Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 12th February 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Had snow grains on and off. Polystyrene balls on top of the wheelie bin. Not sure about Wash development at the moment, seem to be in a bit of convective gap. But a straight NEly off the Wash can sometimes deliver something to East Northants. Tends to die beyond Wellingborough because the river valley (Nene) changes to be orientated more ENE towards Northampton, rather than straight NE upto Peterborough and the flat lands of the Fens. Usually we get the dying embers.

Anything that falls until Monday afternoon would be snow I think. Didn't get above 0.6C here today. The dewpoint went on the rise from 4pm - normally considered a bad thing, but in this juncture maybes a good thing!

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Pretty much as the rest of the Midlands here, cloudy with light flurries of snow throughout the day. Nothing of any note and certainly no settling.

Tonight it looks as though snow flurries will become more widespread and a little heavier, lasting throughout tomorrow. Indeed, some places in the Midlands (probably more the north and east) could see a covering of snow by the morning and throughout tomorrow. When i say covering, i mean a dusting to 2cm - nothing significant.

Just checking the models for the northerly that has been showing later next week and beyond (after a brief less cold, not mild, spell next week) - the ECM 12z keen on a potent northerly developing with certainly some snowfalls if the charts being shown come off. Infact, it looks like some very wintry weather from the end of next week onwards from this run. GFS 12z not quite so keen now, with what looks like a brief and weaker northerly before it turns milder - although just last night the GFS was showing a bitter northerly similar to todays ECM. So, we have the familiar ECM vs GFS scenario and I personally would not want to side with any at this stage.... a few more days for this to be sorted out I feel.

Posted

Pretty much as the rest of the Midlands here, cloudy with light flurries of snow throughout the day. Nothing of any note and certainly no settling.

Tonight it looks as though snow flurries will become more widespread and a little heavier, lasting throughout tomorrow. Indeed, some places in the Midlands (probably more the north and east) could see a covering of snow by the morning and throughout tomorrow. When i say covering, i mean a dusting to 2cm - nothing significant.

Just checking the models for the northerly that has been showing later next week and beyond (after a brief less cold, not mild, spell next week) - the ECM 12z keen on a potent northerly developing with certainly some snowfalls if the charts being shown come off. Infact, it looks like some very wintry weather from the end of next week onwards from this run. GFS 12z not quite so keen now, with what looks like a brief and weaker northerly before it turns milder - although just last night the GFS was showing a bitter northerly similar to todays ECM. So, we have the familiar ECM vs GFS scenario and I personally would not want to side with any at this stage.... a few more days for this to be sorted out I feel.

2cm in this part of the world is an epic fall :-D

Posted

All sounds good but a straight northerly is no good for us. Get a westerly element to it though and suddenly it's a lot more interesting. The alternative is get a trough or two into the northerly flow.

As for now...same as really. Small flakes still flying around.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

All sounds good but a straight northerly is no good for us. Get a westerly element to it though and suddenly it's a lot more interesting. The alternative is get a trough or two into the northerly flow.

Westerly element will just be rain at 100m asl in march, needs to be a straight northerly with troughs/polar low

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and cold

Evening all

Any news on the northerly that's been hinted at for next week would it bring a nationwide event or just hit certain places if it was to come off ...

TF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Evening all

Any news on the northerly that's been hinted at for next week would it bring a nationwide event or just hit certain places if it was to come off ...

TF

Stockport mainly, could you pop location in profile? I think you are in Ashbourne, but others may not know

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Evening all

TF

My post above (post number #652) pretty much sums it up so far. GFS 18z, much like the 12z, not interested though giving us average temperatures with lots of dry weather. ECM 12z is a corker though! :)

Posted

A bit 'heavier' here, but very light snow. Remember that the Midlands thread covers a large area! A strong NWly can mean even here we get the showers that dodge the southern Peak District and sneak through, albeit weakened. But generally its far less of interest for this part of the Midlands. A strong NNE flow has worked for here in the past, prefer a NEly. But that is no good for anyone west of here really.

Posted

Just a vague hint that as the light stuff to the SE moves westwards it is not beyond possibility that we start to see something developing from the Wash. Although there is nothing much to speak of on the radar, here we have proper light flakes now (still very light!) - but not snow grains that have been off and on all day.

Posted

Thats what ive been looking at!!any idea of what time it will arrive?6am maybe!!

Probably won't become obvious until it comes closer to the coast on the radar. There are some tentative signs already around the Wash, but 6am looks like a reasonable guess! South Lincolnshire looks like the favoured spot if I were to go out on a limb.

Posted

Probably won't become obvious until it comes closer to the coast on the radar. There are some tentative signs already around the Wash, but 6am looks like a reasonable guess! South Lincolnshire looks like the favoured spot if I were to go out on a limb.

And then spreading into the heart of leicester ðŸ˜!!then waking up to a covering in the morning!!i wish 😒!!

Posted

Probably won't become obvious until it comes closer to the coast on the radar. There are some tentative signs already around the Wash, but 6am looks like a reasonable guess! South Lincolnshire looks like the favoured spot if I were to go out on a limb. But that is for another thread!!!

Again it asks questions about these regional threads because I think 'Midlands' is too broad. Lincs is lumped in with Yorks, yet it is part of the East Midlands. To me that doesn't make much sense. MetO use the well defined regional boundaries (the ones you vote for in Euro elections amongst other things!), some of which are adhered to here, some are not. .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

hi guys. Few snow flakes yesterday, nothing to sing about. So any chance of seeing anything today here in brum?

Posted

Typical mega-exciting 'fluffy pink bunny' - dull, grey, cold by day, frost free at night, and just observed a handful of very very very small snow flakes/grains .....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Same as yesterday here, grey and cold and a few grains of snow blowing around.

Posted

Shock horror, day 4 of nothingness!

No sun, no frost, no snow, really is the worst kind of weather possible.

Posted

Snowing properly here now for the first time this cold spell...not just the odd flake floating around like before. Still light though.

Edit: Lasted about a minute. Back to how it was now.

As you were.

Edited by Gord