Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 09/03/13 21z---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

also pierremont says its 6.4c cant be right mine in my garden says 4.1c n that other one says its 7.9 again clearly in the sun

Yeah looks like the sun is affecting both today

Aycliffe is showing 4.3c which is closer to the mark no way is it 6.4 or 7.9c

Is the Northerly tomorrow going to be similar to yesterday, as in hit or miss showers? Or will the precipitation come in organised bands?

Hit and miss been a northerly we can expect a day of sunshine and snow showers some areas may miss the snow all together

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

I have my eye on tomorrow evening - we could see showers before then, but during the evening a trough is predicted to move in from the coast, and I could see us getting a fair bit from it.

i wonder why these no warnings in place then

Posted

I'm currently repairing a fence on top of durham\northumberland border @ 2000 feet near allenheads and snow is about 8 inches deep as far as I can see in any direction. Temp is -2.8 and windy. Plus sky over the cheviot looking quite dark now.

Posted

i wonder why these no warnings in place then

This is something the met office seem to have no concern over atm currently they are forecasting north westerly winds with patchy cloud

Outlook for Thursday to Saturday:

Thursday scattered snow showers through the morning, then becoming dry and sunny. Friday will be windy, less cold, with outbreaks of rain, preceded temporarily by hill snow. Saturday occasional rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

I stand to be corrected but I think generally speaking Northerlies tend to favour coastal strips rather than very far inland.

Often in the past East of the A1 has faired well from Northerlies.

Posted

I stand to be corrected but I think generally speaking Northerlies tend to favour coastal strips rather than very far inland.

Often in the past East of the A1 has faired well from Northerlies.

Yeah the coastal strip should see some snow showers tomorrow but anyone whos 10 to 15 miles or more inland could struggle to see much in the way of snow with sunshine most likely. A few rouge showers may get well inland but thats about it. Either way I can't see them been as frequent as they were yesterday

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

Turned cloudy in Darlo now though looking at the radar there is nothing on its way yet with the precipitation in the north sea mostly rain and sleet at the moment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

does those uppers make tonight marginal for this time of the year on the coast

infact the itv weather just showed sleet there for us

ECM0-0.GIF?12-0

Edited by Boro Snow

Posted

I'm happy with the sun today as its melting a lot of the snow in non shaded areas, much more is going now than what would in say January with the roads now wet from the melt so any snow would struggle to settle with not much expected Ice would be the main issue I think if it stays clear for a long time over night

Getting close to 4.5c here now with the dew point upto -5.7°C from a low of -10.1°C

it did get upto 6 degress gavin when i cam home at 4 it was 6.2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Sleety snow about half an hour ago, +2C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Well I have to say that we have waited a long time for a cold blast like this and it failed to deliver. I was expecting some heavy prolonged snowfall for the region. I don't hold my hopes up for the current northerly, though I would like to be wrong. Radar showing nothing of any significance this side of 10pm and perhaps beyond....

Posted

Looks to be a mild sector spreading across the region at the moment in association

with a weak cold front.

Sub-zero dewpoints return quite quickly later on this evening but can we coax

those showers out in the north sea inland?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Had a couple of sleety showers around 18:30 but since then bo-diddly.

Posted

Had a couple of sleety showers around 18:30 but since then bo-diddly.

Remind me why anyone thought anywhere in our region apart from about the first 100m along the coast would get anything tonight? N'lies are awful for here. We need an E'ly element. Always do.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Just had a heavy snow shower everthing covered again, Temp went from 2.6 to 1.3 when the shower came along. Plenty more on the radar, for once its good to be right on the coast

Posted

Just had a heavy snow shower everthing covered again, Temp went from 2.6 to 1.3 when the shower came along. Plenty more on the radar, for once its good to be right on the coast

where in the region are you?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Remind me why anyone thought anywhere in our region apart from about the first 100m along the coast would get anything tonight? N'lies are awful for here. We need an E'ly element. Always do.

The NAE and GFS (maybe the others, I haven't looked) still give us a good chance of snow tomorrow morning as a kink in the isobars on the pressure charts indicates the trough will move onshore, and the precipitation charts support this. By the afternoon I would be a bit worried about the rising temperatures.

Posted

where in the region are you?

Redcar 10 miles down the road from you

Posted

Redcar 10 miles down the road from you

Ah right, you're in the perfect location for this Northerly then. I can't imagine many people treating themselves to a lemon top ice cream during this week, it must be bitterly cold there

Posted

The NAE and GFS (maybe the others, I haven't looked) still give us a good chance of snow tomorrow morning as a kink in the isobars on the pressure charts indicates the trough will move onshore, and the precipitation charts support this. By the afternoon I would be a bit worried about the rising temperatures.

what about wed evening you were talking about yesterday is that still a possibilty

Posted

Now the down side of being near the coast shows its hand. A rapid thaw,temp and dew point rising again. Looks like it will be one of those night were showers fall and settle but quickly melt as soon as the shower has passed threw.

Posted

Ah right, you're in the perfect location for this Northerly then. I can't imagine many people treating themselves to a lemon top ice cream during this week, it must be bitterly cold there

I cycled home from work yesterday and i have never been so cold in my life (apart from when i did the boxing day dip for charity in 2010 with snow layed on the sand the sand,still makes me shiver thinking about that) even though i had six layers on it felt like i was pedeling naked. To be fair thow it is cold in the summer here, that North sea never does get very warm.