Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Posted

The 2010 snow event, although ti did deliver some snow in my area ( about 1/2 an inch, or 10cms ) it was no where near as much as other places had, likewise with whats just gone, it always seemed to eb a fraction to the North/sorth/East or West.

could this be because of the River Trent/ Ratcliffe powerstaion?

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A very fast thaw today, I bet the rivers and brooks will be running full bore, will be going a walk later down the dale later, should be interesting !

Temp 4.8c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The 2010 snow event, although ti did deliver some snow in my area ( about 1/2 an inch, or 10cms ) it was no where near as much as other places had, likewise with whats just gone, it always seemed to eb a fraction to the North/sorth/East or West.

could this be because of the River Trent/ Ratcliffe powerstaion?

Nothing to do with the Trent or the power station, Rich. In relation the atmosphere and weather systems in general they are miniscule features.

It's just bad luck, as far as you're concerned, that your area was just a bit too far south to feel the effects of the persistent lines of snow showers feeding in from the North Sea in Nov/Dec' 2010 and that, in the recent snow event, you were both a bit too far south and too low. Altitude made a lot of difference on Friday night.

Posted

A continued thaw today but still a lot of lying snow. Although the temperature is generally around 4.5c there's a strong W/SW wind which makes it feel much colder.

Overall snow cover, from what I can see from the window at work, is about 85% but there are still large areas with 100% cover.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow ,Frost

Thought it was going to be dry and sunny ,just went cloudy and had sleet and raining now

Posted

Went for a walk down Middleton Dale today with the mutt, which is the head of the river Bradford, i used to look after this part of the river with the Wye and Lathkill when i worked on Haddon Estate as river warden until 11 years ago, I have never seen such a bore of water bubbling out of the ground, it's running well over the clapper bridge and i only just made it across ! experience tell's me this will get worse as it usually takes around 24hr's to peak at this part of the river, will be interesting what it looks like tomorrow with yet more thawing of snow.

Temp 3.2c

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Please carry on here

Old thread here ------------>

Posted

I have just seen a flash, but I don't know if it was lightning. I was looking out the window at the moon, trying to decide whether it was full or not, and I saw a flash in the clouds to my right. I was staring intently at the area after that for several minutes but saw nothing else. I checked the lightning detector and nothing's there for the West Midlands (but I do see some lightning showing up again in Wales) and nothing showing up on the rainfall radar either. So I just don't know! It did look like lightning though.

Edited by Eabie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Oh shiny new thread! Well today the snow's all gone, was very windy and not terribly pleasant out. Had a little very light rain earlier, currently 2.9oC, reached 6.0oC this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

miss my snow, still patches left, but got to 9.1C in the early hours, not been wet today thank heavens, just fleeting shower, hope its like this rest of week, although the wind pain in the *ss

Posted

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/120751.aspx?stationId=2150

Further downstream, the River Dove is approaching record high levels in south Derbyshire and still rising. It looks wet but not excessively so, so hopefully the worst will be over soon enough.

Posted

Without the wind today would have felt quite pleasant. One or two quick bursts of rain came along.

Today's highlight was a rainbow.

Posted

Plenty of snow left to thaw here at the southern end of the Peak District. The snow has now frozen but there's still a 90% cover of 13.5cm remaining, apart from on the exposed tops where much of it blew into drifts; there the cover is around 50 or 60%.

The water equivalent of the snow, plus the rainfall from last night, amounts to almost 45 mm here so no wonder the rivers are full.

Posted

Well for Nottingham the cold spell went out with a whimper Friday night, an hour or so of Rain /Freezing Rain then sleet until finally some snow with massive flakes, sadly the damage had been done by the earlier rain meaning snow amounts weren't that great.

Anyway now that cold spells over I pray for some dry weather so my junior football team can start playing football matches again however it looks like rain & then more rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Enjoying it feeling a little milder in all honesty, bit of a mix of weather is much better. Some heavy looking rain to the west coming in from that band.

Posted

A very fast thaw over the last 12 hrs here, still got around 55% snow cover but the with strong winds and heavy rain have stripped west faceing slopes with only snow shadows remaining under the walls and hollows.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

I have just seen a flash, but I don't know if it was lightning. I was looking out the window at the moon, trying to decide whether it was full or not, and I saw a flash in the clouds to my right. I was staring intently at the area after that for several minutes but saw nothing else. I checked the lightning detector and nothing's there for the West Midlands (but I do see some lightning showing up again in Wales) and nothing showing up on the rainfall radar either. So I just don't know! It did look like lightning though.

Doubt it was lighting not even showers in Warwickshire that time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow or hot

Very very windy and showery here in Stratford Upon Avon at the mo. Wasn't expecting it TBH as the forecast haven't really said much.

Posted

Ok guys, check this out, look how strong the winds are over central England, let alone Wales, not much been said about this??!! ohmy.png

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Posted

Still about 80% snow cover here as the whole area faces east, north east and north. Some distant ( about 6km away ) west facing slopes at a lower altitude have about 10-15% snow cover.

I would think tonight will do some damage to the cover though as the temperature is forecast to be around 6c all night.