Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 03/02/13 12z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

So Sunday could be a late one then, better stock the fridge up!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

First a big thanks to Ian FERGUSSON for his information ,Much appreciated .iv studied past news worthy snow events and their synoptic charts going back many years since probably charts were first used . We have good potential later this weekend and next week . obviously as we get nearer to the event detail will become clearer regards how deep the low gets and the track of the low and how slow or fast it moves ,and where any fronts finish up and of course how much cold air is around etc etc .but dont get down if you see cold rain and sleet falling and the ground covered in puddles ,iv seen some very good coverings of snow on top of such conditions .there is also the possibility of other features popping up next week at short notice ,so i would say we stand a very good chance of a wintry spell sun to wed .also dont take to much notice of temp forecasts on graphics on tv text and some other sites as quite often the computers that produce these quite often get it wrong or they become outdated quick .and remember this is a very complex evolving synoptic situation ,look at MET Office updated fax have a look at satellite pictures and there is a site called XC Weather where you can get fairly latest temp and dew points etc taken from the weather stations you see by our main roads etc .and dont forget if we miss out theres still plenty of time ,but at THIS STAGE i think we are ok ,but thats my view ,off for a coffee and sausage sandwich ,and get rid of evidence before my wife gets home ,cheers drinks.gif

Posted

Happy with the snowfall we had on the 18 Jan but it would be great to see one more event before the winter's finished. Would be a brucie bonus.

Posted

Happy with the snowfall we had on the 18 Jan but it would be great to see one more event before the winter's finished. Would be a brucie bonus.

Agreed, would be nice to get Cornwall in on the action to!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Agreed, would be nice to get Cornwall in on the action to!!

Indeed... The met office have warnings over cornwall for monday, and not for rain this time!!

Posted

Indeed... The met office have warnings over cornwall for monday, and not for rain this time!!

Yep I've seen. It must have been so so painful for them watching all to the east getting dumped on back in Jan, here's to hoping the entire south west/ South Central is up lamp post watching with a tipple of choice in hand all night, I no I will be if we are in with a shout!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

So the Met Office has gone yellow already, that just about nails it for us then tease.gif

Yes, away from the coast, it will now be SNOW. oops.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Mention of S word soon pricks up ears

post-18298-0-45204200-1360243020_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Yep I've seen. It must have been so so painful for them watching all to the east getting dumped on back in Jan, here's to hoping the entire south west/ South Central is up lamp post watching with a tipple of choice in hand all night, I no I will be if we are in with a shout!

I will be with you there!!

Posted

Guys, keep our feet on the ground here please... Fantastic insight again from Ian, great to have that sort of data being shared on here.... However, yellow warnings at 4 to 5 days out doesn't guarantee us snow... We had amber warnings when I was up in the east mids the other week, and they remained in place right through what was supposed to be a major snow event - nothing but rain.

This said, It's great to see that the Met Office deem the risk of snow to be high enough on Sun/Mon to issue these warnings already, a very positive sign for all cold lovers! Just keep our feet on the ground, and keep a close eye on the charts. Don't want too many sad faces in here if things don't go our way! smile.png

Posted

Yes, away from the coast, it will now be SNOW. oops.gif

ahem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Does anybody think this thread is developing into a rather silly mode of late, not that it had anything to do with me you understand. whistling.gif

Seriously, good to see even at this range that the MetO thoughts are broadly similar to mine right now.

This taken from my post last evening.

However, from the 11th February onwards, more especially the 12th through to the 14th February are dates to keep in mind for a much higher likelihood of SNOW in almost any of the aforementioned counties of England.

Let us hope the momentum can continue for another six to ten runs, not really much to ask, is it. crazy.gif

Posted

ahem

Purely intended for Dorsetbred, who is the most negative positive member of the Poole snow-watching faternity. rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy

Spotlight weather just said sigh officiant snow!!!!!

You know what word I meant (bloody phone)

Just a dialect thing 'cos I don't understand?! acute.gif

Posted

Purely intended for Dorsetbred, who is the most negative member of the Poole snow-watching faternity. rofl.gif

You right, I have lived in Poole for all my life, I've seen suggested snowfall events been discussed and quickly dispensed with. Negative, maybe, realistic most certainly based on many years of experience. I remain.....open minded but REALISTIC!

PS And of all people who love cold & snow, you are talking to one!

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Spotlight weather just said sigh officiant snow!!!!!

You know what word I meant (bloody phone)

Yeah I know what you meant lol, points west weather also mentioned the possibility of significant snow late Sunday info Monday morning and rush hour Monday morning could be interesting.

And before we get the usual posts about snow settling when it starts off as rain, yes it can easily settle when the temps drop, no matter how wet the ground is.

Posted

And before we get the usual posts about snow settling when it starts off as rain, yes it can easily settle when the temps drop, no matter how wet the ground is.

Will we see snow drifts in the channel??whistling.gif

Posted

And just to prove I am not in the slightest bit anti-Poole. The attached comes courtesy of the latest netweather forecast for said location.

post-7183-0-75679900-1360245641_thumb.pn

In fact, what a beautiful part of the world it is in places such as Arne and those Dorset heaths. drinks.gif

Posted

I remember January's event, this was snow falling on wet ground, it did not take long at all for it to settle, had it not been wet, we would probably have seen a few more cm's, but that was the only negative really.

If it's marginal in Poole, I'll head up to the New Forest for my action!!!

But more runs needed,my feet are firmly rooted, until +24 i will hold back to much excitement, I am just glad we are in with a shout, 2011/2012 was rubbish!!

Posted

And just to prove I am not in the slightest bit anti-Poole. The attached comes courtesy of the latest netweather forecast for said location.

post-7183-0-75679900-1360245641_thumb.pn

In fact, what a beautiful part of the world it is in places such as Arne and those Dorset heaths. drinks.gif

Edit: if it can snow over Dorsetbred's head then we should all take this as a huge positive. I am not tempted to type Newquay into the forecasting box just yet, but Cornwall is in with its best shout for snowfall this winter it seems. good.gif

If you Cornwall residents are brave enough, go ahead. help.gif

http://www.netweathe...tion=10day;sess=

Posted

Edit: if it can snow over Dorsetbred's head then should take this as a huge positive. I am not tempted to type Newquay into the forecasting box just yet, but Cornwall is in with its best shout for snowfall this winter it seems. good.gif

If you Cornwall residents are brave enough, go ahead. help.gif

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=10day;sess=

I was brave but fir me 0% of snow but chance if a storm!!!

Posted

Speaking of Cornwall and our region in general, check out the attached Fax Chart. Bear in mind, there are only eleven (11) shok.gifunsure.png surface features to keep track off at this range from a Northern Hemisphere perspective. It sure looks a difficult forecasting situation upcoming. ph34r.png

post-7183-0-17614400-1360246738_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

Could only happen in cornwall.

If you look closely at the warning,it actually misses out the far west (lands end etc)

Wouldn't want to be in penzance right now.

You would think that just for once,the meto would show a bit of compassion and include us all.acute.gif

p.s raining here now