Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 9th March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Judging by the BBC forecasts that seems bullish in terms of showers so it could be that the instability, very cold uppers and strong flow override any high cloud moderation.

I think the Thames could play a big role because that could be like a micro situation within the overall set up if that makes any sense!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

@SK, Dew point -0.2 now but radar looks quiet. Typical meh.

Posted

Hmmm I think there is a worst case here tohugh Nick, there won't be nearly as many showerrs to the north of the THames, simply due to obvious factors (perfect wind alingment, etc) so we don't want the front to just reach the coast and as you say knock out the possible impressive convection that is possible from any streamer action but its not close enough to bring the precip core ashore.

Really anything can happen, all I'll say is don't under-estimate the chances of a streamer, if even some of the lower resolution models are showing something, that is sayimng something...

MetO boff's are going for streamers from 17:00 hrs today

Posted

It will be another 4-6 hours before we can start 'feeling' for the convection.... time to chill & enjoy the slow drop in temps & Dewpoints-

Currently the proper cold is just north of the wash that ties in with the convection

http://www.meteociel...nt-de-rosee.php

S

Love putting that on the animation, you can see that cold air filtering south, just recently the real cold stuff coming into the east coast. As you say come late afternoon/early evening things will become interesting. I think regardless of frontal position, we'll have at least a 6hrs window of really superb conditions, easily enough time to get a good streamer going.

Guest archiesmummy

Been Lightly snowing here in south west Essex, very cold, looking on twitter, lots of people think SW and channel islands really going to get hit, not expecting anything to make any impact here I am just happy to be keeping winter, weirdo I know! I should move to Alaska!

Happy mothers day to all the wonderful mums out there and thoughts for those who are looking down on us...x x x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

I'm getting quite excited :D

I really will miss this weather when the sun comes (as much as I am looking forward to the warmth now). Not just because of the snow, but because of this: THE BUILD UP. Ha!

Netweather has been awesome this year and what a finale to a tumultuous season.

I will come during the warmer months too for the first time in years just to see if I can match the excitement of a good snow dump or a autumn/winter storm - I don't think it will match though

Posted

Looking at Meteo France which would have the Arpege model at their disposal that shows the snow in the afternoon in the far north, which is a change from last night,that suggests they've moved the frontal zone further north, it does return south on Tuesday but perhaps this ties in with that small northward position in the low.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Snow!!!!

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Wow, just caught up with the 06Z GFS and NAE and the start of the northwards correction begins! Bring it on I say!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

Very light snow flurries here in West Kent now - and compared to a couple of hours ago it is absolutely bitter cold... Something's coming!!

Posted

I'd like to order the following for my old region.

Good cloud clearance, explosive convection enough time to deliver copious amounts of snow to areas away from the south coast, then the frontal zone moves in further north and delivers huge snow totals to the far south. Everyones happy then. There sorted, get your sledges ready.

Posted

I'm so excited I've had to tell the kids :-)

Even I'm excited and I live down here! This is going to be so much fun watching it develop, I really hope this delivers something special.

Posted

I'm getting quite excited :D

I really will miss this weather when the sun comes (as much as I am looking forward to the warmth now). Not just because of the snow, but because of this: THE BUILD UP. Ha!

Netweather has been awesome this year and what a finale to a tumultuous season.

I will come during the warmer months too for the first time in years just to see if I can match the excitement of a good snow dump or a autumn/winter storm - I don't think it will match though

Think you've hit the nail on the head there Alpine. Given how knife-edge snow events seem to have been this winter and how we've all struggled for serious snowfall, it's surely the tease in the models that has kept us all glued to NW, even when the Atlantic was in full control. How many in here feel that a full-on beauty of a chart during winter perks us up no end, especially when what normally verifies is something of a let down.

So here's to a productive streamer tonight and a great way to end this winter. Also, shouldn't begrudge the Channel Islands their snow event. Hope they get plastered. Must be incredible for them to be sitting under a red warning, especially in March.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Temperature 2.1°C

Dewpoint

0.9°C

There falling fast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Warning of Snow for East of England :

Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Peterborough, Southend-on-Sea & Thurrock

Yellow Warning of Snow for London & South East England :

Medway

Snow showers will affect many eastern parts of the UK during Sunday evening and overnight into Monday, the showers moving well inland on strong northeasterly winds.

Accumulations of snow will be very variable, as the showers are expected to become aligned into bands, with some places seeing 2-5 cm of snow and possibly as much as 10 cm in a few places in eastern Scotland and northeast England by Monday morning. Lying snow will drift in the fresh to strong north-easterly winds.

Ice will be an additional hazard, particularly in Scotland and northeast England where there has been melting between showers during Sunday.

The public should be aware of the risk of disruption to travel.

Issued at:

1121 on Sun 10 Mar 2013

Valid from:

1600 on Sun 10 Mar 2013

Valid to:

1000 on Mon 11 Mar 2013

Very cold air will have spread westwards across most parts of the UK by late Sunday, with showers falling mainly as snow. The heaviest snow showers are likely in the northeast, with some moderate falls of snow occurring during Sunday night where these showers become banded.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=ee&from=rss&sn=E4A0F269-2B9A-C3FE-87DD-4E81A9EF8015_4_EE&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&fcTime=1362873600

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Look at the showers hitting scotland, how comes we can't get snow showers that affect such a wide area and travel far inland? never seems to happen down here its always some kind of streamer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Who can sort out a NW Essex streamer? Willing to pay lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

I'd like to order the following for my old region.

Good cloud clearance, explosive convection enough time to deliver copious amounts of snow to areas away from the south coast, then the frontal zone moves in further north and delivers huge snow totals to the far south. Everyones happy then. There sorted, get your sledges ready.

id second that.....and with current featured/evolving,i certainly would,nt bet against something of that order. Aday i,ll certainly be delving,all evo.