Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 09/03/13 18z ----->

A.J

Posted

I'm surprised your dew point is that low, it always seems to go up during showers (with the humidity) even when like yesterday it is well below freezing.

In fact looking t yesterday's graph you can see the showery spells as the humidity saws up and down

20130311.gif

Posted

Quite a few showers yesterday evening and particularly after 2200 to just after midnight left a reasonable cover. This morning however, there was a lot less than anticipated and not from thawing, is there a lot of evaporation going on?

Leaving the valley onto the Wolds tops you would hardly even know it had snowed at all. Very odd.

Heavy snow showers moving in now.

Posted

I think tommorow could be quite an interesting day, Heavy thundery showers with hail/sleet/snow, could be some very rapid accumulations in places. Yes maybe not lasting long and not the powdery ones of yesterday but nether the less quite exciting smile.png

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

Had some moderate snow showers overnight which topped up the existing thin cover. Being another good thaw today still some lying snow in shaded areas and being some snow showers on and off all day not amounting to much but still nice to watch. Must say feel very pleasant when the sun comes out nowhere near as cold as yesterday with that biting wind gone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I think tommorow could be quite an interesting day, Heavy thundery showers with hail/sleet/snow, could be some very rapid accumulations in places. Yes maybe not lasting long and not the powdery ones of yesterday but nether the less quite exciting smile.png

Can't get excited over that - not when the south coast has received 6 inches and over 2 feet in drifts. Nothing is going to excite me until next winter, so I think it's time to give up for now - a good winter overall but I've lost interest now.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

I'm surprised your dew point is that low, it always seems to go up during showers (with the humidity) even when like yesterday it is well below freezing.

In fact looking t yesterday's graph you can see the showery spells as the humidity saws up and down

Aye, Iv'e noticed that before. This time though the humidity rose from 34% to 50% during the shower so it was already very low. Whether that's accurate or not i'm not sure. Never recorded humidity that low before.

Had quite a few decent showers today. Started as heavy snow then progressively turned sleety. Temp now 2.7C, RH 73% = Dew point of -1.4C.

A rather interesting forecast on the MO for tomorrow.....

post-10637-0-54901500-1363102542_thumb.p

Posted

Had a couple of hail/snow showers in the last hour, not settled too much but very icy out there.

And another shower, turning white now.

Edited by woldsowl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Went down to Oxfordshire for a job interview during yesterday and today- saw a lot of heavy short-lived snow showers on the train on the way down during yesterday afternoon, and it was a similar story at Sandhutton, but my mother reported just 2cm on the ground this morning, due to the short-lived and blowing nature of the snowstorms. It was dry over Oxfordshire with frontal snow to the SE and snow showers to the NW.

My weather station registered a max of just 0.9C yesterday which is lower than any maximum that I recorded in March in 20 years of records at Cleadon- and this in spite of a fair amount of sunshine in between the showers.

As a convection lover first and snow lover second, I'm quite excited by the upcoming outlook as long as those slow-moving fronts don't hang around after tomorrow. Tomorrow has a fair amount of potential for moderate to heavy wintry showers and large fluctuations in temperature and the same goes for Saturday/Sunday/Monday, but if we get slow-moving fronts then it will be grey with "cold rain" instead.

Posted

It seems a very different air source this evening though, still +1.4C so the bit of fluffy windblown snow will be melting steadily.

I think it's more North Atlantic in origin than yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

As a convection lover first and snow lover second, I'm quite excited by the upcoming outlook as long as those slow-moving fronts don't hang around after tomorrow. Tomorrow has a fair amount of potential for moderate to heavy wintry showers and large fluctuations in temperature and the same goes for Saturday/Sunday/Monday, but if we get slow-moving fronts then it will be grey with "cold rain" instead.

Having just checked the ECMWF, though, the latter stages of that run (T+168 onwards) would probably support frontal snow even at low levels as we get cold air digging in from the NE, so I have to correct myself a little.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Had a decent snow shower about half hour ago. Left a nice covering which has since melted. Forecast looks great here overnight and tomorrow, just need the temp a bit lower for the snow to stick around and accumulate a bit.

Temp 1.5C. Dew Point -1.9C

Posted

Had a decent snow shower about half hour ago. Left a nice covering which has since melted. Forecast looks great here overnight and tomorrow, just need the temp a bit lower for the snow to stick around and accumulate a bit.

Temp 1.5C. Dew Point -1.9C

Down to 0,4 here, so everything that has fallen has frozen solid. Roads won't be pleasant in the morning.

Posted

The showers have turned to snow here now too after a mixture of sleet and wet snow earlier in the evening. The latest has left a dusting on the grass and cars.

Its pretty marginal though with a temp of 1.3C and dewpoint of 0.6C.

Posted

Having just checked the ECMWF, though, the latter stages of that run (T+168 onwards) would probably support frontal snow even at low levels as we get cold air digging in from the NE, so I have to correct myself a little.

Indeed, even though we have to fight an ever strengthening sun there'll be plenty of cloud around so any snow cover could last a while.

Posted

Heavy snow shower now and the good news is that the wind has dropped out completely, so if you catch a shower it will last a bit, not like the last couple of days.

One car made some tracks through the village and 5 minutes later they were covered over again. Let's see what the night brings.

Posted

Heavy snow shower now and the good news is that the wind has dropped out completely, so if you catch a shower it will last a bit, not like the last couple of days.

One car made some tracks through the village and 5 minutes later they were covered over again. Let's see what the night brings.

Grand view of the wolds slopes this morning. Wight over.

Woke up by a mega shower last night, hail, snow, gusty wind and a rumble of thunder thrown in for good measure! a complete white out! T'was reet grand! Looks like the rest of the showers were of snow as nothing else woke me up and we have around 3-4cm's cover.

Wind really dropped here too allowing the temp to drop of enough to freeze everything. Temp is now 1.0C, RH 80% with a dew point of -1.8.

Squally showers forecast for the rest of this morning before turning lighter this afternoon and overnight. My sister in law is heading back from Gibraltar today too! She's gonna be freezing!

Awww, damn gritters just been past. Bye bye snow!!

Edited by PMPhotography

Posted

Pretty bad here this morning with maybe 3" of new snow drifting and still coming down.

A load of cattle were supposed to be going to market today for a 'spring sale' but that won't happen!

If I could get the heavily loaded trailer up the lane the thought of 18 miles over the moors in this is scary.

Posted

A good 7cm with us, don't you just love a Northerly, puts what we've just had to shame!

As per usual, amounts ease the further west you go and nothing towards York as you drop off the Wolds.

Roads are OK, but the usual prangs and cars in hedges scenario.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Morning all,

I woke to another overall covering.

As I type, it is snowing heavily, quite big flakes too.

B.

Posted

Similar here this morning, a thin 0.5cm cover but 100% cover nonetheless (and better than anything the easterly produced). Most of it has melted now though, despite the fact we're getting regular snow showers.

Its the third day with a morning snowcover though, so nothing to sneeze at in March.

Temp is 3.2C with a dewpoint of 2.3C, which shows how much warmer upper temps allow snow here in Northerlies compared to easterlies where anything milder than about -8C at 850hPa level are pretty useless!

Edited by reef