Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 23rd January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

? that chart has snow for most of the eastern parts of the region...

Does the area where the green overlaps the blue not signify rain and sleet, if not then great and i stand corrected.

Posted

Some interesting tweets by Matt Hugo

Latest UKMO MESO model for 2100z blue is snow...what a mess!

http://mobile.twitter.com/MattHugo81/status/294488428215681025/photo/1

For N Eng/S Scot (inland) tmoz definitely a day for getting home as early as poss on Fri afternoon as by 1800z onwards it could be mayhem.

Above 250m in particular for N Eng may see over 20cm of snow within 6 to 9hrs from 1500z tmoz up to midnight. Some extreme conditions poss.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Some interesting tweets by Matt Hugo

Latest UKMO MESO model for 2100z blue is snow...what a mess!

http://mobile.twitte...5681025/photo/1

For N Eng/S Scot (inland) tmoz definitely a day for getting home as early as poss on Fri afternoon as by 1800z onwards it could be mayhem.

Above 250m in particular for N Eng may see over 20cm of snow within 6 to 9hrs from 1500z tmoz up to midnight. Some extreme conditions poss.

This is going to be the biggest snow event of this season. no doubt about that.biggrin.png Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Temp dropping now 3.8

Posted

This is going to be the biggest snow event of this season. no doubt about that.

would thar include me in that..please say yes lol

Posted

I'll be home by 5pm tomorrow, so I might miss the worst of it.... if this cold spell does indeed go out with a bang. I'm hoping that the backedge which will turn to rain, peters out so it will allow me one last day on Saturday to enjoy the snowfields. After than it's looking more like a week of milder westerlies.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

I'll be home by 5pm tomorrow, so I might miss the worst of it.... if this cold spell does indeed go out with a bang. I'm hoping that the backedge which will turn to rain, peters out so it will allow me one last day on Saturday to enjoy the snowfields. After than it's looking more like a week of milder westerlies.

I think a lot in our neck of the woods depends on altitude, places at 1000ft could well see some big drifts and it turning into a nearly all-snow event, still all to play for.

lots why?

Well i got about 3-4 inches on sunday so its not guaranteed to beat that - if the GFS verified we would not, if the NAE verified on the other hand, we could be looking at a six incher with some deeper drifts.

Posted

Temp still falling away down to -0.5C a drop of 1.5 degrees in the last hour.

Posted

I think a lot in our neck of the woods depends on altitude, places at 1000ft could well see some big drifts and it turning into a nearly all-snow event, still all to play for.

Well i got about 3-4 inches on sunday so its not guaranteed to beat that - if the GFS verified we would not, if the NAE verified on the other hand, we could be looking at a six incher with some deeper drifts.

oh ok cheers :)

Posted

don't think its going to drop below zero here, however I don't want to see snow if its going to rain shortly afterwards.

News in for anyone who likes to build snowmen! It reduces the risk of flooding! Partly due to snow compaction and it being harder to thaw! Get building.

Posted

I have a funny feeling tomorrow will just about sum up this cold spell being honest. Has there been a single snow event that hasn't had a big fat load of disappointment attached to it during this spell?

I'm insanely jealous of more or less everywhere else in the country right now!

Posted

I have a funny feeling tomorrow will just about sum up this cold spell being honest. Has there been a single snow event that hasn't had a big fat load of disappointment attached to it during this spell?

I'm insanely jealous of more or less everywhere else in the country right now!

Partly agree, to sum up the last 5 years when this all kicked off again, i have seen scenes i never ever thought i would see again and every winter apart from 09, i have seen a bigger depth of snow than any winter between 97 and 09 and most since the late 80s (i have moved about all over the country), it is tinged with a little disappointment however, because if i had stayed where i was pre - 08 (West Midlands) then i would have seen a lot more snow than i have, i have also been unlucky wrt moving somewhere and either the place i lived before getting peppered or the place i move to having a great last winter!, there always seems to be some places around 10-30 miles away from my location over the last 5 years which have had well over a foot of lying snow.

Posted

Ian Fergusson suggests that the Met ofiice are not running with the NAE unfortunately.

Not actually bothered. Him and Matt Hugo both said we wouldn't get snow earlier and we did! Lots of it! So

Probably a good sign for us haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

If this was supposed to be such a snowfest as e eryones talking about tomorrow, then why arent there red warnings?

Btw clearing skies here now, patchy cloud, temp gone down to 2.8

Posted

Not actually bothered. Him and Matt Hugo both said we wouldn't get snow earlier and we did! Lots of it! So

Probably a good sign for us haha

Hope your right and i still do think its heavy odds on we will get some, even on low ground in Manchester, however, what is still to be determined is how quickly it turns to sleet, it will turn to sleet and rain, that is almost inevitable, then it remains to be seen how quickly it peters out any if we can maintain a decent covering on saturday morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I think we will looking at a now cast event tomorrow, seeing the area's turn to rain gradually from the West.

I do expect to quite well out of this though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Would someone please explain to me how snow is expected to fall in most places tomorrow, even though GFS 12Z projects uppers of 0-2° by 18Z tomorrow? I would just think rain would fall with that, even if the surface temps are near or below freezing. I know the precipitation was expected to turn to rain anyway, but I don't see how it would be snow at all if those charts were proved correct. The temp is stuck at 2°C here and it's not moving. What an utterly CRAP cold spell for cold!

Edited by Chris R

Posted

If this was supposed to be such a snowfest as e eryones talking about tomorrow, then why arent there red warnings?

Btw clearing skies here now, patchy cloud, temp gone down to 2.8

Its not expected to be severe enough for a red warning, it wont last for a start although i suspect there will be aa fair few of us unable to post on here tommorow night due to power cuts, the amber warning may be upgraded to red tommorow although its more likely to be downgraded to yellow but i would say even if it is, a covering of snow is a certainty for almost the whole region.

I think we will looking at a now cast event tomorrow, seeing the area's turn to rain gradually from the West.

I do expect to quite well out of this though.

A brief but possibly extreme event in terms of intensity is my view.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

NOWCAST

The meto forecast issued this evening for tomorrow reads,snow spreading in lasting well into

the evening,turning to sleet/rain later in the night perhaps

That really says to meet they dont now how long the snow will last,i imagine on high ground

it may be an all snow event,giving some high accumalations,low ground i would say 5cm not out

of the question

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Diane oxberry will be on in few minutes. I bet Diane is glad that the cold spell is going to be over.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Diane oxberry will be on in few minutes.

HEAT WAVE

C.S

More at 10.30 with ENO

What kop out LOL

C.S

Edited by cheshire snow