Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion 18Z 19/2/13 onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Not much to say at the moment GFS is out to t120 and its as you were for the UK with high pressure dominating

gfs-0-120.png?12

gfs-1-120.png?12

UKMO is at t96

UW96-21.GIF?21-17

Uppers at t72

UW72-7.GIF?21-16

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

Well why don't you help the moral of the forum and put together a big constructive post then since your the ones with all the time ?!! ;-p

Thanks for replying mr icyyy blaaast!!in due time i shall!!let things get a bit more interesting ;)!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Thanks for replying mr icyyy blaaast!!in due time i shall!!let things get a bit more interesting ;)!!!

In the mean time .

No warmth in sight

post-9095-0-16552600-1361463222_thumb.jppost-9095-0-71443800-1361463234_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Primed and ready Northerly?

gfs-0-192.png?12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Blooming heck guys

post-9095-0-40633800-1361464481_thumb.jp

post-9095-0-01867600-1361464498_thumb.jp

We can see the high pressure is in a much more favourable position with good ridging toward Greenland, and moving ever close aswell.

Good upgrade this evening

Posted

BLIMEY

post-115-0-83274600-1361464522_thumb.png

Shame it is a million miles away in a far far away galaxy in time lol, Oh and the GFS and low res.

Edited by No balls like Snow Balls

Posted

Afternoon all :)

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn2401.png

More encouragement, it would seem, for fans of cold. The Greenland High continues to block down into the Atlantic and thus opens the door to the north. Certainly nothing terribly spring-like in thie Op output thus far and you'd have to say a succession of GFS output has backed away from the west-based negative NAO scenario as well but we'll see where future output takes us.

Posted

post-9095-0-88304600-1361464690_thumb.jp

Atlantic well and truly blocked off, the only low pressure is coming from the arctic

post-9095-0-54574900-1361464702_thumb.jp

And just for fun but really highlights the potential hear

post-9095-0-37535800-1361464711_thumb.jp

Posted

From what I've seen over the past few days ANYTHING could happen past +120hrs...

GFS 12z is again teasing us again with its perfect Greenland block. One thing we can be more confident on, nothing average is appearing on the models at this juncture.

SM

Posted

GFS 12z pulling out all the stops this evening with snow down into North Africa!

We can see we really pull a piece of the vortex down the country hear. Interesting times

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Absolutely stunning charts. So stunning in fact that words fail me. Pity it's not going to come-off though...rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

post-9095-0-88304600-1361464690_thumb.jp

Atlantic well and truly blocked off, the only low pressure is coming from the arctic

post-9095-0-54574900-1361464702_thumb.jp

And just for fun but really highlights the potential hear

post-9095-0-37535800-1361464711_thumb.jp

ill worry about those charts when they show within a reliable timeframe! atm the chances of something that severe happening are rare. after all it was only a couple of days ago that f.i. was showing something totally opposite.

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

This time the charts and my opinions combine so be ready Be Cause ...

Absolutely stunning charts. So stunning in fact that words fail me. Pity it's not going to come-off though...rofl.gif

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!

Well well well, another GFS run, and another big fat NO to spring!!! good.gif

Edited by SE Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

The possible Atlantic phasing we were looking at yesterday has all but disappeared from the output today, we look to be trending towards a more dominant Greenland ridge/Scandi trough with the pattern edging east all the time. Certainly has potential.

Rtavn2041.png

This is probably my favourite chart from the 12z, heavy snow pushing down from the north west on a stalling and snowbearing trough!!

Rtavn2762.png

Edited by chris55

Posted

ill worry about those charts when they show within a reliable timeframe! atm the chances of something that severe happening are rare. after all it was only a couple of days ago that f.i. was showing something totally opposite.

Bah humbug blum.gif . Seriously though it must be quite a rare occurrence to see charts like this so late in the season

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

The trend continues to send some ridging into the Canadian Maritimes in the HR part of the GFS along with a developing trough to our north showing signs of digging down towards the UK.

Whether we end up with a solution like the later frames of the 12z remains to be seen but the mean hts from the earlier runs do show a cold looking NW jet around day 10.

The Scandi.high is only easing west slowly and will be around the UK for much of next week by the looks of it so any interest on an Arctic spell is very much around the start of the new month.

UW120-21.GIF?21-17

Meantime we have this a bitterly cold easterly for a few days and the surface will still be chilly next week with frosts around as the high builds over the UK.

Posted

Well well well, another GFS run, and another big fat NO to spring!!! good.gif

how do you make that out? the end of the run has the atlantic and mild springlike weather yet again predicted. talk about selective chart picking!

http://www.wetterzen...n/fsavneur.html

besides, spring isnt a weather type, its a season that starts on march 1st! :p

Bah humbug blum.gif . Seriously though it must be quite a rare occurrence to see charts like this so late in the season

not really, my first few weeks of work are often met with nighttime frosts and snow showers. i dont expect the current gfs in fi to varify, but a toned down version might.

besides, i remember the dreaded spring of 75, where a northerly took hold in the first week of march and stayed 3 months. the spring wasnt very snowy, just cold and quite sunny.

Edited by mushymanrob

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

March to come in like a Lion this year? Well it certainly has potential atm looking at the charts. Winter could spring a trap for the start of spring lol.

post-6445-0-66973300-1361467684_thumb.pn

Posted

the gfs anomaly charts do not agree with the op run, although the ecm does trend towards it. until these charts agree there must be considerable doubt over this fi northerly.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!

how do you make that out? the end of the run has the atlantic and mild springlike weather yet again predicted. talk about selective chart picking!

http://www.wetterzen...n/fsavneur.html

besides, spring isnt a weather type, its a season that starts on march 1st! blum.gif

Maybe there is milder temps at the end of the run, but that's deep into FI so good luck with that!

And by the looks of things it seems spring won't be starting on march 1st this year, or should i say it wont be feeling much like spring anyway! tongue.png But if u can find me a chart for march 1st that has a warm spring look about it then i will stand corrected!

Edited by SE Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Maybe there is milder temps at the end of the run, but that's deep into FI so good luck with that!

And by the looks of things it seems spring won't be starting on march 1st this year, or should i say it wont be feeling much like spring anyway! tongue.png

I've always thought 1st day of spring was March 21st :)