Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 22/03/13 08z ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

Well that was a cold one today, don't remember many late march days like this while working outside, crazy stuff had my winter warmers on ;-)..... And plenty of coffee breaks too.

Most of my east facing bushes and trees have been burned by the wind as have the ivy on the hedges .

Well after our last chance of snow this weekend I shall be looking south for my weather .

These are the days to stay in the potting shedgood.gifgood.gif

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

... perhaps an explanation is that snowflakes can travel around 25 miles from where they left the cloud before reaching the ground, and takes them up to one hour!

I'd argue the distance stated as those that fall around here seem to end up over 70miles away, in ANY directionfool.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter and summer

i was going to be in the log shed but was asked to pick up a pile of horse muck on the coastal field , and I said yeah I will do it!..... Big mistake lol

Posted

I think its time for the south west to do the right thing....

No fishing since start of the year.. Lets all donate a pound? Save a fish only a pound..... haha... I was joking lad.. know you had a few bit of banter of here though :)

Not being funny though.. Farming fishing.. must be doing bad...As spring lambing alone now a worry..And your east wind... Hope effects French two..

Posted

I see Mc Gintey ( ITN journo) is peddling his global warming agenda again on the peaktime news just now.

The guy doesnt give up - blaming recent events on man-made gases from 30 yrs ago!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

fax72s.gif?25-12

Trough in the flow on 72hrs fax chart

threat of snow for home counties, SE and EA?

Posted

Westcountry weather just said whats supposed to arrive friday now looks like its heading for france and theres only a chance it may clip the SW. I dont mind if whats going to france is rain but if thats our snow going over there again......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

well that didnt last!

Signal for the SE trough is only meaningful in UKMO-GM, but that's being followed for FAX at that timeframe currently... just in case.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Pretty similiar IMBY too. Having only lived in the Bristol area since 1999 I can't comment on what winters before then were like as I wasn't here.

Since 1999, up until 2008 I think it was, winter snow was virtually non exsistant IMBY, with many a winter in the noughties governed by rain and double figure temperatures. We had the best snowfall I have seen in Bristol in 2009, Feb I think it was. 2010 was the coldest, although not too snowy. Last winter was poor IMBY, just a dusting. This winter has been frustrating more than anything because its been a long season, with so many chances to be so much better than what it actually was in terms of snowfall. Still though, in January I did have the second best snowfall I have had behind 2009, so because of that I can't say its been too bad. I've had far more worse winters than better winters than this winter since I've been in Bristol. Like I said, it feels worse than it actually was for my area because we have had so many chances, many more chances than what we usually have, to make it a memorable winter.

Anyway, we all have different expectations when it comes to the weather. One snowfall IMBY is better than none, which is what many further south and west than me have had.

Winter is gone now, well its supposed to go anyway, its nearly April for Gods sake! lol.

Bring on storms and warmth. Looking forward to radar chasing those storms again. No doubt we will all be back in November to do it all again! blum.gif

It's also a problem that you actually live IN Bristol. A few miles out into the country and I can name plenty of decent snowfalls since 1999 - 4th Apr 2000, 21st Mar 2001, Feb 26th 2004, Nov 25th 2005, Mar 1st 2006, Feb 6th 2009, Jan 6th 2010 for example.

I see this thunderstorms too. It's as if Bristol has a 2-3 mile wide blockade around its perimeter, fending off snow and thunderstorms. The number of times I would come home from school on showery days from a dry all day Bristol to massive puddles in North Somerset, likewise with almost 4 times the amount of snow than Bristol is quite funny. It's not as if Bristol has a 'major' microclimate.

Meanwhile, Mum who works in Bristol tells me there was a nearly 3 hour long snow flurry today haha.

Posted

I think its time for the south west to do the right thing....

No fishing since start of the year.. Lets all donate a pound? Save a fish only a pound..... haha... I was joking lad.. know you had a few bit of banter of here though smile.png

Not being funny though.. Farming fishing.. must be doing bad...As spring lambing alone now a worry..And your east wind... Hope effects French two..

Call me thick but iv'e read your post about 10 times now andTBH i dont get your meaning

Take it it's some sort of p--s take!

As for the french,they have bigger boats.

Posted

Had to LOL at Points West showing the Somerset v Gloucestershie cricketers playing their annual pre season friendly at Taunton in 1c and snow flurries, with players wearing wooly hats/snoods just a year after the match was played in 21c and sunshine!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

I see that within less than 24 hours the countryfile forecast of a snowy low in the channel for friday has been downgraded.

