Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 19th February >

Liam J

Posted

Current temperature 6.7C, with a maximum at 1pm 7.1C. Dew point -3.1C. Out of the wind and in direct sunshine, it doesn't really feel all that cold. Outside of the sun, certainly feels pretty chilly. I thought maybe we had lucked in yesterday. Within 2 minutes, there was snow blowing around all over roads and pavements. It came down in very strong winds, blizzard like. 2 Minutes and we had a coating. I can't say that's something I am used to because I am not. Normally it takes a long while for the snow to stick, and it's usually of the wetter type.

With sub zero surface temperatures, and dew point impressively low. and the amount of powder snow that fell in a very short period I was genuinely shocked, even more shocked at the speed of which the snow melted given the conditions. Can't say coldest day of winter yesterday, because the temperature did stay above freezing most of the time, we had days during January I believe, where we had around 3 of 4 continuous days (day and night) below freezing. This Easterly has been a lot more potent though than the last out break. Overnight temperatures are the lowest they've been over the entire winter period. 3 nights at -5/-6C is pretty impressive, considering the last 3 or 4 years have seen pretty warm temperatures, probably more than 3 /4 years.

I think Joe Bstardi may have been right with his assertion, probably the reason he was fired..we have entered a general cooling down period, but the last 4 or 5 winters have been not so bad..who cares as long as the winters get better with more snow, and we continue to see scandinavian winters smile.png

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Much better feeling day today, less wind and warming sun has provided much more effect than yesterday between the showers.

It was a bitterly cold easterly but apart from a few brief showers that didn't settle or cause disruption I would still consider this an easterly which failed to deliver proper 'snowy' conditions. Maybe it was because the time of the year but the pennines still take a lot of ooomph out of the showers. Look at parts of Northumberland for instance. Their Easterly is our Cold North-Westerly aka Dec 2010. Maybe I've become a little spoilt but we got a near foot of snow from a cold to mild transition on that Friday night in January. That will always win ahead of an easterly for me. Holy Grail is a Dec 2010 North Westerly with existing cold source in place. Nice to see the Channel Island get some rare decent snowfall but another absolute disgrace that people are having to sleep in their cars overnight because of our shocking transport links and ability to clear and grit the major routes. I heard 150 german students on exchange were forced to be put up at temporary accomodation. Our reputation in Europe is laughable at the inadequacies we show for dealing with a couple of inches of snowfall and the chaos that results.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

Recorded the lowest temp of the winter/spring last night with temp getting down to -4.9c. Today temp reached the dizzy heights of 6.1c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

3.6C right now. No chance of seeing a comet, no chance of a frost. Overcast as usual, lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

clouds are breaking alittle here.

I think if there is a major snow event on its way next time I would suggest a ban on people driving cars if they are they have to pay a fine around £50. They do this in America. Thats one thing how you stop gridlock on moterways which is the case in the south-east.

I think the weather will warm up a little and by the weekend it will probably will be cooler into early next week.

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Mean while the ECM is determined not to let spring in,would go as far to say it is almost a stella run if you want more cold

and snow

C.S

Mean while the ECM is determined not to let spring in,would go as far to say it is almost a stella run if you want more cold

and snow

C.S

Looking increasingly likely that the whole of March will stay unseasonably cold. Might as well add March to December, January & February to the winter of 2012/13!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Ive just read on bbc news that the snow in the south is heading north, yet ive just looked on raintoday and theres only orange stuff up in scotland lol, nothing anywhere else.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Looking increasingly likely that the whole of March will stay unseasonably cold. Might as well add March to December, January & February to the winter of 2012/13!!!

Yes, certainly nothing warm on the horizon and if some of the better runs of the last 2 days verify, we could be looking at one of the coldest Marches on record.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Its frost-free here for the result of cloudy weather last night. The clouds here are clearing up now. Looks like its gonna be a fine day. Abit warmer than yesterday.

Edited by pip22

Posted

Its colder than yesterday here and we had blue skies and sunshine this morning but its becoming rather cloudy now and still cold.

Posted

Temp 3c here and sunny i wonder if we will get any snow showers today??

Posted

Temperature holding at 6.4C. During the weekend and next week, temperatures are unlikely to be any different than today, averaging 6/7C particularly the further west. Then after next week, temperatures recover upto 12/16C. Overnight temperatures, again more to the west, will remain above freezing 3/4C. A couple chances of snow, but with dew points climbing again, it looks to be more like rain away from the pennines and the East and of course higher ground. Rain showers to lower levels in the North West. Pretty mundane boring forecast. stroll on spring, tired now of these feeble attempts at snow, while everyone else is actually getting snow :p

Posted

Yes, certainly nothing warm on the horizon and if some of the better runs of the last 2 days verify, we could be looking at one of the coldest Marches on record.

try after next week, when temperatures will recover back to 12/16C depending on location, looking at longer range, it seems likely this will continue to be the case, unless something happens. One has to be careful about talking about cold and mild. On higher elevation is obviously going to be colder / cold, while at lower elevations and closer to the mild / warm irish sea it can be mild. Liverpool and Manchester for example...liverpool can be mild and wet, while manchester can be cold /wet/dry etc. and it can at times be noticeable, like it has been over the past week where manchester as been a lot colder.

Accu has 12/16C Liverpool by 22 march onwards, though much colder inland. I wouldn't know about region wide.

Temp 3c here and sunny i wonder if we will get any snow showers today??

very probable, since your pennine way.

Its colder than yesterday here and we had blue skies and sunshine this morning but its becoming rather cloudy now and still cold.

you are very lucky to have low temperatures, down in the south here, it's 6.4C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

try after next week, when temperatures will recover back to 12/16C

you seem to be basing that on GFS FI, which, last night was showing an FI freeze !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

i cant believe the convection going on in the Irish sea and were not gonna get it

Posted

Blimey thats a suprise its just started snowing here!

Posted

streamer setting up but it will slam into rhyl area

Posted

Streamer? It be just the same that we saw on Monday, it will prob not amounting so much. The sun is too strong to settle.

Edited by pip22

Posted

Well we did have snow earlier but i think we had a slight sleet shower after that,i dont get it though 6 degrees snow 5 degeees sleet!

Posted

anyone inbetween st helens and liverpool verify whats happening. SOme heavy clouds and it looks like something is either falling from the sky or being pulled up.!!