Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring Model Discussion 17/3/13 6PM onwards....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Well, I'll wait until the ECM comes out later and continue to clutch onto these for now...Housetohome-Retro-straw-dispenser.jpg

But it's certainly looking like I saw my last snowfall of the year yesterday with the charts on offer right now - bring on the spanish plumes I say!

Posted

Looks like Gavin could be talking to himself for a while. Some were too quick to dismiss the gfs and favour the ukmo... We are entering that boring period where there is no snow but no mild / storms either. Unless there's a sudden turn around I'm signing off for the winter and will see you on the convective thread in the summer :)

Edited by Tim Bland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Looked at the GFS ensembles, not one going for mild, on the other hand none going for cold either up to day 8. Guess considering the mildies/coldies arguments it's probably some kind of karma.

Oh well it might be a while before we get some convective activity if we are stuck in a cool/wet South Easterly flow. Might take a break for a while on here until mother nature wakes me from my eternal slumber.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

12z ensembles are not warm and at the same time not cold probably 7 to maybe 11c would be my guess for the temperature range for the bulk of England and Wales, given the strong ish sun now in any sunny spells it would feel very pleasant

MT8_London_ens.png?6767676767

MT8_Manchester_ens.png?6767676767

The Aberdeen ensemble isn't looking quite as cold now as it was a few days ago

MT8_Aberdeen_ens.png?6767676767

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

ECM at just 96 hrs out swings back the other way. Better blocking to the N compared to UKMO and its 0z output

ECM1-96.GIF?18-0

At 120 the colder air is much more evident than it was on the 0z

ECM0-120.GIF?18-0

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Looks like Gavin could be talking to himself for a while.

I'm use to that lol

Anyway ECM brings in the milder at t96 all in agreement now with this

ECM0-96.GIF?18-0

T120 has a slight difference between ECM and GFS but snow chances are very slim for all but Scotland and maybe the far north of England

ECM0-120.GIF?18-0

00z for the same time not really a great deal of difference

ECM0-120.GIF?00

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I don't believe any of the operational output for the end of this week yet (mild or cold), according to the latest meto update today, there will be blizzards across northern britain this weekend and more snow for central and northern uk next week, so until the meto update changes, i'm keeping hopes alive for a continuation of the cold unsettled weather for the next few weeks with the cold block remaining very close to northeast britain.

Posted

I'm use to that lol

Anyway ECM brings in the milder at t96 all in agreement now with this

ECM0-96.GIF?18-0

T120 has a slight difference between ECM and GFS but snow chances are very slim for all but Scotland and maybe the far north of England

ECM0-120.GIF?18-0

00z for the same time not really a great deal of difference

ECM0-120.GIF?00

There's a big difference at 120....namely much less energy over Greenland

ECH1-120.GIF?18-0

And there's your difference manifested at 144....-4 to-6 uppers and a bitingly cold wind

ECH1-144.GIF?18-0

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

I don't believe any of the operational output for the end of this week yet (mild or cold), according to the latest meto update today, there will be blizzards across northern britain this weekend and more snow for central and northern uk next week, so until the meto update changes, i'm keeping hopes alive for a continuation of the cold unsettled weather for the next few weeks with the cold block remaining very close to northeast britain.

And a case of so close but no cigar for the majority of the population in southern UK

Posted

so the ecm goes against gfs and ukmo,certainly no downgrade from this model infact more of an upgrade.

Once again people writing off the chances of wintry weather too soon.

The mild weather fans might have to keep low after this,instead of thinking mild weather is returning by the end of the week.rofl.gif

Remember the models dont control the weather.

Expect more changes as the models get to grips with the tricky situation.

Still could go either way

Posted

Well that looks like game set and match to me and just goes to show

that despite a record tanking -AO and a 1055 high over Svalbard it

does not necessarily mean freezing weather for the UK.

ECM t144 chart and we have a undercut again with the colder uppers

returning but the way the ECM has been flipping around in its latter

output I would tend to ignore it at this stage.

