Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Radio Leicester news still forecasting heavy snow, they have just had a bloke on from the highways agency saying they hav snow ploughs on stand by as they think they will need to use them later on the ring road! Are these people serious!

Must be an early April fools or something. There's no way it will turn to snow now, the milder air is spreading in and fast. 1.3c here now with a dew of 0.6c, the dew point was -1.8c at 7pm, says all you need to know really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

I'm getting ready to throw a tantrum...been sleeting, but that's it :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Yep Andy you were right, though to be fair, NAE and UKMO had got it right for all the snow previously - so that is why I didn't pay too much attention to GFS. I never for one minute thought it wouldn't be marginal, I knew it would, but not quite as bad as this.

The only reason I was being so bullish about the GFS kicking the NAE's a$$ is because, I have seen the NAE get these milder air hitting colder air scenario's wrong quite a few times before. It underestimates the mild sector, like last night for instance, it showed -2 dew points over the whole of the East Midlands by midnight till 6am. I'll put all the money I have on the dew point being nowhere near -2 by midnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Dew point in daventry is currently 0.6c :(

Posted

GFS was showing rain for all the region though, which was clearly wrong. Last time this happened in late Dec 2010 GFS was right, NAE was wrong. Not so clear cut this time.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

couple of pics from back door, going for walk in a bit.

Looks pretty much the same here, although ive not been out yet since it started around 7.30pm, will have to let the dog out later, although she may struggle in this snow depth being a Boarder Terrier !

Posted

it's all very well these locations at altitude saying they have heavy snow. The BBC forecast made it sound like 'low level' places were going to see heavy snow too. Most of the population live at low level altitude

yeah and no doubt there will be reporters standing at the top of a hill saying how bad it is, to try to justify the bad weather rather than in the middle of a town centre at a low altitude

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Just had a good hour walk in it - massive flakes and settling well! Lots of fun walking in brand new fresh snow with no footprints around... snowball fight had to be had! Best falling snow I've experienced in ages - good timing with a drunk Fri night!

Posted

Very heavy snow here, blizzard like! We're nearly 170asl. About 5cm has fallen in the last hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

The only reason I was being so bullish about the GFS kicking the NAE's a$$ is because, I have seen the NAE get these milder air hitting colder air scenario's wrong quite a few times before. It underestimates the mild sector, like last night for instance, it showed -2 dew points over the whole of the East Midlands by midnight till 6am. I'll put all the money I have on the dew point being nowhere near -2 by midnight.

We shouldn't even need to look at the models. Whenever a massive huge band of precipitation is coming with the potential to dump a foot of snow we should know already that it's not going to work out for Leicester. That's how it's been for 10 years now and that's how it will remain to be.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Piling down with snow for the last half hour. I'll nip outside in a bit to do a quick measurement.

Posted

Duplicate post, apologies!

Edited by LadyEv06

Posted

Piling down with snow for the last half hour. I'll nip outside in a bit to do a quick measurement.

Times like this I wish I lived on higher ground. The top level of our shopping centre car parks is the highest it gets here.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted

TM, this is something ! when did we last see this kind of snowfall ? excluding 2010 for obvious reasons..

Posted

Seems we are right on the dividing line between warm air to the SW and the cold towards the NE hence the inconsistent reports. For those who did get pure snow (ASL) they must have got a right pasting because some of those echoes are really bright. Must have caused quite a few problems imagine driving in that? It did pass through quite quick though. Game over now looking at the radar the heaviest has passed through.

This cold spell has been the most memorable for me in recent years anyway. Must have been the first time I've walked in ankle deep snow for well over a decade.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I live on low ground in a valley and it has been snowing heavily since 8pm. I have just witnessed some of the heaviest snow I can recall with massive flakes in the last half hour. The A6 is white over, I have never seen that before. Worryingly, I have not seen a gritter all evening either and if the A6 is covered, dread to think what the minor roads are like.

And if anything it is getting heavier!!!

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

TM, this is something ! when did we last see this kind of snowfall ? excluding 2010 for obvious reasons..

I'm not sure, it's the sort of snow you sometimes see in heavy showers but going on for much longer.

About 12cm of fresh snow a couple of paces outside my back door, probably a bit more than that out in the open as the back is sheltered by trees and bushes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

For some areas, this is a severe event and im very surprised a red warning has not been issued. https://twitter.com/...1879424/photo/1 The M6 currently, absolute chaos, this motorway is now closed. I wonder if this was in the south, a red warning would of been issued? I certainly think a red warning should of been issued at least considering they issued one for Wales last week.

Posted

I'm not sure, it's the sort of snow you sometimes see in heavy showers but going on for much longer.

About 12cm of fresh snow a couple of paces outside my back door, probably a bit more than that out in the open as the back is sheltered by trees and bushes.

Yes there must be 2cm flakes at least now and getting vv heavy. Wonderful sight ! Will have a pop out later with the measuring stick..

There will be some massive drifts out in the fields, as the snow has been blowing around quit a bit.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Seems we are right on the dividing line between warm air to the SW and the cold towards the NE hence the inconsistent reports. For those who did get pure snow (ASL) they must have got a right pasting because some of those echoes are really bright. Must have caused quite a few problems imagine driving in that? It did pass through quite quick though. Game over now looking at the radar the heaviest has passed through.

This cold spell has been the most memorable for me in recent years anyway. Must have been the first time I've walked in ankle deep snow for well over a decade.

Still piling it down here in Arnold!

Posted

I am in Corby Northamptonshire.

About 9PM we had sleet which turned to light snow.

At the moment we have very heavy snow, all the roofs and cars are completely covered again.

I have an OAT of 0.7C