Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 23z------------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

Anyone have a clear picture about where this leading edge snow is likely to fall on Friday?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Anyone have a clear picture about where this leading edge snow is likely to fall on Friday?

Unlikely to be in this region;

post-12721-0-35521300-1359015309_thumb.j

Further north and east.

Posted

Unlikely to be in this region; Further north and east.

and that looks to be transitory if it happens at all as it turns to sleet then rain :doh: I guess the rain is the next concern with all that melt water around too?

gfs_prec_eur48.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Morning all, Was really surprised to get a fair bit more snow last night.

Even more surprised when i had to journey from Frome to Glastonbury. Frome had snow on ground, up towards where the Tor works are loads of snow like it had just fallen, so not melted there at all, trees walls everything thickly covered, must of been about 7inches plus up there. Shepton had fair bit to but really odd, soon as i got to Pilton tiny patches then Glastobury compelely snow free, not one blob anywhere and mild. Local weather differentialsaround here are markedly different.

Apparently Bath had a snowmageden so i`m told.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Very weird i have to say with the negativity, okay its going to turn milder and also wet & windier, though that could easily change come two weeks time, look at this cold spell thats happening now! The models really struggled to show that it was about to happen, the same could happen as we head into February, all is not lost..

P.S Even if winter was to end now, i think many on here would be satisified with the snowfall they have had, bar those unlucky close to the coast and also far SW? good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Mark, agree, if someone brought on summer now i`d be happy that i`ve had my snow fix. 3 deluges in one week isn`t bad and a deluge at the very start of November to boot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Statistiatistics show between 1970-2000, Snow for many of us in our region laid on ground for between 5-10 days per year, Considering lots of years lucky to get any snowfall, this year many have had lying snow for 7 continuous days,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,From cold spell that really not produced deep cold, not bad for our region, We will see what February brings, but we not done too bad any more cold weather be bonus

post-18298-0-26368400-1359018674_thumb.j

Posted

Mark, agree, if someone brought on summer now i`d be happy that i`ve had my snow fix. 3 deluges in one week isn`t bad and a deluge at the very start of November to boot.

I know that not all of us have had snow, but many of us have. The strong wind on Friday was the first time in many years we have seen snow falling with strong winds. Its a case of be careful for what you wish for i feel.. We aren't going to see 10 foot drifts every year whistling.gif , but when we see 10-15cm we should appreciate and enjoy! Not worry about when the next time we may see the white stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Morning all, Was really surprised to get a fair bit more snow last night.

Even more surprised when i had to journey from Frome to Glastonbury. Frome had snow on ground, up towards where the Tor works are loads of snow like it had just fallen, so not melted there at all, trees walls everything thickly covered, must of been about 7inches plus up there. Shepton had fair bit to but really odd, soon as i got to Pilton tiny patches then Glastobury compelely snow free, not one blob anywhere and mild. Local weather differentialsaround here are markedly different.

Apparently Bath had a snowmageden so i`m told.

Happens quite often in snowy spells, either the snow misses this area completely or it melts a lot quicker down here. I bet on a satellite image now from south of the mendips there will be a big green blob.

I enjoyed the snow that was here but I'm starting to look for something warmer and drier, I'm most definitely a summer person. I really don't want to face another cool wet summer again and its impact on the insect life. We could do with a warm dry year to aid recovery of the bees and butterflies.

Posted

Happens quite often in snowy spells, either the snow misses this area completely or it melts a lot quicker down here. I bet on a satellite image now from south of the mendips there will be a big green blob.

I enjoyed the snow that was here but I'm starting to look for something warmer and drier, I'm most definitely a summer person. I really don't want to face another cool wet summer again and its impact on the insect life. We could do with a warm dry year to aid recovery of the bees and butterflies.

Just realised your Profile Pic was the picture i posted the other day! Your a fan of Rob then? He should still be broadcasting on our television screens rather than in the backroom :(

Temperature 0.4c here. We have 10cm of snow left.

Posted

Amazed to wake this morning and find a covering of snow everywhere here. Very unexpected as I thought looking at forecasts that we had seen the last of the snow for this area. Especially as the heavy rain had melted everything except the snowmen. Still I am not expecting this covering to last long once the temperatures rise a bit.

Currently 1.3C here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

As far as any snow fall for bristol area i think its best to wait till early this afternoon updated met office output .so many factors to take into account .time of arrival of front ,angle of attack , how fast its moving and lets see what tonights temp gets down to . odviously the further north and east you are i think the better your chances .Flooding over this weekend does become a big issue with copiouse amounts of rain possible into the forseable .as for the rest of winter ,everything to play for as northern hemisphere is very action packed at the moment . just in my area if we had seen the temp only 1 or 1.5 C colder the last week i would be talking snow big time .looking at todays modell output past about 8/9 days we could see some cold air starting to move south but a long way off .IF we did get a repeat ,and it would be nice ,FEB 1947we would all need matchsticks to keep our eyes open ,a glass of thatchers cider for the night shift of radar watching and a direct line to IAN FURGUSSON ,OUR GRIT BIN IS BEING TOPPED UP AS I SPEAK .drinks.gifdrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

I have to say, as much as I would love another cold spell, even if we didn't I am happy with what we have had. Still completely covered in snow in Princetown. I do hope we get it though for those who haven't had snow.

