Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 18/02/13 20z --->

AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Another glorious sunny morning in Bristol and looking at current model output there could be plenty more days like this after the next 5 or 6 cold grey ones.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Looks like it's going to be rather chilly towards the end of the week, luckily it's been too soggy to clear the gravel paths and drive from weeds so I can legitimately break out the daddy of weed burners, get the paths clear and keep warm too smile.png Any keen gardeners or professionals out there...I can heartily recommend this http://www.harrodhor...ml#product-tabs

I hardly did a thing in the garden last year because it was so wet, so I might buy one of those and just set fire to the whole garden biggrin.png I have been out in the garden this week tidying up and trying to make it look a bit more respectable so hopefully the dry weather will last.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Fairly sharp frost last night with emperature slow to recover now at -0.5c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

I knew meterological winter ends on 28th Feb, which makes it neat and tidy for records and statistics, But spring Equinox not till 20th March,,,,So nature will start waking up and slowly getting into gear, Sap starting to rise folks,,,,,,,,,,good.gif

Edited by cerneman

Posted

A few nice frosts on the way to end this poor winter (in terms of cold). NW LRF regarding HLB and below average temperatures was way off the mark. I am hoping for a mild LRF this November so the oppostie happens!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Lovely and sunny here with a little bit of high cloud. Pleasant too as the wind is very light. :D

Posted

well a chilly day today with temperature struggling 2.8c and ground frost still on ground

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

This can be taken to the recycle bank .. mega_shok.gif

post-15177-0-08018700-1361278324_thumb.p

Currently 7.9°C

Looking at the models, it's not looking that dull (widespread) as first thought.

The cold front moves in from the north east tonight/tomorrow and by tomorrow afternoon it's looking like the sun will be shining again for a number of folks ..

post-15177-0-21470300-1361278785_thumb.g

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Pushing 3.6c now and ground frost holding in shade hi.gif Make that 3.8c it's not going to last much longer.

Edited by mullender83

Posted

Lots of frog spawn in pond,,,,,,,Looked around garden and need to get cracking, Even grass really needs first cut of season,

One good thing when there is snow cover, My garden looks as good as my neighbours, Looks like going to have to start Spring clear up, Was hoping would have had little late snow,to have given me excuse to delay , but no such luck,

Edited by cerneman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

This is crazy ... temp gauge reading 23.0c in the sunshine!!! Please tell me if anyone can concur or else tell me to get a new temp gauge ;)

Posted

This is crazy ... temp gauge reading 23.0c in the sunshine!!! Please tell me if anyone can concur or else tell me to get a new temp gauge tease.gif

Unfortunately, cheaper stations and instruments suffer from that.

Before i could afford something a bit more upmarket, i used to situate my temp gauge on a north facing wall, around 1.5m high.

The wall i had it on couldn't receive any sunlight behind it either so it couldn't heat up and radiate any heat towards the sensor and effect readings. smile.png

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Just popped out to BnQ, what a fantastic day. A bit on the nippy side but otherwise great. The sort of day I like a day out walking rather than stuck in the office.

F

Posted

Before i could afford something a bit more upmarket, i used to situate my temp gauge on a north facing wall, around 1.5m high.

The wall i had it on couldn't receive any sunlight behind it either so it couldn't heat up and radiate any heat towards the sensor and effect readings. smile.png

You've just helped me realise my sensor position at my new house is wrong!

I wondered why I had a max reading of 9.9c when I got in at midday because at midday it was 7.2c and I realise it's because, although the sensor receives no direct sunlight - something I was very careful to ensure - the fence it's attached to must radiate heat through from the other side!

Going to have to think about this as we now have a South facing garden whereas the old house was North facing which made positioning considerably easier! I know it must be accurate outside of maybe some of the time between 10.00-midday but need to do something to recify this anomaly!

Could I attach something to the opposite side of the fence to prevent radiation through to the sensor? Would a piece of white material help? I'd like to know anybody's suggestions please.

What a stunning day again though, and we should get a rapid drop in temperature from 17.00 this evening.

Posted

Have same issues with my temp gauge,Shoots up in morning sun, Now shaded from sun showing 8.6c, Not far from your readings,,,,I daily check your weather station, not too far from my location, so gives me rough idea of temps,,,,,,,,,,,

Posted

You've just helped me realise my sensor position at my new house is wrong!

I wondered why I had a max reading of 9.9c when I got in at midday because at midday it was 7.2c and I realise it's because, although the sensor receives no direct sunlight - something I was very careful to ensure - the fence it's attached to must radiate heat through from the other side!

Going to have to think about this as we now have a South facing garden whereas the old house was North facing which made positioning considerably easier! I know it must be accurate outside of maybe some of the time between 10.00-midday but need to do something to recify this anomaly!

Could I attach something to the opposite side of the fence to prevent radiation through to the sensor? Would a piece of white material help? I'd like to know anybody's suggestions please.

What a stunning day again though, and we should get a rapid drop in temperature from 17.00 this evening.

You can buy aspirated/unaspirated shields for temp gauges, the latter one is obviously cheaper.

Perhaps look in to making your own if you had the time?

I saw this from a few years ago .. http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1410&hilit=FAR

I would suggest experimenting, try some white material etc .. look up other readings near you to get an idea.

Personally, i find that if readings are within .5 of a degree from something more accurate, then it's doing a good job. :)

Posted

You can buy aspirated/unaspirated shields for temp gauges, the latter one is obviously cheaper.

Perhaps look in to making your own if you had the time?

I saw this from a few years ago .. http://sandaysoft.co...=1410&hilit=FAR

I would suggest experimenting, try some white material etc .. look up other readings near you to get an idea.

Personally, i find that if readings are within .5 of a degree from something more accurate, then it's doing a good job. smile.png

Thank you Mapantz, I'll give something a try.

I always compare to Lyneham, Larkhill, Yeovilton and Boscombe Down but having had it jump to 9.9c then return to 7.2c while

still totally sunny shows something is awry.

Posted

Yes its best to place sensor in sun free area 1.5m - 2m above ground or you can get silly readings.

Mine has radiation shield but it still suffers a little from direct sun mid summer when it catches it.

very tempted to get a davis pro this year sometime... air_kiss.gif

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

Thank you Mapantz! From now on I will take the readings from that gauge with a pinch of salt. Will save up for a good one.