Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 22/01/13 23z------------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Here is a better map with averages for our region for people to see. 14 - 28 IMBY is abit short this year so far tease.gif

Huge differences in a small area though!

post-8911-0-01064800-1359024595_thumb.gi

Week of lying snow in your area not that unusual,being up in the lovely Mendips, But in areas like mine not unknown , but pushing the limits, Apart from the past classic winters

post-18298-0-00446900-1359026265_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

06z NMM model output out....this run goes for the chance of leading edge snow/sleet for the far north & east of the region (Gloucs/Oxon/Wilts/Berks).....quickly turning to rain though

Posted

Swindon looks good for a few hours of snow before turning to rain!!!

Posted

Sunny day,,,,,,,,,Temps 4.3c Still lying snow on hills, Ground turning very muddy in snow melt

post-18298-0-84620800-1359042815_thumb.j

post-18298-0-79472100-1359042947_thumb.j

Edited by cerneman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Sun has come out and it is glorious here in Fishponds, current temp 3.4c dew point below freezing for 1st time in days humidity 71%.

Posted

Here is a better map with averages for our region for people to see. 14 - 28 IMBY is abit short this year so far tease.gif

Exactly and thats the point i've been trying to make. The one spell in a winter doesnt quite do it for me. On average we'd see a few cold snaps or spells, wirh snow falling and laying, thruout winter at times, not just iver one week.

Posted

Animated the NMM for tomorrow from NW extra, rain and sleet mostly:

9784513e8998c0948d8bdb17e53aafb7.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

I'm in the 0-4 area. I've been here for 12 winters now and have only seen snow on the ground 08,09,10 and this past week. We only saw the occasional dusting before that if we were lucky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Exactly and thats the point i've been trying to make. The one spell in a winter doesnt quite do it for me. On average we'd see a few cold snaps or spells, wirh snow falling and laying, thruout winter at times, not just iver one week.

Agree Bristle boy as I said earlier it is also the temps that have been poor in this short cold spell, chin up though we are only just over half way through Winter.

Posted

Funny how the tip of Cornwall has more snow lying days than most of Somerset!!!

Posted

Chris Fawkes just went with front edge snow as far west as the New Forest and IOW in the south, which I was surprised to see.

It looks more in line with the ECM than the NAE. That said, nearly every NAE output I've seen over the last 2 weeks seems to underdo the snow potential when it gets on the tv, or indeed, the lamp post model.

Posted

Just popped out to Sainsburys here in Stoke Gifford, can tell the dew point has dropped its bone chilling cold out there and the snow is only slowly thawing, and then only on tarmac and man made stone structures in some spots. Its going to be mighty cold tonight if it stays clear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Week of lying snow in your area not that unusual,being up in the lovely Mendips, But in areas like mine not unknown , but pushing the limits, Apart from the past classic winters

That picture made me laugh I always get told at work I live in the strange world of gurney slade rofl.gif

Here is the mapped averages of what we should be aiming at for february! All I ask is that it could be average then I'll be happy to welcome spring. good.gif

post-8911-0-40619400-1359032556_thumb.gi

Posted

100% snow cover this morning at 9am for the 7th morning in a row, with another 1cm falling in the early hours. The temperature has only gone above freezing on 3 or 4 days out of the last 10 and only then for a few hours. Don't think it has gone above 2C at all. Had snowfalls of 13cm, 2cm, 3cm and 1cm. In low lying north east Hampshire - about 240ft - I think it has been an excellent cold spell.

Possibly be more on Friday (2-5cm?), although it will be a very wet and transient affair.

Posted

Chris Fawkes just went with front edge snow as far west as the New Forest and IOW in the south, which I was surprised to see.

I'd be surprised too, I'm thinking M4 Northwards more the zone and then only late on Friday - gone by Saturday morning?

Posted

Agree Bristle boy as I said earlier it is also the temps that have been poor in this short cold spell, chin up though we are only just over half way through Winter.

Yes, lack of deep cold at night another key missing ingredient.

Still, like u say another few weeks left, but don't worry i'm not one of the potential samaritan-jobs on the Mad disc thread - i can take it or leave it, generally.

Posted

So some coastal areas got a dusting of snow first thing, well the Southsea snow shield was up & working, only had a bit of very light drizzly rain here! cray.gif

Posted

No worries here.

Two of the greatest blizzards to ever hit the region 10 March 1891 and 19 February 1978.

I've just double checked the date .....it's the 24th of January, all day today!

Plenty of time yet, even if we rule out the next couple of weeks.biggrin.png

Edited by Kiwi

Posted

Fantastic to have a mostly sunny day making the scenery even better, Salisbury Plain looks at its' wintry best!

I wonder if the front tomorrow can be held back a few more hours to allow a temperature drop at sunset before it arrives, that would raise

the chance of snow for a larger part of the area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Traditionally I think low lying areas of west country do better in feb as sea is a little colder but we shall have to wait and see if this ssw can give us something

Posted

February 13 1979, Storm and high seas overwhelmed Chiswell Portland Dorset, Causing Some cottages to eventually having to be demolished

post-18298-0-68314100-1359039642_thumb.j

post-18298-0-55955400-1359039653_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

No worries here.

Two of the greatest blizzards to ever hit the region 10 March 1891 and 19 February 1978.

I've just double checked the date .....it's the 24th of January, all day today!

Plenty of time yet, even if we rule out the next couple of weeks.biggrin.png

My thoughts exactly, we have all of Feb and March for snow, I do find it funny how some people seem to think that once we reach the end of Feb that it's all over for snow, especially lying snow, heck we've had snow on the ground here in April before!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Have just got back from Wells........like another world! No Snow!!!!!! Weird.

I know what you mean, I am in Chudleigh today and its like it never had snow here. Still very cold.