Don'y worry about the milder spell, from what I can tell its just a spell before the SSW kicks us all in the face!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Just realised your Profile Pic was the picture i posted the other day! Your a fan of Rob then? He should still be broadcasting on our television screens rather than in the backroom sad.png

Temperature 0.4c here. We have 10cm of snow left.

Loved Rob, one of my favourite weather presenters. I liked his presenting style and the twinkle in his eye with the cheeky grin at the end of his forecast use to make me smile. I was gutted when his was 'disappeared'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

How would everyone rate this cold spell? For me I give it 5/10 and the reason for that is the lack of deeper cold air and hard frosts, I also believe if the air could have been 2 or 3c colder we would be looking at better lying snow and Monday being more memorable for more. Don't get me wrong it is great still seeing lying snow but I crave for ice days and heavy falls ala 1987, I still hold hope for February although my hopes have been dashed slightly by METO LRF and what the models are currently showing. Here is to turn around in the current output and more cold to come as we see out winter, hopefully with a bangdrinks.gif

Posted

Loved Rob, one of my favourite weather presenters. I liked his presenting style and the twinkle in his eye with the cheeky grin at the end of his forecast use to make me smile. I was gutted when his was 'disappeared'.

Yep, there was a facebook page named 'Bring Back Rob McElwee.' i obliged to click the like button. He was fantastic and always had a saying at the end, in the 2010 cold spell, i can remember the last words, oh and then there is next week with a grin. Its a shame he was took off our screens, Rob, John Hammond, Alex Deakin are my favourites.

I'd rate the cold spell a 7/10. The 7 for the snow events we have had this week, we have really had very little in the way of cold nights, thanks to stubborn cloud. Tonight however could be a cold one, and if very cold i'd give it a 8/10 lol

Edited by Mark Neal.

Posted
Just found a video, of Rob at his best! Edited by Mark Neal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

- Just found a video, of Rob at his best!

Every time someone posts a video I can not see it just a blank screen? Anyone know what I need to do, it works on pc at work just not my home one? Edit: Windows 8 Edited by Blizzardof82

Posted

How would everyone rate this cold spell? For me I give it 5/10 and the reason for that is the lack of deeper cold air and hard frosts, I also believe if the air could have been 2 or 3c colder we would be looking at better lying snow and Monday being more memorable for more. Don't get me wrong it is great still seeing lying snow but I crave for ice days and heavy falls ala 1987, I still hold hope for February although my hopes have been dashed slightly by METO LRF and what the models are currently showing. Here is to turn around in the current output and more cold to come as we see out winter, hopefully with a bangdrinks.gif

Been good for snow and lying snow for week is good for south West, With deeper cold would have been right up in records for region,,,,,But deeper cold would have meant different synoptics that may have not brought in the snowy fronts, The models couple weeks ago did not show what we just experienced, So just have to note any developments after weekend, Meto giving temps for Feb around average, but this spell only had temps just below average, So no need to give up on future outlook, The concern for short term is poss flooding again,but hope not too disrubtive, Edited by cerneman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Statistiatistics show between 1970-2000, Snow for many of us in our region laid on ground for between 5-10 days per year, Considering lots of years lucky to get any snowfall, this year many have had lying snow for 7 continuous days,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,From cold spell that really not produced deep cold, not bad for our region, We will see what February brings, but we not done too bad any more cold weather be bonus

7 is alright but not quite my average 15 - 20 sorry.gif

So I shall expect the same again for february then good.gif

Still looking stunning outside today although probably last day before rapid thaw sets in. cray.gif

Just a shame that the SSW that everyone has harped on about is not going to produce early feb.

Edited by mullender83

Posted

7 is alright but not quite my average 15 - 20 sorry.gif

So I shall expect the same again for february then good.gif

Still looking stunning outside today although probably last day before rapid thaw sets in. cray.gif

Just a shame that the SSW that everyone has harped on about is not going to produce early feb.

Statistics and averages, like rules,,,,,,,, made to be broken

Posted

i'd agree with that Blizzard.

Even in an average winter we'd get a few more cold and sometimes snowy snaps.

i think that because it's all condensed into a week/10 days if feels better than it actually was.

Having said that a couple of areas have faired v well, like cotswolds, FoD and yday higher ground in somerset.

Another couple of decent falls in Feb will do me and push my score up to a 7 - and if a classic channel low turns up with a 24Hour blizzard it might get up to nearer 9!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Here is a better map with averages for our region for people to see. 14 - 28 IMBY is abit short this year so far tease.gif

Huge differences in a small area though!

post-8911-0-01064800-1359024595_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Here is a better map with averages for our region for people to see. 14 - 28 IMBY is abit short this year so far tease.gif

Huge differences in a small area though!

post-8911-0-01064800-1359024595_thumb.gi

Same here, still happy though, tomorrow will be a week of laying snow. Compared to last winter that is very good. I expect the rain will wash it away fairly fast tomorrow and through the weekend.