Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 09/02/13 18z ----->

A.J

Posted

If my weather station is correct, air pressure is 1028mb and its snowing heavily, courtesy of the North sea!!

I've got 1023mb here (relative)

Edited by NickR

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

just been to the bakers, the main road thro' Westmoor is treacherous doesn't look like its been gritted. still snowing here quite big flakes,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 70 degree's in the summer, snow in the winter

Was this forcast at all? looked last night and 'the odd wintry flurry' was mentioned

Posted

Was this forcast at all? looked last night and 'the odd wintry flurry' was mentioned

It was forecast 24 hrs ago, yes... and it's been clear from the models for some time, but not really picked up by the media... and of course not by most posters on NW. ;)

Posted

yip it was expected quite a while ago.

Can you add your location to your profile?

Looking like there is more heavy snow to come for parts of the NE for at least the next hour

most of the day for here.

Posted

Met office weather warning wasn't issued until 21.30 last night,maybe caught them on the hop.

Posted

that's a bit late 21.30. If roads haven't been treated then I think its time to pack up and go home. We all know the difficultiies in predicting the weather but if actiuon isn't taken when warnings are given then whats the point~?

Posted

I don't think these are convective snow showers, the way the PPN on the radar and how organised suggests to me this could be a trough, the North Sea on the cloud images does not look convective at all so we are really fortunate you could say we are getting such persistent and heavy snow.

Really been fun to watch and around here it should at least last another 30 mins plus, looking at the temps at local weather stations, temperatures are probably apporching if not at 1C which makes sence as whilst the snow is falling heavily, there has been way more snow falling than what has been accumulating but because of the intensity, some IS accumulating!

Higher ground in Gateshead I would imagine will be doing even better but I can't complain, totally unexpected how it developed in all honesty.

Posted

I don't think these are convective snow showers, the way the PPN on the radar and how organised suggests to me this could be a trough, the North Sea on the cloud images does not look convective at all so we are really fortunate you could say we are getting such persistent and heavy snow.

Really been fun to watch and around here it should at least last another 30 mins plus, looking at the temps at local weather stations, temperatures are probably apporching if not at 1C which makes sence as whilst the snow is falling heavily, there has been way more snow falling than what has been accumulating but because of the intensity, some IS accumulating!

Higher ground in Gateshead I would imagine will be doing even better but I can't complain, totally unexpected how it developed in all honesty.

It is a trough - the Faxes had a clear trough for here at least 72 hrs out. :)

Posted

The ne once again is being struck lucky, angle of trough attack perfectly aligned. Have to day this is one of those surprise snowfalls when it was always a nowcast event. Hope some of it can leave a surprise dusting over here. Some of the low fells have a dusting.

Posted

Is the Boro Millwall match on TV tomorrow night, just noticed it's an evening kick off? Chances of finding a pub that has it on is a different matter down here.

Assume its snowing in Yarm then also - my hometown - particularly if the showers have got inland as far as Darlo.

Only very light snow on and off here for what its worth.

here you go M S.

http://www.firstrow1.eu/watch/170726/1/watch-middlesbrough-vs-millwall-fc.html

Posted

It is a trough - the Faxes had a clear trough for here at least 72 hrs out. smile.png

I can sort of understand why the potential was not mentioned too much but bit surprised as much as 2 days ago, the weekend forecast was only for "snow flurries", it was not until last night the potential was really being mentioned about.

Still snowing heavily here although there is a slight thaw occuring so I don't think we are gaining an awful lot of snow. I just think how much more this could of delivered if this band hit during the night or if the upper air temps were a touch colder(uppers are around -8 I think).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Big thaw happening here

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

No snow laying here on the coast mostly sleet/rain..

Edit.. snowing now but wont lay far to wet unless it comes down in biblical proportions which I doubt it will.. Pretty miserable out there presently, hope the predictions for March are wrong as a bit warmth would be very welcome..

Posted

No snow laying here on the coast mostly sleet/rain..

Edit.. snowing now but wont lay far to wet unless it comes down in biblical proportions which I doubt it will.. Pretty miserable out there presently, hope the predictions for March are wrong as a bit warmth would be very welcome..

Wow, shows if you are just a bit inland, you get heavy snow and a good covering. Looks like you are on the wrong side of luck this time NL! Been snowing over 2 hours none stop now here.

Posted

biggest flakes of the morning so far at the moment. looks like its going out in style

Posted

Dew points have now dipped below freezing so snow looks likely to fall but in all honesty I'd rather have pleasant temps and sun as this has been a long cold winter with a few snow events. Im off inland today so will see the snow but I was hoping it to be dry and sunny oh well at least it'll be nice and warm in the car..!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Lots of snow on the banks of the wear... got to be at least 2 inches atm. Big final glump to come from the Tyne/Wear area, and possibly further south in Durham.

Nice event in the face of high pressure; can't help but think a N/NE'ly from the Arctic would make this winter a good one!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Thaw taking place here currently but still snowing and we had a good inch covering this morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in the winter. Warmth in the summer

Whats it like newcastle way.I have to travel to North Shields from Consett.