Posted

Well that looks like game set and match to me and just goes to show

that despite a record tanking -AO and a 1055 high over Svalbard it

does not necessarily mean freezing weather for the UK.

The ECM shows why the weekend and beyond isn't cut and dried....to the less seasoned of members out there the opening frames of the ECM looked much the same as its 0z run but in reality there were small but important nuances in energy distribution. The GFS, UKMO or any other model will not have this sorted yet and the ECM proves this to 144 hrs.

Posted

At 168 on the 0z we had southerly winds....the 12z wants easterly winds and -6 to -8 uppers

ECH1-168.GIF?18-0

Posted

ECM swinging back to cold again the models seem to be struggling to get to grips at the moment for later this week and into next week plenty of twists and turns to come yet before we get a clear picture

ECM0-168.GIF?18-0

ECM1-168.GIF?18-0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

All the models have been flipping around, today's ukmo 00z v ukmo 12z is a case in point, nothing is resolved yet for the end of the week onwards, it's delicately balanced in my opinion.

Posted

Are winter fans starting to think about hibernation?

Ukmo model does a complete backtrack,with milder coditions for the weekend.

Could be a sad day for us coldies.bring on spring now i say.

Posted

All the models have been flipping around, today's ukmo 00z v ukmo 12z is a case in point, nothing is resolved yet for the end of the week onwards, it's delicately balanced in my opinion.

Yeah which is why people quoting 'Game Set and Match' have really got on my wick today. Even the GEFS show a 5 or 6 members which sustain cold throughout. Shows how finely poised this is.

ECM 192...Just gets even colder

ECH1-192.GIF?18-0

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

-8 uppers from ECM now quite widely far south west remains the mildest (just with -4 uppers)

ECM0-192.GIF?18-0

ECM1-192.GIF?18-0

Quite a high snow risk for the north on Friday

SN.5.gif

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

No signs of any warm up, at best normal March weather will resume.

no signes of any warm up? normal march IS a warm up! :p

Never mind the easterlies could be back for April

Rtavn3841.png

good.gifgood.gif

yep, and do you know what a chart like thatll bring? seen it so many times before, notably april 1974, cool grey stratus dominating the day, burning off from the west, itll be nice IF and WHERE the sun breaks through, charts like that favour northwestern scotland where high temps can be gained.

Sorry guys, thought id just put this across, this is not getting at anyone, but why are some people getting excited at warmer uppers coming up in FI, from what i see some of these uppers are associated with very wet weather which many parts could do without, if the azores high ridges and we get a nice high pressure i could probably agree and be getting excited, i don't want another atlantic wet system starting up again and i'm sure many would agree...

becuase im sick of the cold, i need it to be warmer for business, i like milder weather, not keen on rain but hey ho.

Looks like Gavin could be talking to himself for a while. Some were too quick to dismiss the gfs and favour the ukmo... We are entering that boring period where there is no snow but no mild / storms either. Unless there's a sudden turn around I'm signing off for the winter and will see you on the convective thread in the summer smile.png

boring period? BORING PERIOD? mate, you are missing out on some beautiful weather if you only like extremes. spring is a wonderful time. :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Aye, the mild air's winning by a country mile in FI:

ECM0-192.GIF?18-0

Up to that point -8C uppers on every frame from central Scotland northwards, with the boundary between milder and colder air shifting back and forth from southern to northern England. One of the colder runs certainly and different in that it disrupts the low but as long as one of the three main models shows something substantially different to the others this won't be settled.

Posted

bitterly cold weather returning according to the ECM then.

With such contrasts between the models at the moment I would hold fire in trying to predict the weather at all for later in the week.

The met office forecasters have a real nightmare on their hands regarding what is going to fall out of the sky later in the week,and if the bitter winds return afterwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

The GEM at 144 hrs is similar to the ECM at the same timescale.

Anyone consider waking the captain 'S' from his slumbers?