Reminds me of the great extreme weather alert debacle back in Jan 2010 when 12-18 inches of snow was supposed to fall in Dorset and we ended up with not a flake.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Westcountry weather just said whats supposed to arrive friday now looks like its heading for france and theres only a chance it may clip the SW. I dont mind if whats going to france is rain but if thats our snow going over there again......

Damn those French, even though I know it's not strictly there fault, but damn them! Grhh

I see that within less than 24 hours the countryfile forecast of a snowy low in the channel for friday has been downgraded.

Reminds me of the great extreme weather alert debacle back in Jan 2010 when 12-18 inches of snow was supposed to fall in Dorset and we ended up with not a flake.

Oh I remember that, was that when the entire region surrounding us got smashed, but Dorset, zilch! That was possibly the most frustrating thing I have ever witnessed!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunder

As Ian mention earlier we aren't out of the woods yet with another concern for the beginning of next week and still Friday is highly uncertain, so IMO Easter weekend looking full of potential.

Im still in hope for a white easter, then i'd be more than happy to say goodbye to winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells or any decent thunderstorm

Well imagine this I live in SE Cornwall, St Germans and Saltash work in Plymouth and have not seen a single snowflake that hasn`t been accompanied by rain, i.e = sleet since January 2011 - thats 26 months of frustration! I did go up on Dartmoor for a fix a few weeks ago, and i did witness heavy snow on Salisbury plain a couple of weeks ago when i went to a 40th Birthday bash, but its just not the same as seeing it in your own backyard wallbash.giflol

Edited by Ian Williams

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

I see Mc Gintey ( ITN journo) is peddling his global warming agenda again on the peaktime news just now.

The guy doesnt give up - blaming recent events on man-made gases from 30 yrs ago!

Yep think bbc has something too on the website about more floods to come cos of global warming..

Now what they really should be doing is interviewing this lady.....

I love her... Don't forget t call your mama now to see if she alright.

Posted

Well imagine this I live in SE Cornwall, St Germans and Saltash work in Plymouth and have not seen a single snowflake that hasn`t been accompanied by rain, i.e = sleet since January 2011 - thats 26 months of frustration! I did go up on Dartmoor for a fix a few weeks ago, and i did witness heavy snow on Salisbury plain a couple of weeks ago when i went to a 40th Birthday bash, but its just not the same as seeing it in your own backyard wallbash.giflol

I am in millbrook and have only seen some lost bits of dust floating around in the wind!!!

Edited by jessandjon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Oops my bad laugh.pngoops.gif I also spilt cider on my keyboard other day and now I cannot use my enter key cray.gif Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

As Ian mention earlier we aren't out of the woods yet with another concern for the beginning of next week and still Friday is highly uncertain, so IMO Easter weekend looking full of potential.

Im still in hope for a white easter, then i'd be more than happy to say goodbye to winter.

Thing is George I was hoping a foot of snow from that rather than a foot of potential!!

Posted

I know your frustration.

We did get lucky here and have about 1 inch in the jan cold spell,but that was gone by lunchtime.

I'am afraid we live in the most snowless county and that's all you can say really.

Make up for it in other ways though,dont wesmile.png

Posted

Looks like another non-snow event this weekend. Had enough of this now and just want it to warm up and actually have some sunlight for a change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells or any decent thunderstorm

I am in millbrook and have only seen some lost bits of dust floating around in the wind!!!

Lmao! Love it, lost bits in the wind, i think i may of seen one or two lost bits a couple of weeks ago, could of been someones dandruff though! - not mine i1m bald lol

I know your frustration.

We did get lucky here and have about 1 inch in the jan cold spell,but that was gone by lunchtime.

I'am afraid we live in the most snowless county and that's all you can say really.

Make up for it in other ways though,dont wesmile.png

An inch is an inch hehe! Yep we do have some of the best beaches, and downpours! rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunder

Thing is George I was hoping a foot of snow from that rather than a foot of potential!!

This may be your case, but many of us haven't seen no more than a dusting, some have only witnessed sleet. So to have this opportunity to even see a covering or snow fall would be pleased by many, particularly Cornwall and Devon.

I would be happy with 5cm cover haha.

Edited by George

Posted

Lmao! Love it, lost bits in the wind, i think i may of seen one or two lost bits a couple of weeks ago, could of been someones dandruff though! - not mine i1m bald lol

An inch is an inch hehe! Yep we do have some of the best beaches, and downpours! rofl.gif

Thats what my wife sayscray.gif