Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ----->

A.J

Posted

Been snowing since 5pm here in Buxton, severe drifting and many blocked roads...2ft of level snow in our garden.acute.gif

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

This is epic snowfall, was not expecting this !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Radar is making me laugh, yellow and brown echoes to my North, East, South and West, blue over Northampton............zzzzzzz

You not seeing that area of red/purple echo's to the south-west heading this way then?

Posted

Its heavy enough down here, although probably got about 3cm now after 2 hours so not as heavy. Was planning on going up around Buxton but may have to give up that idea and head for somewhere closer to here, but still high up.

The way things are probably not a good idea !

Posted

Yep gone tits up here after a great start. Snow free areas like pavements that were starting to get filled in are now thawing with an icy rain/sleet mix.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

You not seeing that area of red/purple echo's to the south-west heading this way then?

Won't be snow anyway. We've had some red/purples come over Leicester in the last hour, still wasn't enough to produce snow though.

Posted

This is epic snowfall, was not expecting this !

its great, only place to be in these situations ie, frontal snow events withcold air at the surface are in the middle of the country and of course some elevation.

our area is great, also higher parts of Peak District and York Moors, but really we are favoured in these situations,

seen it many times over the years, way before internet, just sit back and watch North Derbys get plastered.

never really gets mentioned on National News.

i had family living in Wirksworth and Middleton for 70 years, and have heard same old stories of heavy frontal snow in our little world.

blum.gif

Posted

Can someone please post links to radar so i can follow this band of snow

is Nottinghamshire inline for any heavy amounts ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

its great, only place to be in these situations ie, frontal snow events withcold air at the surface are in the middle of the country and of course some elevation.

our area is great, also higher parts of Peak District and York Moors, but really we are favoured in these situations,

seen it many times over the years, way before internet, just sit back and watch North Derbys get plastered.

i had family living in Wirksworth and Middleton for 70 years, and have heard same old stories of heavy frontal snow in our little world.

blum.gif

*Aims sniper at your window*Sniper.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I'm not really in the Peak District but the snow is incredibly heavy here now! Heaviest snow of the spell so far!

And i mean of the 2 week cold spell not just tonights spell :)

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

MAssive flakes now here in Nottingham. After several hours of shizzle its now covering and fast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers /snowy winters

Can someone please post links to radar so i can follow this band of snow

is Nottinghamshire inline for any heavy amounts ?

Rain-alarm.com

Posted

Ha Ha latest BBC forecast are predicting snow across all of the E Midlands into the night!

Don't these fools even bother to check local reports, conditions before making these forecasts. This happens because these days of over dependence on computer models means they ignore the basics of nowcasting.

Posted

blum.gif

Hi Mark, yes I agree reg frontal snow, I live near Middleton by Youlgreave which is a little higher elevation not Wirksworth. Must be around 5inch of fresh snow now on top of the old 20cm +.. very heavy snow!

It looks like winter 2010 all over again !

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Ha Ha latest BBC forecast are predicting snow across all of the E Midlands into the night!

Don't these fools even bother to check local reports, conditions before making these forecasts. This happens because these days of over dependence on computer models means they ignore the basics of nowcasting.

Just a quick look at xcweather would be a start. Costs nothing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

strange as we have had an ice storm in loughborough, snow intermingled with ice crytals, the sleet/snow,freezing as it falls, the canal has filled with slush in the last 1/2 hour