Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 23rd January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I know we criticise the BBC North West forecasters but i suppose we should give some slack, think how much more money we would pay if all the regional forecasters were meteorologists as well as being trained in media, would anyone on here seriously pay x more money in tax and have all the regional forecasters properly qualified?, after all, the graphic is still the same as its model generated and its not like in this day and age we cannot find decent forecasts ourselves, i suppose my gripe is that i have lived in 2 areas that dont have qualified people presenting forecasts but other areas do, BBC Look North and Points West i can think of off the top of my head.

I would half the salary of the top man at the been, that should cover it.

Posted

I know many feel a disappointment with the fact that if we do receive anything like a heavy snowfall it won't stick around for long however given than many of us haven't seen a much more than a dusting I'm really looking forward to even the slightest possibility of a few hours 'proper' snow. I also don't mind wind and gales, anything even slightly dramatic is fine with me. It's the dull overcast mild drizzle that seems to define most of our seasons I can't cope with!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Some of the best snow events in my memory have occurred during Feb or March and that includes lying snow down to sea level, indeed April has in the past delivered severe wintry conditions to the UK but the very strong sun can make short work of it.

1.0c here with a biting SE'ly wind, I'll be happy with a few hours of heavy snow tomorrow but got a horrible feeling it'll just be rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Posted · Hidden by feb1991blizzard, January 24, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by feb1991blizzard, January 24, 2013 - No reason given

I would half the salary of the top man at the been, that should cover it.

Yes if they had to survive in the private sector they would be gone in 2 minutes a lot of these

Posted

Interesting forecasts for tomorrow. Looking good for a short period of snow for many. Dewpoint and 2m forecasts look favourable, but by 21z on both GFS and NAE, 850 hPa temps look to rise above freezing. Snow just can't be sustained with an an upper air profile like that, even with suitable conditions closer to ground level. My reckoning is snow in the afternoon but sleet and rain by evening. :-)

Posted

Never discount the chance of low level snow until may. As we move into feb the odds of northerly and easterly airstreams increase markedly, and march can and often does produce decent snowfalls under a northerly and easterly flows and we all know ebay an arctic blast in April can do. I dispair when people rule out snow ad early as late jan, ridiculous

Yes i agree and even in the south i dont think you can rule out a dumping in march, certainly you could still get a smash the floodgates Easterly until mid march at least, i would say -10 uppers in the SE are perfectly possible so certainly are in the NW, although i can see people not bothering after that as although a big dumping iss possible it really is unlikely, of course snow can fall the whole way through spring though.

Posted
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!

I know we criticise the BBC North West forecasters but i suppose we should give some slack, think how much more money we would pay if all the regional forecasters were meteorologists as well as being trained in media, would anyone on here seriously pay x more money in tax and have all the regional forecasters properly qualified?, after all, the graphic is still the same as its model generated and its not like in this day and age we cannot find decent forecasts ourselves, i suppose my gripe is that i have lived in 2 areas that dont have qualified people presenting forecasts but other areas do, BBC Look North and Points West i can think of off the top of my head.

That made me giggle because my brother (professional meteorologist) is almost always asked by people who don't know the industry 'ooh, a meteorologist - are you on the telly then?'!!! Obviously it's the *only* career choice for anyone with meteorological training!!! ;-)

Posted

Experienced many big overnight falls in April, especially the mid '70s. It's all gone by 11.am though.

What did you get from that early 80s one in late April?

EDIT : This one.

archives-1981-4-25-0-0.png?

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

On my 21st birthday in April in Kent we had heavy snow - yet three days earlier we had a family party and were playing badminton in the back garden in t-shirts!

Currently it's -2 with clear skies and frosting up nicely here - and Manchester Airport assures me that the dewpoint is -5 and humidity 80%.

Posted

Don't remember I'm afraid, I'd started drinking beer by then! EDIT was a reply to Feb1991, forgot to quote. I blame the beer again!

Edited by davehsug

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Last post of the day. Just checked on mod thread - v interesting comments this evening re latest output. Eg chio saying:

There is a really strong signal for the Canadian vortex to regain strength west of Greenland - splitting away again from the Eurasion based Siberian vortex after a brief flirtation. This may hold the key to future height rises to the north of the UK.

Also this deep in FI but its bringing lots of interest:

http://forum.netweather.tv/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=157601

Dare I say it? Greeny High (and Norwegian High as it happens)

Maybe...just maybe (GP over there always said February...)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I'm not from the NW but needed to add that last winter (whilst living in West Yorkshire) the heaviest snowfall by a long way was on the 4th April and the snow stuck around for the next 2 days. There was over a foot of snow in one night, with gale force winds creating drifts and blizzard conditions. Snow can easily fall in April, nevermind February (which incidentally is generally our snowiest month).

Will be keeping an eye in here tomorrow to check out what is coming my way :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Last post of the day. Just checked on mod thread - v interesting comments this evening re latest output. Eg chio saying:

There is a really strong signal for the Canadian vortex to regain strength west of Greenland - splitting away again from the Eurasion based Siberian vortex after a brief flirtation. This may hold the key to future height rises to the north of the UK.

Also this deep in FI but its bringing lots of interest:

http://forum.netweather.tv/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=157601

Dare I say it? Greeny High (and Norwegian High as it happens)

Maybe...just maybe (GP over there always said February...)

Lol ibe just been reading that myself in the mod thread :) thanks for posting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers, cold winters.

what times this meant to start tomorrow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

-2.0C now with a very low dew point. Bodes well for tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

0.8 here and dropping, its pretty cold out there for the first time in ages!