Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Temp up to 7.2c here and just had a 66mph gust, it's not really fit out atm.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

felt bitter out on the bike at dinner, the clouds had that snowy look to them even though at ground level its clearly too warm. hopefully not too long now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Strange looking amber warning zone from Met O.

Eastern parts of Greater Manchester and the extreme east of Lancashire are forecast to have up to 6 inches of snow overnight. but the bit i can't understand is why the narrow band, obviously the effect of a streamer of some sort then peps up and goes east across the Pennines and into the North midlands but leaves areas to the west with conditions not considered worthy of the higher warning.

Possibly this is due to uppers in the west of the region not being low enough to support snow and instead getting rain or sleet but if not then it does seem funny that an Irish Sea streamer gives more snow to areas 50 miles inland than those on the coast.

Posted

Strange looking amber warning zone from Met O.

Eastern parts of Greater Manchester and the extreme east of Lancashire are forecast to have up to 6 inches of snow overnight. but the bit i can't understand is why the narrow band, obviously the effect of a streamer of some sort then peps up and goes east across the Pennines and into the North midlands but leaves areas to the west with conditions not considered worthy of the higher warning.

Possibly this is due to uppers in the west of the region not being low enough to support snow and instead getting rain or sleet but if not then it does seem funny that an Irish Sea streamer gives more snow to areas 50 miles inland than those on the coast.

The west of the region will have more marginal conditions due to the wind coming from the Irish sea. Due points and temperatures will be higher in the west. However, I think snow should at times fall in the west too but maybe not much settling.

Karyo

Posted

Winds very strong

So is there any chance anyone can post a radar please

Posted

I'm at work so can't really give much attention but the regional bbc forcast online suggested showers overnight will turn increasingly wintry even to places out to the west, although obviously places with elevation to the east should do very well if the showers keep their intensity over land. Showers can be hit and miss so some will be unlucky and miss out I expect.

Posted

BBC weather looked great for most of us. Currently having a hail shower after rain showers in the AM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Temperatures going the wrong way here,been around 7c for much of the morning,now 8.7c

C.S

not so sure im optimistic for tonight most coverage i have seen doesnt even have temps dropping below zero until like late late into the night aded to that its very wet out there.

I'd be suprised if most places didnt see falling snow over the next 24hrs but lying snow? Unless your are 250m up i doubt there will much if any.

NAE does go for some accumulations overnight for east of the region but even that vanished as we head through tomorrow,just backs up my thoughts really.

Edited by happy days

Posted

Accumulations of snow are highly likely above about 100m. Looking like a very interesting night for the more southern parts of the region from south Lancashire over to Greater Manchester.

what do you reckon my chances are DaveMac??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Not sure where abouts you are but anywhere through South Lancs and into the more western parts of Greater Manchester are at high risk, looks like the North Westerly is about to deliver.

It's not really a NW'ly it's more a WNW'ly when the colder uppers are here. If it was a NW'ly I'd be getting excited

Edited by CreweCold