Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

not so sure im optimistic for tonight most coverage i have seen doesnt even have temps dropping below zero until like late late into the night aded to that its very wet out there.

I'd be suprised if most places didnt see falling snow over the next 24hrs but lying snow? Unless your are 250m up i doubt there will much if any.

NAE does go for some accumulations overnight for east of the region but even that vanished as we head through tomorrow,just backs up my thoughts really.

Even if we get snow cover it will be gone by lunchtime with the temperature rising to 4 or 5c and the showers turning to rain thanks to the mild sector of upper air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Im not arsed how long it lasts if we get snow like the other friday.

Posted

Not sure where abouts you are but anywhere through South Lancs and into the more western parts of Greater Manchester are at high risk, looks like the North Westerly is about to deliver.

near burnley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Whenever there is a north west streamer evap cooling kicks in and we get snow. Even right down to north midlands tets it. And there very unpredictable. They can come from nowhere. A small shower can back build and last for hrs. Like seen in 2009 2010

From the UK Met Office:-

North West England

Headline:

Some disruptive snowfalls overnight with blizzard conditions over some hills.

This Evening and Tonight:

Strong westerly winds blowing in frequent wintry showers. These merging into more prolonged periods of sleet and snow at times in southern areas. Disruptive snowfalls possible across the southern Pennines and parts of Greater Manchester by morning. Icy stretches forming. Minimum Temperature -3 °C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Real squally showers blasting through here producing rain/hail and very strong gusts over 60mph, roof tiles are bouncing and the chimney howling.

Posted

I'm not ramping this is a potentially severe period of weather and its rapidly closing in now.

Seems to be passing a few people by this..... Thats one of the most wintry forecasts I have seen for this region in a while, more wintry than a two weeks last Friday!

Seems to be passing a few people by this..... Thats one of the most wintry forecasts I have seen for this region in a while, more wintry than a two weeks last Friday!

I can't believe some people can't see its potential, possibly the most wintery weather we will see all winter!

severe by placement or would you say most places inland. Haha

Most places say 10 miles inland or so.

Posted

I'm not convinced yet. Generally speaking my area does well from a NW/W cold feed. A streamer isnt out of the question. It's a shame though as tomorrow temperatures will rise, melt the snow and rain will follow - so even if we do catch the odd heavy snow shower or not, i'm not that excited.

I'm not convinced yet. Generally speaking my area does well from a NW/W cold feed. A streamer isnt out of the question. It's a shame though as tomorrow temperatures will rise, melt the snow and rain will follow - so even if we do catch the odd heavy snow shower or not, i'm not that excited.

Lets just get the snow 1st. Looking colder as we head later on in the week.

Posted

Lets just get the snow 1st. Looking colder as we head later on in the week.

Not sure about that Dave. It's looking like a couple of ice days, -1C -2C etc with a brief warm up next week before temperatures cool off again. I dont see any real potential for snow besides showers.

Posted

I've seen a couple flecks of rain at most today, where's my hail?

you can have mine ..just been out in it OUCH my ears Edited by itsnowjoke

Posted

Have to agree with this. Although i'd be delighted if it snowed, i just can't see it being cold enough for decent snowfall (here) at least. Different set up to 2004 Christmas, there is too much mild air in the mix this time and more of a W'erly element to the wind. Wintry mix yes, sustained snow for those near the coast no.

Yet again those further South in the region will be more favoured as has been the case this winter.

Posted

Have to agree with this. Although i'd be delighted if it snowed, i just can't see it being cold enough for decent snowfall (here) at least. Different set up to 2004 Christmas, there is too much mild air in the mix this time and more of a W'erly element to the wind. Wintry mix yes, sustained snow for those near the coast no.

Yet again those further South in the region will be more favoured as has been the case this winter.

totally agree...no chance for us....whatever the forecast says....it just feels wrong..its too warm and surfaces are warm and wet..........here it will be wet windy and miserable...good luck to those in more favoured locations

Posted

totally agree...no chance for us....whatever the forecast says....it just feels wrong..its too warm and surfaces are warm and wet..........here it will be wet windy and miserable...good luck to those in more favoured locations

So no change there then w00t.gif

Posted

yeah i agree crappy day