Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

it's been a strange cold spell though, although the snow cover hasn't melted, the temps haven't been that severely cold. Saying that, they haven't risen much above freezing either over the past week or so. I'm suprised we haven't had some really cold nights though as is usually the case, especially in our region. I'm just making the most of this spell before the mild floods back in over the weekend. I know we still have another 2 months of possible cold and snowy spells but this could be our one and only wintry spell this winter, you never know.

Posted

it's been a strange cold spell though, although the snow cover hasn't melted, the temps haven't been that severely cold. Saying that, they haven't risen much above freezing either over the past week or so. I'm suprised we haven't had some really cold nights though as is usually the case, especially in our region. I'm just making the most of this spell before the mild floods back in over the weekend. I know we still have another 2 months of possible cold and snowy spells but this could be our one and only wintry spell this winter, you never know.

We have had a lot of cloud cover during the period, which has kept it cold during the day but at the sametime stopped the tempertures dropping dramatically at night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

New Metoffice update. Amber boundaries have changed, snow amounts changed, and potential for more snow in some areas. Still no mention of rain ?

Further snowfall will continue to spread from the west, as another weather front slides eastwards across the UK. Snow will be concentrated in Scotland on Friday afternoon, before extending to much of northern and central England during the evening, clearing towards midnight.

4 to 10 cm is likely quite widely within the amber warning area, with a low risk of more than 10 cm locally even on lower ground. Accumulations of 10 to 20 cm may occur in some upland areas of northern England and Scotland. Strong winds will also lead to drifting and blizzard-like conditions, particularly over higher level roads.

This update adjusts the boundaries of the amber warning area a little further west and south across the Midlands, and just intersecting the corner of northeast Wales near Wrecsam, as well as extending further northeast across Borders and Lothian.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Amber Warning of Snow for East Midlands :

Derby, Derbyshire, Leicester, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire & Rutland

Valid from: 1100 on Fri 25 Jan 2013

Valid to: 2359 on Fri 25 Jan 2013

Further snowfall will continue to spread from the west, as another weather front slides eastwards across the UK. Snow will be concentrated in Scotland on Friday afternoon, before extending to much of northern and central England during the evening, clearing towards midnight.

4 to 10 cm is likely quite widely within the amber warning area, with a low risk of more than 10 cm locally even on lower ground. Accumulations of 10 to 20 cm may occur in some upland areas of northern England and Scotland. Strong winds will also lead to drifting and blizzard-like conditions, particularly over higher level roads.

This update adjusts the boundaries of the amber warning area a little further west and south across the Midlands, and just intersecting the corner of northeast Wales near Wrecsam, as well as extending further northeast across Borders and Lothian.

Issued at: 1239 on Fri 25 Jan 2013

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=em&from=rss&sn=CF997B34-2D50-67DF-F8D5-6C7264160BC3_3_EM&tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=7&lon=-0.39&lat=52.71&fcTime=1359028860

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Amber Warning of Snow for East Midlands :

Lincolnshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Leicester, Northamptonshire & Rutland

Valid from: 0005 on Sat 26 Jan 2013

Valid to: 0330 on Sat 26 Jan 2013

Snow will continue across parts of eastern England during the early hours of Saturday morning, although it may turn briefly to rain as it clears. Some heavy snowfall may occur, particularly towards the north of the Amber warning area, and across the Chilterns, where 5 to 10 cm of snowfall may accumulate in just 2 or 3 hours. The sleet and snow will ease, then clear before dawn.

The public should be prepared for some disruption, particularly to travel, within the affected area.

Issued at: 1331 on Fri 25 Jan 2013

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=em&from=rss&sn=3E978323-42BB-8009-88B7-71C70C79CA8D_1_EM&tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=7&lon=-0.39&lat=52.71&fcTime=1359028860

Posted

Hi , can anyone post the chart that indicates estimated snow depths for tonight ?

Posted

Hi , can anyone post the chart that indicates estimated snow depths for tonight ?

First chart is for the next 18 hours for precipitation in mm accumulated.... Second is snow accumulations over the next 15 hours. Should be taken with a pinch of salt, as not always entirely accurate. At this timeframe though, it's a fairly good guide as to what to expect!

13012606_2_2512.gif

13012603_2_2512.gif

Posted

First chart is for the next 18 hours for precipitation in mm accumulated.... Second is snow accumulations over the next 15 hours. Should be taken with a pinch of salt, as not always entirely accurate. At this timeframe though, it's a fairly good guide as to what to expect!

13012606_2_2512.gif

13012603_2_2512.gif

Thanks. Someone really needs to get a grip in the Weather Online design department. Why they insist on using 10 shades of pink is beyond me. Just makes it very hard to read. They should use different colours!

Posted

NMM 12z has more of it as rain now for our area.. oh well.

Posted

Ramming it down here in Buxton, everything is white over again !! Good to go out with a bang , looking forward to the next cold spell !!

Posted

NMM 12z has more of it as rain now for our area.. oh well.

Surprised at your negativity. East

Midlands is the sweet spot.

Posted

Surprised at your negativity. East

Midlands is the sweet spot.

I am hoping for snow and I think we will see some, but NMM had us down for snow previously and now all rain, thats all. I do hope it's wrong and the NAE is right :)

Posted

I am hoping for snow and I think we will see some, but NMM had us down for snow previously and now all rain, thats all. I do hope it's wrong and the NAE is right :)

Air temp at Countesthorpe is 1.1c Dewpoint -1c. Should be safely snow I'd think

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Wow that massive heap of red on the radar is heading this way - will it make it or break up I wonder!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Started snowing here 15 mins ago, fairly light but settling very easily. Bodes very well for later.

Posted

Its gonner Be epic, huge train of showers coming up on SW to NE track, just got to keep intensity, and bingo, could top 38cm from 2 years ago, quite stiff breeze as well so maybe some drifting.

Posted

Wow that massive heap of red on the radar is heading this way - will it make it or break up I wonder!

Has snow arrived in Nottingham as yet?

Posted

Absolutely pouring with snow here, windy too!