Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

WInter Model Output Discussion 12z- 28/01/2013

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

I'm getting a sneaky feeling with the output at the moment, battleground scenarios don't need huge Greenland or Scandi highs, and the recent spell was in this vein and was pretty good for many, deep cold is wonderful but snow from the margins is also great.

Can we get two seperate snowy spells in one winter?? Haven't seen that often in the last 20 years! (long way to go either way yet though)

Feb 09 was good , the winter 09/10 right through to feb was very good and I remember seeing 3 inches on three consecutive Wednesdays on the trot , was weirded but great, that was on very low ground. So bar winter 09/10 I would agree.

I do feel as though this feb could well be fabulous . . .

Posted

All comments on the GFS & not one on the UKMO>..

me thinks people are looking at the wrong model!

Just in and reading through the posts was thinking the same myself. Much better t144 than GFS

and as has been mentioned the wedge of high pressure to the north. Could be a very good ECM

tonight. I wonder will the Euro's trounce the GFS in this up and coming pattern change its beginning

to look like it.

Posted

Despite the operational not quite delivering, fabulous set of GEFS ensembles tonight. All go cold at the 5th Feb and about half stay cold for the entire run.

This together with the promise shown by the Meto model gives us the clearest signal yet of another cold spell in February.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

So far , we have the ukmo , that at t120 looks good with strong cold polar northwest winds , and then by t144 we have a good long feed of northerly winds ,with the Atlantic high ridging into southeastern greenlands , so it would be cold but the potential from that point would be even better . Then we have the gfs that's also looks good , not as good , but still develops northern blocking and a disformed and disturbed PV , so lets see what the ECM brings, could be a full house.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Despite the operational not quite delivering, fabulous set of GEFS ensembles tonight. All go cold at the 5th Feb and about half stay cold for the entire run.

This together with the promise shown by the Meto model gives us the clearest signal yet of another cold spell in February.

Yes, the 12z ens are the coldest since the last cold spell (from the 5th) the scatter beyond the 8th has reduced significantly compared to the 00z and 06z, with more runs now sustaining the colder theme.

MT8_London_ens.png

Edited by chris55

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

120 looking decent from the ECM, slightly better than the UKMO for the same period.

Recm1201.gif

Edited by chris55

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

ECM if anything appears a little better than the UKMO @ 120

ECH1-120.GIF?31-0

UKMO:

UN120-21.GIF?31-18

Heights 10mb higher over GL (Although still surfaced based southern GL is less surface based

Also good to see very little PV west of GL and to the North of Canada where is has been plaguing us recently... roll on 144

Posted

ECM shows it being very snowy in Scotland on Tuesday. There's also also a nice kink in the flow around East Anglia. Further west would get showers in the NW flow. Win win!!

Chart posted below at t144 shows the low over Scotland slipping south. Maybe a marginal snow event from this? Uppers around -4c so maybe high ground only

Edited by Tim Bland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Hmmm

ECM1-168.GIF?31-0

Is that what I think it is?

Posted

?

WAA inbound.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Have to remember that temps will fall readily to close to freezing in any heavy ppn in these set ups.

Agree for most it will be a non or temp settling snow event especially as bands of showers will move through very quickly

The conventive possibilities is where the fun is at with this system, rather than sustained severe winter conditions - couldn't rule out thundersnow somewhere and if we get a trough a Jan 2004 (??) type event couldn't be completely ruled out

I agree re. convective possibilities- chances are somewhere will see thundersnow (most likely to the west of high ground) and hail is often widespread in that sort of setup. The GFS precipitation charts also show showery activity getting well inland.

Posted

?

WAA inbound off the eastern seaboard.

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2013013112/ECH1-192.GIF?31-0

Hum no bad.... snow possible for the west country- & snow for Scotland. :)

Im off for a week from Sat next week :)

S

850s are very marginal though in the range of -4 to -6 across most parts. By that time it should be a bit more imbedded though which will help.

Jason

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

All comments on the GFS & not one on the UKMO>..

me thinks people are looking at the wrong model!

and look at the ecm steve pretty good i agree the gfs starts good but dont float my boat beyond tuesday next week.

but ukmo and ecm so far really good.

Posted

The High over Russia has moved a couple Hundred miles west if we can get that into Scandy...

Posted

I can't decide whether I prefer the UKMO or ECM at 144hrs.

Theres a little less energy spilling east near Greenland on the UKMO and its wedge might prove a bit more resistant, lucky this is a UK forum and not a USA one, a lot of talking about wedges in here tonight!ph34r.pngwhistling.gif

Edited by nick sussex