Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 9th February 2013 17:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

God Im being pulled in 2 directions ,the first one is I'm hoping and praying we get snow cos I love the stuff ,the second is we don't get any (or not enough to cause problems on the roads/flights) as my son will be off to go on his first school trip abroad early hours Monday .Its been a wet dull day here ,we had a little bit of wet snow this morning but now temps are 4c it's all drizzle

Guest bjaykent

Wont the wind chill help the temps, or does that not make any difference?

Not really, it just indicates that the winds will swing round to a south-east then easterly direction and will feel cold as they are coming of a colder continent. It will still be a marginal event but gives us more chance of seeing some snow here in the south-east as Nick F said earlier those colder air will only have a short track to take across the north sea. As for settling snow we will just have to wait and see how heavy the precipitation is going to be as temps don't look spectacularly low. I never see a lot here as I am almost at sea level.

Posted

Just been watching the news.... Hamden in Conneticut in the US = 40 inches of snow on the ground due to the snow storm! Imagine if the UK got anything like that.... It would be like the apocalypse haha!

Posted

PPVM89.gif?31415

wednesday

cold nw wind variable maybe sw later

to me looks a cold day

temperatures max 2-3

the chance of a wintry shower late afternoon

PPVO89.gif?31415

thursday looks cold still with a wintry shower potential

gonna leave this for now as expected to change around again

update tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Hi Tom,

Can I have a punt on whether it will snow in Bromley tomorrow?

What odds would I get lol

Sorry Jan,

Was in transit, fancy asking a Bookmaker born in Bromley, pretty restrictive I would've thought.

1/2 probably and you can have a maximum of 10p on that.

I'll have your 5p winnings waiting for you outside Bromley railway station......... you go to the North, I'll go to the South! rofl.gif

Didnt know the Greyhound wasnt there anymore, mind you still thought Caters was in the Market Square (Showing my age there).

Snowing and settling on the pavements in Croydon on the way home..........alright some white powder outside the Black Sheep Bar and Tiger Tiger but thats normal for a Sat. night!

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by TomSE20

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Dear me guys. 90 mins ago we were all looking forward to a nice snowy spell tomorrow evening and night. Now it's all doom and gloom. How many times have the models chopped and changed over the last 48 or even 12 hours. Come on a bit of patience is needed here. I'm off to to bed now, and will eagerly await the forecasts tomorrow. Over and out. Night all!

Posted

Wont the wind chill help the temps, or does that not make any difference?

No, windchill just refers to what the temperature feels like due to the wind. It won't change the fact that the temperature is above zero and the fact that any snow will struggle to lay / thaw.

If anything, a stronger wind might count against us as evaporative cooling isn't as effective if the wind is up.

The met office must be seeing something we are not though, because I just can't see any disruption away from high ground.

Jason

Posted

Dear me guys. 90 mins ago we were all looking forward to a nice snowy spell tomorrow evening and night. Now it's all doom and gloom. How many times have the models chopped and changed over the last 48 or even 12 hours. Come on a bit of patience is needed here. I'm off to to bed now, and will eagerly await the forecasts tomorrow. Over and out. Night all!

None of the models have downgraded the snow chances four our region and none of the professional forecasters have changed their forecasts for our region. I don't know where the doom and gloom from some people on here has come from!

Posted

There really is nothing to get excited about

Sorry :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms

40 odd minutes until our slushy sunday prevails.......

I think the Chilterns may do well out of this.......

NH

Posted

Sorry Jan,

Was in transit, fancy asking a Bookmaker born in Bromley, pretty restrictive I would've thought.

I'll have your 5p winnings waiting for you outside Bromley railway station......... you go to the North, I'll go to the South! rofl.gif

Didnt know the Greyhound wasnt there anymore, mind you still thought Caters was in the Market Square (Showing my age there).

Snowing and settling on the pavements in Croydon on the way home..........alright some white powder outside the Black Sheep Bar and Tiger Tiger but thats normal for a Sat. night!

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

The Greyhound is still there, I was thinking the wrong way along the street.

You're only 2 years older than me so I remember Bromley from way back!

smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Well good night all, lets see what tomorrow brings. Get your provisions ready for the Radar session,Worry about who gets what tomorrow, A lot can and probably will still change. This time tomorrow will be location, location ,location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Sorry Jan,

Cheers,

Tom

how long ago was that Tom

Haven't seen any snow in addo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms

Well good night all, lets see what tomorrow brings. Get your provisions ready for the Radar session,Worry about who gets what tomorrow, A lot can and probably will still change. This time tomorrow will be location, location ,location.

Touch and go situation. There is always another day. Dont worry be happy, whether rain or snow. It's not over until the fat lady sings. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Goodnight all.

Posted

Touch and go situation. There is always another day. Dont worry be happy, whether rain or snow. It's not over until the fat lady sings. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Goodnight all.

alls well that ends well lol

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Those worried about the seemingly unspectacular surface temp projections from GFS should be rest-assured that the temperature will fall with prolonged rainfall due to evaporative cooling (raindrops evaporating as they fall through a layer of dry air, and cooling it as they absorb the energy needed to change from liquid to vapour) ... this process accelerated if the rain is heavy with the zero degree level dropping quite smartly to allow snow to the surface.

In this marginal situation over the next few days, it does mean that once the precip stops, the temperature will probably rise a couple of degrees or more above freezing to allow a fairly quick thaw by day, as the surface feed isn't exceptionally cold or dry. So not expecting any snow cover to hang around.

Edited by Nick F

Posted

Can someone explain where the idea that the snow chances for our region have downgraded? None of the models have downgraded the risk (they all have consistently shown rain during tomorrow turning to snow during the evening) and none of the professional forecasters have suggested downgrades. Thanks.

Posted

Snowbob,

Cant believe you havnt seen any white powder in Addington!

Btw, what's your altitude there?

Tom.

Posted

Snowbob,

Cant believe you havnt seen any white powder in Addington!

Btw, what's your altitude there?

Tom.

did ans you yesterday mate

Must of got lost lol

138 asl as of my front door

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

A lot higher then me down here lol, I live in the lowest part of croydon where the river wandle and 2 natural lakes used to be.

Posted

A lot higher then me down here lol, I live in the lowest part of croydon where the river wandle and 2 natural lakes used to be.

is that by old town mate

Always surprised when I leave the snow up here and get to work there is nothing lol

Posted

did ans you yesterday mate

Must of got lost lol

138 asl as of my front door

Thanks Snow'bob,

Knew I'd seen it somewhere but couldnt remember where. Croydon's Alpine neighbour eh!

Cheers,

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

is that by old town mate

Always surprised when I leave the snow up here and get to work there is nothing lol

yep. Always like to watch the snow fall but hardly ever lasts here, still not far to travel to find some, always good by addindton and shirly.

Posted

Thanks Snow'bob,

Knew I'd seen it somewhere but couldnt remember where. Croydon's Alpine neighbour eh!

Cheers,

Tom.

normally mate

But to be totally honest this year up here hasn't been much different to croydon town centre where I work

This year just doesn't seem to have got cold at all

Don't know if its just me

But all this crap from the west don't do it for me

Don't expect anything tomorrow

Or mon

Showers from the east

Then you got my attention lol

Just my imby