Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 22/03/13 08z ----->

A.J

Posted

Ian Fergusson @fergieweather

W COUNTRY Threat of disruptive snow by Fri-Sat thankfully reduced, albeit still uncertain... @metoffice currently gives it 20% probability.

Thankfully? THANKFULLY? THANKFULLY?

Edited by noggin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Mullender,

9/10 times this happens to us here, just unfortunate part of the world for snow really, if atlantic does stop in our lifetimes things will change dramatically so with regards to cold snowy winters.

Noggin, he has to say that due to the nature of his job, can`t go on points west and say yeah ha great loads snow on the way.

Posted

I don't even think a "thankfully" is required to kill off any chance down here of anything likely to fall and remain on the ground.

Too late, too warm too far south is more the sum of it.

Ian Fergusson @fergieweather

W COUNTRY Threat of disruptive snow by Fri-Sat thankfully reduced, albeit still uncertain... @metoffice currently gives it 20% probability.

And yet again the weather gods stick two fingers up to the South West. A shower of snizzle in the wind it is then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Well we still have a little hope, look what happened to the last english channel low a week or so back that was meant to hit but went further south and missed Cornwall and Devon by 50 miles! lol It did skim the southeast causing lots of snow there (of course it would grrrrr) You never know this time it might be further North?!

This really is last chance saloon for any snow in the Southwest, more especially Cornwall and Devon

This winter has been one down grade after the other and near misses, I think I can manage another one and hope for the better luck next winter.....Lets hope we get a spakling summer to make up for the past two years of one weather let down after the other....

Edited by TwisterGirl81

Posted

Morning all,well its cloudy and 4.4C and judging by the walk to the papershop just now the windchill sends that temp into the minus for sure,really bitter.

Well living not far from the coast i could be a bit peeved at the amount of laying snow this winter,but when i look at the amount of days snow has fallen,then really i think we've done well on the grand scheme of things,i mean 5 yrs ago we'd of been screaming for a few flakes let alone whats fallen,im like most on here,would love a whiteout of epic proportions and snowed in,but lets be grateful that even this late in march,the potential is still there albeit diminishing ;-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Probably thinking in terms of all the holiday people, all those people piling down to the south-west

with their swimming cossies, bucket & spade... ready for the beaches

I caved in, took a trip to Wolverhampton last weekend. I needed another snow-fix. Hopefully for the south-west

our time will come

The outbound journey on Friday morning was rain

North of Bristol, a pasting of white could be seen on nearby hills

I was looking at car roofs on the motorway, some cars moving in opposite direction had signs of snow

on their roofs

White patches started to appear in the fields

South of Birmingham, there was a quick transition to all white fields

On to Wolverhampton, the snow was melting some... drip drip... slush

The main event began around 2:15pm Friday afternoon

Big 50p'er sized wet flakes for a while... the rest of the weekend was smaller but drier snow

Never really stopped... various intensities

It was still snowing when i left at 11:20 Sunday morning

South of Birmingham, the snow cover rapidly thinned, then back to green fields

Took some video, here's one

Edited by stevofunnelcl

Posted

It means a cold weather alert, of which we do have a yellow one.

Well guys, i guess I will keep the faith a little longer then.

Who am I kidding, i've been following the forum for the last 5 years or so and I'm not likely to quit any year soon.

Model , radar and lampost watching is facinating stuff. I have learnt so much over the years, it just becomes more addictive. However, after the last few years and all it's disappointments, I have learnt to keep my expectations low.

I have an Auto-immune disease which prevents me from going out in the sun, so Im afraid I wont be praying for a heatwave but I do hope for a warm (not hot!!) rest of spring before we roll into the endless damp that we call summer.

Just to keep on topic, still bone dry and blustery here,(really must get myself a weather station me thinks).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Such a shame our chances are once again vanishing before our eyes... Really is a awful winter for us please please please just give us a snow event and then bring on ther mild I have had enough of cold grey days with nothing positive snow wise. lazy.gif

It might have been an awful winter on the Mendips in comparison with other years but down here at a much lower level our 2 days in January with laying snow is pretty good. For 12 years I only saw a couple of dustings so I'm happy with one decent snowfall during the winter months.

Had a few flurries this morning and temp now at 1.3c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

It might have been an awful winter on the Mendips in comparison with other years but down here at a much lower level our 2 days in January with laying snow is pretty good. For 12 years I only saw a couple of dustings so I'm happy with one decent snowfall during the winter months.

Pretty similiar IMBY too. Having only lived in the Bristol area since 1999 I can't comment on what winters before then were like as I wasn't here.

