Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 12th February 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Hi

I'm away with work at the minute and not much time to go through posts etc could someone please give me a quick run down on the weather for the midlands next week ?

Thankyou TF

Cold and dry, virtually guaranteed up to monday 25th anyway, cloud amounts the only thing uncertain, temps fairly average sun-wed, colder thursday onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Cold, cloudy and dry from midweek. Bright and milder until then. In other words, boring.

Edited by PolarWarsaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and cold

Thanks any snow forecast the last I saw the ECM was good for it and the GFS was coming onto line x

Edited by TootyFruity

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Thanks any snow forecast the last I saw the ECM was good for it and the GFS was coming onto line x

We need the high pressure forecast to sit to the north of the UK to move further north in future runs to bring any chance of decent snowfall here. There is pretty much cross model agreement amongst the big 3 this evening for a cold, cloudy but dry week with just a few snow flurries. However, with the cold in place there is always the chance of some surprises. However, predominantly dry for the foreseeable smile.png

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

We need the high pressure forecast to sit to the north of the UK to move further north in future runs to bring any chance of decent snowfall here. There is pretty much cross model agreement amongst the big 3 this evening for a cold, cloudy but dry week with just a few snow flurries. However, with the cold in place there is always the chance of some surprises. However, predominantly dry for the foreseeable smile.png

in other words what Radders and I just said!!!!!!!!!!!! well the last bit anyway, all us north midlanders wont see snow

Edited by Gimmesomesnow

Posted

Thanks Supacell fingers crossed we will get a few surprises ... I've missed you where have you been just model watching ?

Well errrr. yes!!! Not been much interest for me really on the weather models as cloudy and dull doesn't really float my boat and i have had other distractions.

Posted

Lol hope I'm one of them Supa !! Night all

wink.png - thats just cheeky! Night TF x - hopefully in the morning the models will be looking better for us all to see a snowy easterly, rather than a boring cloudy one.

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
biggrin.png
Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Supacell, February 17, 2013 - TF should not be bringing personal stuff into the netweather threads
Hidden by Supacell, February 17, 2013 - TF should not be bringing personal stuff into the netweather threads

Not cheeky just honest x

And yes agreed would lilacs bit of snow to see the winter out x

I've PM'd you.

Edited by Supacell
Posted

Lovely day here today. Sunny virtually all day, light winds & mild enough. Pity we'll soon be back in horrible murky cold weather. It really is only a potent Northerly that's going to deliver snow for most of us as we get closer to March. I'd much rather weather like today, than what we face for the next week or so.

Posted

From viewing the models this morning it is not exactly inspiring - here would be my forecast based on this:

Today is starting off fairly cold with a touch of ground frost and some mist and fog patches, indeed there are some quite dense patches of fog outside my window right now. Winds are very light SE'ly and temperatures currently around 0c. After early mist and fog clears it will be a dry day with spells of sunshine amongst variable amounts of cloud. Winds will remain light SE'ly and so temperatures of 8c will feel pleasant enough after the cold we have become accustomed to over recent days and weeks.

Overnight tonight, we see more in the way of cloud filtering in from the east which will help prevent too much of a frost although temperatures falling to lows of 0c where any clearer skies prevail for a period and winds remaining light.

Tomorrow will be another dry day but with more in the way of cloud, and for most it will be a cloudy day. There is likely to be some brighter spells, more likely in southern and western parts of the region. Winds remaining light SE'ly and temperatures a little cooler at 7c.

After another mild day on Tuesday, it is likely to once again turn colder with easterly winds setting in bringing a predominantly dry week but with often large amounts of cloud building during the day and bringing the risk of one or two light showers, which from Wednesday onwards will be of snow. At night it is likely cloud will break and allow increasingly hard frosts to develop, especially in the west of the region with cloud likely to hold on into the night for areas in the east (Lincolnshire mainly). The models are not indicating any chance of significant snowfall though, with our weather controlled by high pressure to our north, and so unlikely at this stage that we will be building any snowmen or using those sledges again in the coming week. It will feel bitter though with temperatures through the second half of the week around 2-3c but with an easterly or northeasterly breeze making it feel colder than this.

Posted

This looks like a boring week of weather coming up.

Unfortunately it does. I suppose there is the chance that with the cold air in place there could be some surprises. Thurs/Fri is a long way off, things could look very different by then.

I'm now looking forward to April and the start of the storm season.

Posted

Thick freezing fog here this morning, i hope the sun break's through later..

Temp -0.6c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Thick freezing fog here this morning, i hope the sun break's through later..

Temp -0.6c

In contrast to that, just 10 miles away, it's sunny and almost cloudless with a temp' of 2.4c. Fog in the valleys though.

Posted

In contrast to that, just 10 miles away, it's sunny and almost cloudless with a temp' of 2.4c. Fog in the valleys though.

Just starting to burn through now here TM, amazing what a little hight difference makes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Just starting to burn through now here TM, amazing what a little hight difference makes.

I'm wondering, PM, if your fog is due to you being on the high ground to the north/ north west of the Derwent valley in the Rowsley area. With the light-moderate S/SE breeze it could be blowing the fog from there to the higher ground.

Certainly here, earlier on, the fog in the valley, which had a general upper limit of about 200m, was quite a bit higher than that on the S/SE facing slopes.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted

A walk through the park earlier made me want spring. A quick glance over the model discussion thread made me want to hang myself, irrespective of the outcome. My god there are some whingers. In fairness I wouldn't mind one last shot at cold and snow - but that's me lot. If it doesn't happen, on a lovely morning like to today who gives a rats toss.

Posted

I'm wondering, PM, if your fog is due to you being on the high ground to the north/ north west of the Derwent valley in the Rowsley area. With the light-moderate S/SE breeze it could be blowing the fog from there to the higher ground.

Certainly here, earlier on, the fog in the valley, which had a general upper limit of about 200m, was quite a bit higher than that on the S/SE facing slopes.

That certainly makes good sense TM, something i have not thought of at all... thanks for the pointer, the fog lifted very fast around 40min ago, now lovely wall to wall sunshine, but still feeling cool in the shade.

Temp 5c S/ wind 6mph

Chilly start with fog now clearing to allow sunny breaks, hardly the cool cloudy weather all week some are saying, i expect lots of sunshine from wednesday for us west midlanders with even clearer skies than today with harsh morning frosts, lovely weather, can't understand the gloom at all, i guess they really want 14C and dark/gloomy weather and damp conditions.