Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 23rd January 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Yes, blue skies to end the day here in Cheshire. Should get down to -5C or so tonight. :)

Posted

Temp was at 4.7c at it's highest today, currently 3.6c. Tomorrow looks like the last hoorah for cold and snow for quite a while, maybe even the rest of winter, once we see the longwave pattern reset itself to what it was pre-January.

Posted

Off to make my snowman fatter maybe it will last longer.

They said on Daybreak that if will all build snowmen it will help slow down the flooding next week as they take longer to melt lol

Posted

Clouded over again from the west ahead of the advancing weather front, temp fallen slightly 2.7c.

is that good or bad?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Whats the general concencus on here then, NAE says an almighty blizzard possible as far West as Manchester, i wont be fully on board though until i see the GFS fall in line, GFS sticking to its guns and says quick snow to rain. also the Amber warning looks further East on the BBC forecasts than it is on the MO.

prectypeuktopo.png

Turning to rain at 1800.

13012600_2412.gif

Still an almighty blizzard at midnight.

Posted

Don't know why, but I'm rather skeptical of tomorrow, I think it's mostly because it's an event that won't really last.

Posted

Met Office going for temps as low as -10 in some parts tonight, slightly optimistic perhaps?

I agree, and optimistic like most of this week too!

Posted

IMBY temperatures have only dropped below freezing twice during this cold spell.

IMBY temps have hardly rose above freezing if at all for nigh on 2 weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Latest Met Office update for the NW

Friday:

A cold start with some brightness. Increasing cloud will bring snow through the afternoon, lasting well into the evening, perhaps turning increasingly to sleet and rain later in the night. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Temp still falling away even with the cloud and noticeable breeze picking up, 1.6c with a dew point of -1.0c.

Posted

Really liking the NAE charts the 12z was a slight upgrade. Snow starting around lunchtime and even by 6pm the snow is still falling with some interesting accumulated snowfall totals.

post-9615-0-18968400-1359046409_thumb.gipost-9615-0-70562200-1359046417_thumb.gipost-9615-0-65356800-1359046433_thumb.gipost-9615-0-44236600-1359046441_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Well temps dropped to 4.4 here from 4.9 earlier and its never even got to a freeze here at all since a few week before christmas! Cant see it freezing tonight either.

What a bummer though all that snow then tuning to rain, how depressing! Saying that though it seems to be everything they forecast doesnt come off we get our snow as a suprise and not when forecasted, someone else on here said the same thing the other day. I hope im proved wrong!

Posted

Really liking the NAE charts the 12z was a slight upgrade. Snow starting around lunchtime and even by 6pm the snow is still falling with some interesting accumulated snowfall totals.

post-9615-0-18968400-1359046409_thumb.gipost-9615-0-70562200-1359046417_thumb.gipost-9615-0-65356800-1359046433_thumb.gipost-9615-0-44236600-1359046441_thumb.gi

Agree, to say i like the NAE 12z would be an understatement of the year, from an IMBY perspective, there is an outside chance i could be looking at one of my top 10 ever snowfall events, and the BBC graphic of snowfall looked not far behind it, the MO map not quite as good with it turning to sleet here by 9pm, and the GFS a heavy but fairly brief snow event here with a sleety damp squib everywhere west, NMM does not look good on meteo but that was the 6z and not user friendly for viewing uk, be interesting if Ian Fergusson could post in the MO discussion once the UK4 has updated.

Posted

Not sure if this is the UK4 or another MO model but this has sleet for me but snow for cumbria at 2100.

http://twitter.com/M...5681025/photo/1

EDIT : closer inspection it seems sleet for most of the region by 9pm.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

I'm sceptical about even the GFS snow spread. And the impact of any fall will surely be reduced by rising ground temperatures, which all the models seem to have undershot significantly. I hope!

Posted

Not sure if this is the UK4 or another MO model but this has sleet for me but snow for cumbria at 2100.

http://twitter.com/M...5681025/photo/1

EDIT : closer inspection it seems sleet for most of the region by 9pm.

? that chart has snow for most of the eastern parts of the region...