and an amber warning has been issued! Just been rain and sleet all day, current temp is 4c. If Exeter does get snow I will happily get out in it in my bikini and take photographic evidence! smile.png

I said that once and it did snow and yup I did have to have pic taken :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

Heavy sleet here! Temp 1.8c

Posted
Has anyone else noticed that although there has been wide spread snow over much of the UK temps have not been that low, compared to other years where we were hitting -14 day after day so when the snow came the ground was all ready cold and hard. Just an observation.kaz

More than likely due to cloudcover preventing temps falling too far, in places where it has cleared and snow has been on the ground they've gone down to -8c to -13c!

Where were the main areas of intrest?

Wiltshire, Bath, Bristol, Eastern half of Somerset - obviously all open to change!

Just watched weather forecast with Bob who reckons Exeter will see snow this evening and an amber warning has been issued! Just been rain and sleet all day, current temp is 4c. If Exeter does get snow I will happily get out in it in my bikini and take photographic evidence! smile.png

Get onto a Facebook page called 'Wiltshire Lets Get Naked In The Snow' and donate to charity!

Posted

2.5 C here, but was 3.3 C an hour or so ago so at least it's some improvement! Temp dropping quite consistenly. DP stubbornly 1.1 C though. Just rain here, in fact 9.1mm so far. Oh if only that had all been snow!! No lying snow here anymore, it's all been washed away cray.gif

Fingers crossed for later though!

Posted

For those in Poole, Bournemouth, Christchurch etc. enjoying this lovely cold rain (about the only weather I actually hate, I mean, seriously what's worse than 1-5c and rain, totally pointless, bah!), cast your minds back to 2009 - I think it was, possibly 2008.

I remember it reasonably well if not the date. Very similar situation to this. Low in the channel, occlusion pushing up from the South, started off as rain. My business partner and I were going to see a client in his rather modified Subaru Imprezza. As we were heading over to Boscombe, it started to get a bit sleety. He was going too fast for my liking but I kept my mouth shut. Going down Ashley Road in Boscombe it flicked like a switch to snow. Within about 100m we went over the railway bridge but there was a stationary bus about 200m in front. Although only doing 25mph or so we couldn't stop and wen't into a car behind the bus. It hammered it down with snow for about 2-3 hours after that. We picked up the damage and managed to limp the car to the Client, did the meeting (which was rather surreal) and then tried to head to his flat. But we only got as far as Bournemouth as the radiator was leaking like a burst water main and it was still so icy everywhere. We spent about another hour trying to repair it well enough on the roadside before giving up and going for a KFC. By evening time it had all melted again.

Will we see that again today? Well we won't be crashing in his car because that incident wrote it off hehe.

Oh well, hopefully this was a mildly amusing diversion for the fellow south coastians who are trying to find the first hints of sleet before it maybe turns to snow for a while.