Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ----->

A.J

Posted

so disappointed. wanted a decent covering and have woken up to less snow than there was yesterday. looks like we just got rain last night. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Average depth of level snow is 36cm here after 20cm of fresh snow last night. The snow has compacted somewhat as the temperature is above freezing, but has also frozen on the surface since the cloud cleared around 0630.

Just been out to find rain gauges and earth/ grass min' thermometers, all of which were completely buried.

It's going to be a major digging out job this morning and we'll be struggling to find somewhere to put it all after several recent, lesser, diggings out.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

I am certainly not disappointed with met office forecast and I dare say neither are our friends in the north. This was always going to be a northern event becoming more marginalised the further south or east you came.This is exactly what happened. This was never set in stone for this area. It also proves how nowcasting is the only reliable with snow.

I for one am rather pleased not to be digging out a 100 foot drive again this winter.

Now off to enjoy the snow and ice where it should be - in the hills and mountains.

Posted

Just seen some pics from my home town of Bolton almost 9 inches fell. Meanwhile back in Northampton I had a bad feeling when my Dp at 20:00 was -1.8 at 21:30 it was 0.1. I called it a night at 23:00 and the Dp was 0.4. Still happy with the cold spell we have had.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

We had sleet followed by icy rain. Just got back from sliding about with the dogs, very little actual walking, an absolute nightmare. Never thought I would write this, I wish it would go. The snow I love, but this sheet ice is awful.

Posted

Sunny +2c here and the white stuff now thawing after a wild night of Snow,Sleet,Ice pellets and freezing Rain. Roll on next winter then !

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Around 40cm of snow here, been digging all morning but have given up now as a fast thaw has started, will probably be able to get out tomorrow...

Posted

great show, last night just a few lucky areas I suspose. Went out at 11.30pm, walking the town, got back 3.00am.

20 to 25cms of new snow, some drifting, was already 15cm still on ground so top out in places at 35cm to 40cm. All roads covered only passable with 4x4s.

lovely morning with blue sky and sun, we have had a major road clearing operation on the estate, all in all a good 24 hours to end a great 2 weeks, had 4 falls of snow all over 10cms

including last nights I think 3 of them got close to 15cm each time.

Bring on Feb.

laugh.png

Posted

Excellent way to end the cold snap- around 8-10cm's fell in Newark with drifting out of the town centre. I was actually out in Lincoln last night on the razz and it turned to rain around 12.30- with not much more than a dusting in most places (adding to the existing covering) - yet turned back to snow on route back to Newark, where accumulations we are least 3x more. What a difference 15 miles can make!

Posted

It took four men two hours to dig out to the main road this morning. Snow is all nicely piled between 2 and 5 feet deep around the garages and in places at the roadside. Most of the snow had to go into neighbours' gardens as there was nowhere else to put it on a single track road bounded by walls.

The snow from the gauges has finally melted; 27.2 mm in 1, 28.3 mm in no' 2 and 30.9 mm in the official gauge. All of them were completely buried but the snow was relatively undrifted and I managed to cut down and around the column of snow on top of the gauges and salvage it for melting. Two cores of fresh snow, taken with the top of the gauge, yielded 31.1 mm and 29.9 mm so fairly good agreement with the gauges.

Average depth of undrifted snow just after midnight was 38cm, the most in January since 1987.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

Well what a difference a day makes, absolutely torrential tonight! Give me the cold and snow any day!! :(

Posted

Lol what a difference, snow and the heavy echoes give Northampton a wide birth. Rain and the heavy echoes smash right into us.

Why am i not surprised?

Posted

Reports of thunder in Buxton..

Edit, heavy rain and just thunder here right over me !

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Reports of thunder in Buxton..

Edit, heavy rain and just thunder here right over me !

Heavy rain here too with thunder and lightning to the north ( over you ).

Posted

Absolutely lashing it down with rain. Typical.

Words can't describe how annoyed this makes me after days and days of cold but nothing more than light stuff coming across us. Only when the milder air moves in do we become a hot spot for precipitation.

I don't know why I bother sometimes, the weather will do what it wants and it's scarcely what I want. nonono.gif

Posted

Are we likely to see snow again next month?

A reasonably good chance of seeing some I would think. Even an average February produces a couple of days with lying snow in your area.

Rather surprisingly yesterday morning's 'rainfall' of 30.9 mm here made it the wettest January day since 1995.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted

That was a rough night with wind and lashing rain.Me patio chairs are strewn across the lawn ! Sunny and calmer now temp @ +7.4c.

Edited by roymeboy