Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Rather than repeat my thoughts on tonight, I've stuck it all in the convective thread for now:

http://forum.netweat...2/#entry2576581

The higher gusts should be more to the North of the region, but it will still be pretty gusty according to NMM

6ce640af52182d6dc933bcd26902a077.gif

Edited by Coast

Posted

Remember the torrential hail last night? It froze solid to my windscreen and where it had slid down a bit it entombed my wiper! Took me ages to clear it all off at 6 o'clock this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Channel low = Heavy snow

Rather than repeat my thoughts on tonight, I've stuck it all in the convective thread for now:

http://forum.netweat...2/#entry2576581

The higher gusts should be more to the North of the region, but it will still be pretty gusty according to NMM

6ce640af52182d6dc933bcd26902a077.gif

Better keep my window shut tonight then... :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Channel low = Heavy snow

Maybe a chance of back edge Snow Friday night into Saturday I hear In the model output. Haven't kept up with it for a few days but looking like then winds tonight are the 'headline' esp for Ireland. Looks one angry Atlantic for being held back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Was Quiet this area last night, This morning started with some sunny spells, Now cloudy and wind getting up, Just starting to rain

post-18298-0-95701200-1359372942.jpg

Posted

Its all grey and cloudy here in Gosport, but stayed warm after the weekends temp increase.

Not much sign yet of any rain.

Temperature: 8.4 °C

Wind: 5 mph SW

Barometer: 1011.0 hPa

Humidity: 90 %

Todays rain: 0 mm

Monthly rain: 78 mm

Maximum temperature: 8.4 °C at time: 10:57 AM

Minimum temperature: 3.4 °C at time: 2:50 AM

Maximum gust today: 11 mph W at time: 1:13 AM

Edited by lettice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

We still don't get the kind of storms that happened quite regularly as the did in the late 80's early 90's....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I'm starting to get slightly annoyed by the Met Office warnings, it seems their criteria only works for certain parts of the country.

Twice we had large daily rainfall totals around here causing flooding all over the Purbeck area and not a single warning was put out. All the fields are still flooded with water levels are still very high and there's plenty of rain to come and yet no warnings appear. It seems they're relcutant to put one out even though 80mm+ has fallen in under a week.

Posted

I'm starting to get slightly annoyed by the Met Office warnings, it seems their criteria only works for certain parts of the country.

Twice we had large daily rainfall totals around here causing flooding all over the Purbeck area and not a single warning was put out. All the fields are still flooded with water levels are still very high and there's plenty of rain to come and yet no warnings appear. It seems they're relcutant to put one out even though 80mm+ has fallen in under a week.

I'm not sure where the division between a weather warning and a flood warning comes? Maybe it's the Environment Agencies area of expertise/responsibility to warn people?

Edited by Coast

Posted

I'm not sure where the division between a weather warning and a flood warning comes? Maybe it's the Environment Agencies area of expertise/responsibility to warn people?

This isn't really an issue with them, they were tweeting about flood warnings long before the Met Office. My beef is actually three separate occasions now i've looked. The 12th saw 28.2mm here, the models picked it up nicely, so why wasn't there a warning for that?

The same goes for last Tuesday when the snow event was on the horizon, 34mm of rain fell in 12 hours before any snow turned up. Corfe Castle ended up flooded again, many roads were impassable all over the area, again, no warning. Three days later, 21mm falls, no warning. A further 20mm has fallen in the last few days as well. There should be more warnings out right now too in my opinion, especially for convective gusts issues slightly further north. I don't often rant about the Met Office as i think they do a sterling job but something has gone awry recently and a lot of warnings have been overlooked.

This kind of sums up my thoughts about it .. lol

post-15177-0-95787900-1359376744_thumb.p

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

The same goes for last Tuesday when the snow event was on the horizon, 34mm of rain fell in 12 hours before any snow turned up. Corfe Castle ended up flooded again, many roads were impassable all over the area, again, no warning. Three days later, 21mm falls, no warning. A further 20mm has fallen in the last few days as well. There should be more warnings out right now too in my opinion, especially for convective gusts issues slightly further north. I don't often rant about the Met Office as i think they do a sterling job but something has gone awry recently and a lot of warnings have been overlooked.

I'm not defending or supporting the Met O in this particular instance (and you know the local meteorology better than me, although I know the area well) but I have had similar levels of rain over that period without warnings too. I just wonder if it should be a flood warning that we are looking for first, then maybe a weather alert?

As for the wind and gusts later - it seems the area affected has changed a bit this morning and maybe they are being ultra-cautious?

Edited by Coast

Posted

As for the wind and gusts later - it seems the area affected has changed a bit this morning and maybe they are being ultra-cautious?

It does seem like there's been quite a change on the charts in the last 18 hours. The winds across the Southern part of Ireland are quite vicious at the moment and that falls quite closely inline with the last theta-e chart.

The progging for around 18:00 looks horrendous later, especially if they're already getting 70mph gusts of wind now .. ohmy.png

post-15177-0-96980700-1359377490_thumb.p

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Really need too start posting more!

Some really interesting weather by the looks of it moving in later, quite looking forward to the possibility of gales and heavy rain, my try and get some high tide footage if i can this afternoon or this evening depending on the time, I suspect waves most definatly be coming over the sea wall again.

anyway currently got some ligh rain on and off at the monent :), keeping an eye out to all that stuff out to the west

Posted

Some heavy rain now moving in from the west, along with the strength of the wind picking up, and spreading east to many areas during the afternoon. temp 8.6°C, dew point 7.1°C.

Posted

Steady rain with wind stronger, The worry is how quickly the river seems to be rising,, And do agree in weather warnings by Met office Seems at time to be more reactive in this area,

Posted

And do agree in weather warnings by Met office Seems at time to be more reactive in this area,

That's because we are not the SE or London!

We wurzels don't matter!wacko.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Well the main band of rain has now arrived, which came in very very quick, the wind has really picked up alot in the past hour!

Gusting to almost or just over 40mph already! Rain is rather quite heavy aswell now!

Temperature 9.0c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Strong SSW Wind 2 mph Gusting to 40 mph.. Rain..8.2ºC. Not nice on a hillcrest...

Posted

It's getting pretty rough here now, love it! smile.png

Might as well enjoy it, Nothing we can do about it

post-18298-0-51661000-1359386375_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Heavy Rain falling. Temperature 8.8c. Wind 25mph SSW, Gusting 45mph.. Very stormy out there! search.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Blowing a filly out there right now.

Plenty of rain to come this week, with frontal rainfall interspersed by convective rainfall and potentially further thundery downpours.

Then some cooler weather week 2 and possibly colder weather week 3.

Can't see anything boring about the upcoming weather, anything and everything is possible. Admittedly though, we don't need and want too many frontal rainfall events though. Could do without these.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Going to be a very windy evening commute;

post-12721-0-55010400-1359387487_thumb.j

(Hope the Irish have built bomb shelters) :p :p