Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ----->

A.J

Posted

Agreed. Although the majority of us should be OK to see a snow event. Dew points and temps should be holding up better over here according to the charts. You're right though, the marginality of snow to rain is more of a concern than the track of the precipitation.

Countesthorpe weather station has dropped to 0.6c from 1.1c in an hour. Dew point is -2c. Why the talk of rain? Are you forecasting a rogue warm sector ahead of the front?

Posted

Countesthorpe weather station has dropped to 0.6c from 1.1c in an hour. Dew point is -2c. Why the talk of rain? Are you forecasting a rogue warm sector ahead of the front?

I was just replying to another comment about the rain being reported in the West Midlands, saying that rain is more of a risk than the precipitation missing (I think both is very unlikely).

Have also just checked out the local weather station, and pretty similar temps to the Countesthorpe one. Also just checked a station just west of Birmingham, showing dew temps of only just below freezing, and temps above. Explains the marginality over there. We'll be fine.

Posted

I was just replying to another comment about the rain being reported in the West Midlands, saying that rain is more of a risk than the precipitation missing (I think both is very unlikely).

Have also just checked out the local weather station, and pretty similar temps to the Countesthorpe one. Also just checked a station just west of Birmingham, showing dew temps of only just below freezing, and temps above. Explains the marginality over there. We'll be fine.

You should be in the sweet spot, with the ppn arriving once your air temps are good and low. That section currently moving through Wales looks very beefy. I'll be there soon - my train from London dry all the way so should be able to relax and enjoy the snow with a cold one safely ensconced at the folks' manor.

Posted

Tension is gripping now, seem to have been on the edge of the heavy stuff for ages, still light snow here, temps have fallen slightly again now at -0.6

were at 1.6 a couple of hours ago, so holding steady. Have about an extra 1cm from the heavy shower about 40mins ago.

come on get a move on.clapping.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Light snow here after a short spell of moderate snow around 1800; about 1cm of fresh snow with drifting of old and new snow in the fresh-strong S wind. Temperature is -1.6c and the maximum today was -0.6c.

The heavy snow ( I'm assuming it's all snow ) seems to be heading across Staffordshire at the moment, and hopefully right over my house.

Posted

Light snow here after a short spell of moderate snow around 1800; about 1cm of fresh snow with drifting of old and new snow in the fresh-strong S wind. Temperature is -1.6c and the maximum today was -0.6c.

The heavy snow ( I'm assuming it's all snow ) seems to be heading across Staffordshire at the moment, and hopefully right over my house.

send some down the Derwent Valley TM.

drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Sleet back to snow now and falling moderately with some large flakes in there. Starting to stick now too. Loads of precipitation to the west but the very heavy stuff looks to hit Derby as opposed to me.

Posted

It appears to be more in the way of upper air temps the problems further west not ground temps. You could go from snow to rain despite temps being lower at surface level than when it began snowing. That's why I am slightly concerned. Hopefully though we being further east should be ok.

Posted

Started here with heavy sleet and windy, temp down to +0.8c.

Edited by roymeboy

Posted

Really windy here now and big Snow flakes (1/2 crown size)and ice pellets. Temp down to +0.7c

Edited by roymeboy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Wow just checked outside and chucking it down with snow :)

Only temporarily mind, looking at the radar. There is a several hour gap and then heavy stuff later into the night.

Heavy snow though :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Heavy snow just arrived here and its covered pavements in just 5 minutes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Windy, blowing every, not huge flakes maybe 5 or 10p in size but really coming down steady, only been a few minutes and already a nice dusting. Will have a 1cm cover within 15minutes i'd imagine.

Posted

Thin covering in no time as someone else has said a gap of around 2hours possibly now though before some more arrives. Hopefully itl be snow then to :)

Posted

temp down to +0.4c here now and snowing .ground temp dropped to 0c now.

Edited by roymeboy

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Well that was cutting it very fine ! just managed to get back from Sheffield over Fox House before the heavy snow arrived, very heavy now here, thank god im home and safe ! time for a wee dram and a night of radar watching ! roads already covered here now.. Im expecting lot's of drifting later.

Temp -1.7c

Dp -2.6c

Wind chill -6.6c S/S/W Gusting 16mph

Edited by Polar Maritime