Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I now dont know whether it was sleet and only the snowflakes were showing up on the lamposting or whether it was PPN intensity problems, a bit of both would be my guess looking back at it.

It's very rare for the people in Saddleworth to get less snow than say me in Oldham South Central - although I notice cfallon got upto or over a foot from that Friday two weeks ago and he lives in Saddleworth - so I guess you were a little unlucky. The precipitation most have died a little on those fringe areas out the very east of the NW region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

It's very rare for the people in Saddleworth to get less snow than say me in Oldham South Central - although I notice cfallon got upto or over a foot from that Friday two weeks ago and he lives in Saddleworth - so I guess you were a little unlucky. The precipitation most have died a little on those fringe areas out the very east of the NW region.

Yes, i still got some but that was a realy anomaly of a situation, people West of Manchester were getting higher totals which is very rare in a battleground situation, i dont think you can categorise Saddleworth as usually getting more than Oldham because places like Sholver at nearly 1000ft can sometimes get more than me at 600ft, as i say though that descrepancy was riduclas and i bet that has not happened very often before.

Anyway - good luck all tommorow and will be awaiting tommorow eagerly but not getting my hopes up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Not much change in the forecast this morning,

Showers getting going across the region during the day and winds increasing.

As is usually the case, some may get little but others could be buried but I would have thought that most in the region should have something by this time on Tuesday although towards the coast it could be more sleet than snow.

It looks like tomorrow's warm sector is coming more into play and showers, especially later in the day could turn less wintry, even with altitude.

Posted

MetO have heavy rain showers all day here then heavy snow from midnight, turning back to rain later in the day. Nothing will settle as the ground is already totally soaked. Just think that snow will be a problem blowing around while falling. It's already really windy this morning.

Posted

Sticking also depends on how much graupel are in the showers. Get a couple of heavy graupel showers in quick succession and you will have temporary covering. Graupel lasts longer on the ground than snowflakes.

Don't be surprise if the lawn looks a bit whitish tomorrow morning. Graupel and hail tends to stick in grass for a length of time.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

was soaked here the other week and no issues sticking once it got heavy.even on gritted roads

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I think you're all underestimating what the irish sea can do when it gets going!!

Posted

MetO have heavy rain showers all day here then heavy snow from midnight, turning back to rain later in the day. Nothing will settle as the ground is already totally soaked. Just think that snow will be a problem blowing around while falling. It's already really windy this morning.

The ground being wet will not stop the snow settling if it's heavy enough. and of course temps are conducive also.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Hold your horses will ya, this evening and tonight is when things should really kick off.

Posted

I am down for only 15% chance of snow for my area.

So you can see why im not excited

Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station

My location down to 0% for today but at 60% for tomorrow just going to have to wait and see what happens

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow

Chris, do you think we will get much? Bearing in mind I am just across the water from you and could probably wave lol

Posted

http://www.weatheron...S=0&WMO==

Latest NEA still got snow for Mcr tonight into Tues, may be marginal at first, elevation will help. Looks like a mild sector into thuirsday as winds vear more Northerly.

anyway as usual, lampost around 10 ish tonight and hopefully it will be white in the morning.

Edited by cheshire cat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Just been looking in the scotland thread, they have snow already, so its on its way

Posted

starting to get excited now ha, i know it means no motorbike to work and having to get a taxi but bring it on!!!

Posted

Raining here

wait til after dinner mate

Posted

Chris, do you think we will get much? Bearing in mind I am just across the water from you and could probably wave lol

I don't know about actual sticking snow, but I certainly think we will get battered by very heavy and lively hail showers overnight if nothing else, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear quite a bit of thunder as well. If the temp falls low enough during the showers then anything that falls could well stick around.