Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 08/02/13 00z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Same as a few others in more CS parts in this SW & CSE thread, I have a few wet snowflakes blowing on the wind. Good enough for me, it's snow day for the records. good.gif

Our Oxfordshire residents are more than welcome in here, more especially those from the Southern parts. Anybody from the Northern part or not sure where to post should perhaps ask AJ, as an ex-Midlander, see whether he thinks North Oxfordshire posters should be posting in another thread. All we need to do is to be careful that those of us in the more Central parts, when reporting our avalanches of snowfall, don't upset the SW'ners as they will be hitting the cider before we know it. drunk.gif

Currently in Newbury, Berkshire it is 1.4c AT, 0.8c DP, 1020.2mb steady Barometer and WSW winds.

*not complaining when I'm seeing snowfall under SW winds*

Over the coming few days the marginality will fall off, so let's hope the precipitation doesn't after the main event on Sunday.

Technically South east but not included there and I guess given 20 miles from Warwickshire I guess if its snowing in the Mildands I will call myself south Midlands. drinks.gif

Spent most of my life living in Surrey , funny place north oxfordshire not really part of any 'region'. BBC news often mentions Brighton, Portsmouth etc

Anyway snow here settled on cars and grass but fizzling out now. Nice surprise. I wonder what is the snowest day of the year , probably around 9th Feb. Who can forget 9th Feb 1986 my 21st and the snow event then !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Morning. Just thought I would pop in here seeing as I've spotted a couple of fellow oxfordshire residents. Usually drift between here and the midlands thread biggrin.png

Currently snowing in Witney and a thin layer has accumulated on the grass in my garden.

So i hear latest guidance suggests tomorrows low has shifted south a bit?

Welcome fellow oxfordshirrian, we need to fight for a place to 'live'. Looks like Oxfordshire has done well this morning. I'm sure places like Brill Hil 500/600ft will have had a pasting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny summers, cold and snowy winters. Traditional seasons please!

Big wet snowflakes mixed in with rain here. Definitely not settling though. It has been like this for the past hour but, unless the rain stops and leaves just snowflakes, I can't see this coming to much!

I still have only heavy rain forecast for tomorrow, with a brief change to sleet early monday morning. So I will be keeping an eye on whether the low does shift south tomorrow. We will be out celebrating my son's 11th birthday so, from a selfish POV, could it wait until after 8pm??! I don't fancy being stuck in the car with 3 children fool.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

This regional thread must cover the most divergent weather type in the uk.

Just took daughter to ballet lesson,9 degrees on car thermoneter with overcast sky and no wind.

Feels almost balmy. Compare that to snow in oxford . amazing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Barely on topic but I thought the following article might be of interest to some.

http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/08/02/2013/137531/lives-lost-unless-flooding-risk-cut-says-farmer.htm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Seen my first through the window snow this winter, (but I am in bucks for the weekend).

Hope the marginal solidifies for you guys

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Seen my first through the window snow this winter, (but I am in bucks for the weekend).

Hope the marginal solidifies for you guys

Proof that he who travels, shall find!! Nice one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!

Welcome fellow oxfordshirrian, we need to fight for a place to 'live'. Looks like Oxfordshire has done well this morning. I'm sure places like Brill Hil 500/600ft will have had a pasting.

I'll raise my cup of tea to that, cheers :D

Posted

Sleet in Newbury contrary to the almost blizzard like conditions you'd expect to see if you believed Facebook. Another grim weekend if you have kids and enjoy walking. I guess the supermarket wil be busy and the bowling alleys and soft play areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Typical, I have just bought a 4x4 and the snow warnings have disappeared!! Never mind, still time left this winter!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

sleety rain here, just too much on the mild side of this.

2.8c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

3ºc..ssw 4 km/h.. Light Drizzle...Mist on Valley tops....

Posted

Snow laying now north of Winchester, big heavy lolloping flakes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

Snowing here in North Hants for the past hour and settling. Note on some of the animated charts above where the precipitation bumps into the colder air denoting the leading edge of snow with a large swathe to the west where temps are higher.

Currently 1 deg here 47 % humidity.

Elevation 95 metres . Noted just now when I drove down the hill the snow is finer so I must be somewhere on the 2m temp freezing range. In the heavier precipitation we have a bit of evaporative cooling with bigger flakes so bit of a knife edge situation.

Be interesting later (tomorrow) if the present front line transition area moves slightly further west to keep the warmer air at bay coupled with heavier precipitation. Could be a good dumping or a lot of rain. Anybody's guess.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Typical, I have just bought a 4x4 and the snow warnings have disappeared!! Never mind, still time left this winter!!

hopefully an investment in a cold, snow laden future.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

The 00z and 006 NAE really do highlight what a difficult forecast Sunday is. Here are the 00z and 06z charts for Sunday 12-6pm.

00z NAE

13021018_0900.gif

06z NAE

13021018_0906.gif

So many variables to take into account from positioning, angle, ppn intensity and many more. The radar and reports from members is going to be the best bet come tomorrow and into Monday morning. Although it would seem many in the region are a little to far south but you never know.

Edited by chris55

Posted

Very cold rain here in S.Glos. rolleyes.gif

Ah, well, I cherish the memories of last month's lovely snow. cold.gif

Enjoy what you're having all you lucky snowed-upon peeps! good.gif

PS Am feeling brave and am off to the model discussion thread to see if there is any hope for the future!

Edited by noggin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Rain here in Southampton but there are definitely big, fat white flakes in it. biggrin.png

2.2C, DP 0.4C, WB 1.5C.