Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 9th March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Please use this thread for your regional discussions about the current weather or what is being forecast for the next few days in the South East and East Anglia...

Link to the previous one….

http://forum.netweat...3/page__st__820

Yellow Warning of Snow for London & South East England :

Milton Keynes

Yellow Warning of Snow for East of England :

Cambridgeshire, Peterborough, Bedford, Central Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire

Rain is expected to turn to snow on Saturday, more particularly on high ground but with an increasing risk at lower levels. 5 cm or so could accumulate above 200 m in the Pennines, whilst ice forming on power lines in strong winds poses a threat of local power cuts. Ice on roads and pavements will also be a risk, especially in the north of the region. At low levels the main risk of snow is later in the day, and a lot of falling snow will melt on the ground, though some accumulations of a few cm here could not be ruled out.

Valid from:

0300 on Sat 9 Mar 2013

Valid to:

2100 on Sat 9 Mar 2013

Cold air coming south and cutting underneath a frontal zone will bring the risk of snow and ice. Temperatures will be marginal for snow at low levels, and the ground has been warmed by the recent mild spell, though any sustained intensity could allow accumulations even to low levels. Winds on high ground could gust to more than 50 MPH increasing the risk of damage where rain freezes on power lines, especially over the north Pennines.

http://www.metoffice...Time=1362787200

http://www.metoffice...Time=1362787200

Yellow Alert of Snow for London & South East England :

Kent, Surrey, Hampshire, West Sussex, East Sussex, Southampton, Isle of Wight, Portsmouth & Brighton and Hove

A spell of sleet and snow is expected, starting on Sunday evening in SW England, and affecting southern England more widely on Sunday night and Monday morning. Snow will be accompanied by a strong easterly wind which will accentuate the very cold feel. Accumulations of 3 - 5 cm could occur quite widely over southern counties, and the public are advised to be aware of this wintry hazard.

Valid from:

2000 on Sun 10 Mar 2013

Valid to:

2100 on Mon 11 Mar 2013

A low pressure system moving up from the Atlantic will come up against the influx of cold air from the north, bringing persistent sleet and snow. At the same time winds will increase, with gusts to 50 MPH on coasts and hills. At this stage there is uncertainty about how far north precipitation will push, and also the extent to which snow will settle on the recently warmed ground and this warning is likely to be updated.

http://www.metoffice...Time=1362873600

Posted

Right...it has been lovely as always but I am off to bed - have a feeling I need to store up some sleep before the next few days/nights of radar watching lazy.gif

Posted

I know what you mean JP, been watching its ' progress ' for several hours now. In the meantime it just keeps on raining here

would not mind a shower moving that slow if it was above us and was snowing

wishful thinking

the rate the front is moving it will be cold enough to snow before it gets here rofl.gif

these are just for a giggle but nice to look at

13031018_2_0818.gif

13031100_2_0818.gif

13031112_2_0818.gif

would be nice

ensembles

MT8_London_ens.png

very cold to the 15th then uncertainty

it is the 18z however so anythings possible

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Must admit looking a bit iffy for Cheltenham racing next week, although any snow threat could recede away south, come the first race on Tuesday. Big blow to our industry, if we lost a day or twos racing, in what is our busiest week of the year along with Royal Ascot!

Tom.

Edited by TomSE20

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Must admit looking a bit iffy for Cheltenham racing next week, although any snow threat could recede away south, come the first race on Tuesday. Big blow to our industry, if we lost a day or twos racing, in what is our busiest week of the year along with Royal Ascot!

Tom.

will they not postpone it Tom

Sorry if that's a stupid question

Maybe a couple of weeks later and conditions will be better mate

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Tom Quintavalle, March 9, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Tom Quintavalle, March 9, 2013 - No reason given

Looking a bit iffy for Cheltenham racing next week, although snow threat could recede away south on Tuesday, just before the first race. If we lost one or twos' day racing, would be a big blow to the industry, in what is our busiest week of the year, along with

Royal Ascot! help.gif

Tom.

