Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 12th March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

from where i am we tend to always 'miss out' on snow events (to close to sea heat etc) but this is just astonishing! been snowing for 16 hours now non-stop. and is now getting even heaver! JUST WOW!!

Its amazing isn't ityahoo.gif That smiley seems appropriate and no exaggeration to what is going on out there. For this location here, we do well with NE'rly snow events most years, but this in nearly mid March from a rare low pressure set up that has very cold air sucked in from Russia and wrapped in it, is something very specialwub.png

Posted

Started to get heavier now, but going by how it's been today it will have stopped next time I look out the window. It doesnt seem to want to settle on surfaces either which I dont understand as its baltic out there!

Posted

Back under the Train again here

Bed time for me, will see how much we get to (Depth) around 6am tomorrow, but am quietly confident this could be the best depth of the whole winter here.

Do you think north-west essex could well be in the game soon? seen a few flakes blowing around

yes possibly its taking its time though!

PPN here back to 9/10!

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Anymore half-time totals please.

Would you be able to P.M your depths please, difficult to keep track of them in such a fast moving thread!

Leigh-on-Sea (E) (PAUL SHERMAN) v. South Ockenden (E) (CRAZY DIAMOND)

Little Wakering (E) (ESSEXGOONER) v. Rayleigh (E) (VESUVIUS)

Dartford (K) (CHARLTON KERRY) v. Addington (Sur) (SNOWBOB)

Barnet (H) (SUBURBAN STREAMER) v. Wimbledon (L) (LONDON SNOW)

Bromley (K) (JAN_BROMLEY) v. Uckfield (Sus) (TOM JARVIS)

Ongar (E) (JO S) v. Bushey (H) (SVALIJI)

Waltham Abbey (E) (JOHN MAC) v. N.W.Kent ? (KENTSPUR)

S.W.London (FLUID DYNAMIC) v. Northwood (L) (BLUEBREEZER54)

Swanley (K) (SNOWBLUES) v. Crayford (K) (MIKE STORM)

N.W.Kent (LAUREN) v. Welwyn (H) (PIXEL)

Bexleyheath (K) (SNOW RAVEN) v. Chigwell (E) (ARCHIESMUMMY)

FRIENDLY

West Ipswich (Suf) (CHRIS101) v. Rochester (K) (STEVIERAY1)

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

MT8_London_ens.png

gfs main run loses the plot from the 17th

people looking for spring do not look at these

warmer on the 15th

getting cold again on the 17th

Posted

Hi John all that stuff crossing me on the radar and we have nothing...looks all the same lol

hi mate

when it first got here i had to go outside as it was so windy

i could not see it

can now though smile.png

not recommended going outside as wind chill is absolutely bitter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Finally we have lift off in Lewisham! Snow slowly beginning to accumulate where it isn't blown into little piles-thank you "Essex train" for making my night at work in London! Needs to keep going like this to actually give a proper covering though it's exciting nonetheless

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Guildford: Haven't had a decent snow event since March since 1987 and that was only 5 cm which lasted all of 6 hours. The last 5 winters ('08~'09 through to '12~'13) - defined by 1st December to 28th (29th) February, have all performed well for snow, some better than others, but March is a different story. No March event has been more than a dusting since 6th~7th March 1987. Light snow has fallen in March in 2001, 2004, 2005, 2007, and 2008 and these were all 'dustings'. Each time, somewhere nearby received a much greater depth.

So today's letdown is nothing new then. Last time there was snow in March was in 2008 - Sunday 23rd - which was supposed to yield 9 cm and there was all but 1 hour of moderate wet snow which thawed after another hour.

Last impressive March snow event was probably Maunday Thursday 27th in 1975 when it was a cold Easter with further snow events to follow. There was also impressive depths in March in 1970 (4th) when the WHOLE region was affected and in a northerly as well; 1965 (4th) and 1964 (15th).

At least today's bu**er-up is not connected to, or slurs the otherwise 'good' winter and is primarily a spring letdown and therefore not a winter letdown.

I really do hope this March isn't going to be like 2006 (or 1996) with endless nasty windy cold damp and overcast days with 'winter' dragging on but not yielding any interesting events. That would be an even bigger kick in the teeth after today.

Posted

Finally we have lift off in Lewisham! Snow slowly beginning to accumulate where it isn't blown into little piles-thank you "Essex train" for making my night at work in London! Needs to keep going like this to actually give a proper covering though it's exciting nonetheless

I think your Lewisham snow train has just reached Anerley, started to snow here now too.

Make that a 1.5 cm wall drift, 2 streets away or is it a 2 cm drift, 1.5 streets away, getting tired now!unknw.gif

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!

post-13201-0-28182000-1363047562_thumb.j

This first pic is my front garden, you can make out a step, the second step further up has vanished. Pics are not great as taken from mobile and likely sideways as they always upload sideways to here when I post from my phone.post-13201-0-68130300-1363047801_thumb.j

Second pic is the back garden, you might just be able to make out the garden table, I think there's probably a good five inches there.

The wind has been relentlessly blasting snow at my back door, so I have an obstinate bald patch on the patio as all the snow from there is plastered up the door and window, probably nearing a 1ft mini drift.

A truly epic day and it's still coming down with the wind still howling. All the local schools are closed tomorrow so hoping to get out and enjoy it!

Posted

I wonder how this event matches up in terms of Sussex coastal snowfall in March, possibly the heaviest since 1970.

http://www.wetterzen...00119700305.gif

http://www.wetterzen...00219700305.gif

Regards,

Tom.

Edited by TomSE20

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Very light again I would have called it a moderate snow shower compared to the blizzard condition I witnessed this morning in Dartford!

Posted

I wonder how this event matches up in terms of the Sussex coast snowfall, possibly the heaviest since March 1970.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1970/Rrea00119700305.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1970/Rrea00219700305.gif

Regards,

Tom.

I think for the coast this has been quite bad.

But us on the other side of the South Downs we had over 20cm of snow a couple of years ago.

Edited by West Sussex Kate

Posted

While I'm genuinely pleased for all you folk with the impressive snowfall I am personally absolutely gutted. I first alerted my friends down in Fairlight/Hastings about this possible event over a week ago. I quite often stay at their place down there so I was really angling to get another invite, but they didn't take the bait.

In the end I asked them outright, and they said sorry but no, probably for the first time in the 4 years they have been living there. Talk about paradise lost, I'm distraught. cray.gif

Posted

This is the French perspective at the moment. A couple of totals from the N.French coast.

Gruchet Le Valasse (35 cms) obv. the French Yamkin, sorry Yammy!

Fecamp (30 cms). http://www.awon.org/memorials/normandy/normandiemap.JPG

temp2_1h.png

Edited by TomSE20

Posted

The streamer may wax and wane in intensity but it will continue for many hours.

Look it goes all the way back across to the north coast of holland ....

http://meteox.de/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=loop1uur&lightning=1

Looks like a good chance of parts of the capital especially East and South London waking up to a little