Since 1999, up until 2008 I think it was, winter snow was virtually non exsistant IMBY, with many a winter in the noughties governed by rain and double figure temperatures. We had the best snowfall I have seen in Bristol in 2009, Feb I think it was. 2010 was the coldest, although not too snowy. Last winter was poor IMBY, just a dusting. This winter has been frustrating more than anything because its been a long season, with so many chances to be so much better than what it actually was in terms of snowfall. Still though, in January I did have the second best snowfall I have had behind 2009, so because of that I can't say its been too bad. I've had far more worse winters than better winters than this winter since I've been in Bristol. Like I said, it feels worse than it actually was for my area because we have had so many chances, many more chances than what we usually have, to make it a memorable winter.

Anyway, we all have different expectations when it comes to the weather. One snowfall IMBY is better than none, which is what many further south and west than me have had.

Winter is gone now, well its supposed to go anyway, its nearly April for Gods sake! lol.

Bring on storms and warmth. Looking forward to radar chasing those storms again. No doubt we will all be back in November to do it all again! :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Yes I'll it's tough, I got a really bad cold, please stop the boring cold weather or I'll get more sick D:

If this bone chilling raw weather continues, I'm probably going to move to Dubai!

Posted

I'm probably going to move to Dubai!

We don't have a regional thread for there though :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

1.3 Degrees

-2.5 windchill

Apparant temp: -3.3

DP: -3.8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Yes you are right most of Somerset has an average of 0 - 4 days but I am used to my average of 14 - 28 which is very lacking this year. march average of around 3 days is also still behind cray.gif I swear If I lived on the Himalayas I would end up with record glacial melt and lack of snow lazy.gif Another ice day just today -0.5c but not quite as cold as yesterday.

Posted

BBC weather forecast just now showed a snapshot of good friday weather and that 'attack' from the atlantic seems to be non-existent now! HP block looked stronger than ever!

Posted

BBC weather forecast just now showed a snapshot of good friday weather and that 'attack' from the atlantic seems to be non-existent now! HP block looked stronger than ever!

Yes, the ridged conditions look more dominant now to start the easter weekend. However, need to be mindful that albeit we've seen a reduction in snow threat Fri-Sat (and even this continues to have significant uncertainties and can't yet be discounted), the EPS continue to resurrect this potential later into Easter BH Weekend (Monday, notably). So it's not a done deal, yet, in evading some snow-related issues in the SW/S by start of next week.

Posted

Yes, the ridged conditions look more dominant now to start the easter weekend. However, need to be mindful that albeit we've seen a reduction in snow threat Fri-Sat (and even this continues to have significant uncertainties and can't yet be discounted), the EPS continue to resurrect this potential later into Easter BH Weekend (Monday, notably). So it's not a done deal, yet, in evading some snow-related issues in the SW/S by start of next week.

Any chance of a Spring this year? You know, April Showers and all that! :p :p

Posted

Any chance of a Spring this year? You know, April Showers and all that! :p :p

Latest DECIDER products maintain cold / significantly cold E/NE bias for at least next 10-15 days. Grim.

Posted

Thank you for your updates Ian, from a selfish point of view I'm glad the Fri/Sat risk is reducing as we have a rare family get together happening on Sat in Stratford On Avon, with us travelling North and my brother's family travelling South to get there!

I was very surprised by the snow while out working in Westbury this morning, it was graining / flurrying from before 07.00 until nearly midday with what I would term moderate snow falling for the middle few hours and blowing in the wind which prevented settling, although some frozen ground did start to have a dusting.

When snow grains are falling and you're out in them it's a great opportunity to study one of nature's true beauties as the grains land on cold clothing and don't melt, the shapes/patterns are amazing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Oh joy. Thanks Ian!

Posted

Thanks for the update Ian - top stuff, as usual!

Posted

Latest DECIDER products maintain cold / significantly cold E/NE bias for at least next 10-15 days. Grim.

Would struggle to remember a cold spell like this in Mid Winter, 2010 the obvious exception, but for a significant and lengthy cold spell well into Spring is bonkers. Something has to give sooner or later.

I like extremes and most kinds of weather etc but relentless cold and dull grey skies is even getting to me now. I want to go to Weston Super Mare in a t-shirt with my son in the Easter Holiday's, that isn't going to happen now!

Anyway, enough whinging, can't do nothing about it. Thanks for the update as ever Ian.

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.Thunder Storms

So Cold!! I wonder if this late Cold weather means we will get a decent Summer????? Blooming well hope so! Went into the shed the other day,looked at the Sledge and thought, wonder if it will get one more outing?biggrin.png

Posted

Defo grim for my heating bills. This time last year i'd shut it off!