Posted

will they not postpone it Tom

Sorry if that's a stupid question

Maybe a couple of weeks later and conditions will be better mate

They might try and run the big championship races, Champion Hurdle (Tues), Queen Mother Chase (Weds), at the end of racing say Thurs, Fri.

Or as they did the other year, tag the races on to the cards say on Weds, Thurs, Fri, if they just lost Tues.

Dont know if you remember, gale force winds blew down the marquees and temporary stands, causing the abandonment of racing for 1 day.

Tom.

Posted

^^ Not in uxbridge I suspect !

Latest output suggests ppn moving well north into London and other home counties.

Uxbridge should do fine if verifying

They might try and run the big championship races, Champion Hurdle (Tues), Queen Mother Chase (Weds), at the end of racing say Thurs, Fri.

Or as they did the other year, tag the races on to the cards say on Weds, Thurs, Fri, if they just lost Tues.

Dont know if you remember, gale force winds blew down the marquees and temporary stands, causing the abandonment of racing for 1 day.

Tom.

I remember the gold cup being delayed for 90 minutes of so due to snow when I was just a wee lad. The Thinker came steaming up the hill to win. Hot favourite (Forgive and Forget, I think!) down the field

Posted

Tom.

frozen horse

now where have i heard that before

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Any ideas Whos in the sweet spots,could it be me at last

Posted

We knew the Daily Express would come out with the Mother Of All Beasts From The East laugh.pnghelp.gif

post-2721-0-48261000-1362791634_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

cough

, cough,cough.being almost in exact alignment with m4 corridoor, and the northern most extent(as it currently) stands,i would suggest that location (uxbridge) where myself resides,is on course,perhaps as myself susspects, there is more than optimism for snowfall.how much imo is the only thing open to question.further the stage is setting for an encrouch on northern extent. Followed by the off slide LPS, drawing,and encouragment of convection (snow form) drawing westward,to that and/or simular locations...regards.

Posted

England braces for late-winter storm

http://news.yahoo.co...-074948168.html

sorry could not help it rofl.gif

RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFALL SET AT BOSTON MA......A RECORD SNOWFALL OF 10.2 INCH(ES) WAS SET AT BOSTON MA TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 8 SET IN 1941

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Tom.

remember the abandonment well

very well publicised

Anyone would of thought it was the storm of 86 lol

Jokes a side I know it's a very serious business and next weeks weather will certainly hamper your industry mate

Even a few hour postponement = a hell of a lot of money

Edited by snowbob

Posted

Latest output suggests ppn moving well north into London and other home counties.

Uxbridge should do fine if verifying

I remember the gold cup being delayed for 90 minutes of so due to snow when I was just a wee lad. The Thinker came steaming up the hill to win. Hot favourite (Forgive and Forget, I think!) down the field

Yes, I remember that but wasnt working in the industry then. Back in 89/ early 90s worked at the racecourse now and again and was at Cheltenham for Desert Orchids Gold Cup. We (colleagues) stayed down in the Cotswolds for the week, Gold Cup morning we had 3"/4" of snow outside our hotel but the other side of Cleeve Hill the snow hadnt settled down at Cheltenham but I have never felt so cold on a racecourse as that day, we had driving sleet for most of the afternoon. Fortunately I spent most of the afternoon working in the hospitality boxes and got to see David Elsworth bring the Gold Cup into the box I was working in.

Tom.

Edited by TomSE20

Posted

frozen horse

now where have i heard that before

Yes, I know, what would you like on that Sir, relish, no a £5 each way!

Tom.

Posted

Yes, I know, what would you like on that Sir, relish, no a £5 each way!

Tom.

thats the one

same as the guy who went to the doctor and was told to watch what he was eating

so he booked tickets to cheltenham rofl.gif

Posted

thats the one

same as the guy who went to the doctor and was told to watch what he was eating

so he booked tickets to cheltenham rofl.gif

Not heard that one, excellent!

Tom.