Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 19th February >

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

How come the bbc weather showing temperatures of 6-7C in Scotland and showing snow in the southern Scotland? They mentioned cold air mass but its only confined to southern Scotland. Strange weather indeed.

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

After a crappy wet misty morning in these parts it's turned into a decent afternoon.

Hopefully it will stay fine for long enough to do a bit of work in the garden.

As for snow overnight, the forecast shows the possibility but TBH, I'd be more surprised to wake up to white than green in the morning.

I just think that conditions will be the wrong side of marginal for anywhere other than the highest parts of the region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

6C here, that is not cold, temps are always higher than forecast here, anyone thinking of snow around here needs to think again. I'm more interested in the possibility of hail and thunder. More exciting to me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Heavy PPN just about to hit the south of the region,the same PPN that gave mid wales a covering of snow

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Heavy PPN just about to hit the south of the region,the same PPN that gave mid wales a covering of snow

C.S

Now crossing Greater Manchester looking at the radar but if our temperatures are anything to go by then they will be rain or sleet at best.

Currently 3.7c here so can't see much coming from this event unless evaporative cooling gets going.

Posted

Dont think you will have a problem Ian,snow flakes starting to mix in with the rain here

C.S

Posted

Dont think you will have a problem Ian,snow flakes starting to mix in with the rain here

C.S

Just getting the first bits of something in the air but it feels and looks like rain.

As you said, maybe the snow will start to mix in later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

4 degrees here

Posted

3.3c here and definitely rain falling from the sky.

Maybe more like snow higher up the hill as was the case on Thursday evening but only rain here at the moment.

Posted

Just done a spot of nowcasting from the Velux bathroom window and there are signs of sleet within the heavier stuff now falling.

Posted

Why couldn't we have next week's weather during Jan/Feb - we could have done really well from it. Now even if we did get some wet slushy stuff, I just can't be bothered. First time for 4/5 months that I'm looking at the model thread and hoping a sign of mild/warmer weather is on the way lol .... but it certainly isn't going to be next week that's for sure. Scotland could be forgiven for thinking it was still Jan/Feb.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

Just done a spot of nowcasting from the Velux bathroom window and there are signs of sleet within the heavier stuff now falling.

snow been reported in the midlands at 285m

C.S

Posted

Why couldn't we have next week's weather during Jan/Feb - we could have done really well from it. Now even if we did get some wet slushy stuff, I just can't be bothered. First time for 4/5 months that I'm looking at the model thread and hoping a sign of mild/warmer weather is on the way lol .... but it certainly isn't going to be next week that's for sure. Scotland could be forgiven for thinking it was still Jan/Feb.

Same here but it's a bit ironic that when we want sun and warmth, all we can see as far as the horizon is cold and wet with a chance of snow but once we get into March snow just doesn't do it for me.

Posted

snow been reported in the midlands at 285m

C.S

It's gradually turning more towards snow here but still not settling.

Temperature has fallen rapidly in the last 30 minutes or so and is now at 2.6c so if the showers keep coming then a covering is possible.

Do I want it though, mmmmmmmmm I'd sooner have warmth and sun but if only cold is on the menu then it might as well be white.

Posted

quite a few snow reports coming in from the Midlands

C.S

turning more to sleet now,would say about 70% rain 30% snow

C.S

Edited by cheshire snow

Posted

A bit of snow on the car but it's stopped again now.

Temperatures are still heading the right way though and now stands at 1.6c.

I've just watched the BBC forecast which shows shower activity for the NW region right through until daylight tomorrow with snow not really showing until the early hours so maybe I'm being a little hasty in running down our chances after all.

Posted

Looking at the radar, most of the activity is to the west and SW of here with a dry gap developing to my south and then some echoes to my SE.

Whether this is the case in other areas I don't know but it's certainly looking true outside here.

Posted

Warning issued for parts of the region.

http://www.metoffice...0&regionName=nw

Just took a look outside and the rain has turned much more sleety with the odd wet flake falling amidst the sleety rain.

Edited by Brass_Monkeys

Posted

Warning issued for parts of the region.

http://www.metoffice...0&regionName=nw

Just seen that,only issued 25 mins ago

still sleety here

C.S

Posted

Just seen that,only issued 25 mins ago

still sleety here

C.S

Definite flakes mixed in with the sleet here. Evaporative cooling beginning to take effect coupled with an intensification of the ppn.

If it does turn to wet snow the ground is so wet it would take a lot to get a covering.