Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 23/03/13 08z ----->

A.J

Posted

The very large drifts at Temple Newsam have completely compact, I can walk on top of them, so they will probably be here well into April. Snow drifts in May, anyone?!

I've known it snow in may so more than possible!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Today looks like it will be quite typical of the next few days- shallow convection bringing a fair number of light snow showers, which will be most frequent in the north-east of the region and fewest in the south-west. Tomorrow and Thursday look like being the peak days for North Sea convection according to the UKMO and GFS precipitation outputs, followed by an easing back on Friday as high pressure starts to build from the north. The weekend is looking generally dry with sunny intervals, warmer days, and colder nights.

Posted

Today looks like it will be quite typical of the next few days- shallow convection bringing a fair number of light snow showers, which will be most frequent in the north-east of the region and fewest in the south-west. Tomorrow and Thursday look like being the peak days for North Sea convection according to the UKMO and GFS precipitation outputs, followed by an easing back on Friday as high pressure starts to build from the north. The weekend is looking generally dry with sunny intervals, warmer days, and colder nights.

But if the ukmo chart was to be believed wouldn't there be more showers than this week?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Got to Ladybower this morning roads fine but narrow in places and always a chance of going round a corner into a drift. Main problem the snow is too deap for my walking boots so couldn't get far.

Slow thaw contining and showers now rduced to flurries.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Got to Ladybower this morning roads fine but narrow in places and always a chance of going round a corner into a drift. Main problem the snow is too deap for my walking boots so couldn't get far.

Slow thaw contining and showers now rduced to flurries.

Did you see the road up to snake pass? is the cover still good? smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Been snowing on and off all morning, sometimes heavy (like now). Quite nice really as all the brown, dirty snow cleared and dug off paths and roads is now covered over with a fresh layer so everything looking nice and pristine and white again. And the slight rise in temps is evidenced by the fact that we're getting big fluffy flakes, (although my weather station insists it's -1.8c, which I find rather hard to believe).

Posted

i woudnt say that cos the ecm looks very good for heavy snow showers on friday across most eastern areas!!so just add another day!!ðŸ‘

Posted

i woudnt say that cos the ecm looks very good for heavy snow showers on friday across most eastern areas!!so just add another day!!👊
But the UKMO wants to turn them into streamers for sunday LOL

Posted

Did you see the road up to snake pass? is the cover still good? smile.png

Didn't go that far but spoke to somebody who tried it and decided it wasn't worth a risk drifting snow apparently after the inn.

Posted

Didn't go that far but spoke to somebody who tried it and decided it wasn't worth a risk drifting snow apparently after the inn.

Might go up there on friday! is the edale area nicely covered still?

Posted

I went up to greenhow hill on saturday just after all the snow lol, but wouldn't have got near the top without the 4x4!

Your right there are some excellent drifts up there and with the wind we've had over the last few days they will probably be even better now smile.png Get your self up there is this really has been an extremley rare event and might be a while before we have such awesome scenes right on our door step again.

Will do mate. Remember taking teh missus and kids up there years ago saying the same. I'll try and persuade them on Friday. We really are getting spoilt the past few years..!

Posted

Some pics I took this morning. The white specks are snow flakes not dust....

post-2404-0-90689100-1364310393_thumb.jp

post-2404-0-60984800-1364310446_thumb.jp

post-2404-0-10065700-1364310541_thumb.jp

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Some pics I took this morning. The white specks are snow flakes not dust....

Is that hollingworth lake?

Anyway shallow convection, Heavy snow, makes no sense!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

This morning's ECMWF run did look pretty promising for snow showers getting going widely again on Saturday, after a possible easing off on Friday, but I thought the GFS and UKMO generally showed building pressure towards the weekend. However it does seem that tonight's UKMO/GFS are trending towards more of a north-easterly type over the weekend which, if high pressure doesn't build far south enough, could pep up the showery activity to levels beyond what we'll see this week.

Thus all I can really say with confidence is that tomorrow and Thursday look like having more showers about than today, and after that it could really go either way, but the present trend is towards a prolonging of the window for snow showers.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Is that hollingworth lake?

Anyway shallow convection, Heavy snow, makes no sense!

Lady Bower :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Just been out for a drive locally with the camera. It's hard to get a decent picture, but the two below aren't too bad.

First is the A640 main Huddersfield to Rochdale road, down to single file in many places past Outlane, and still blocked over the top. This is just after the M62 bridge between Outland and Pole Moor:

And this is the Pole Moor to Slaithwaite road, blocked after about 200 yards off the A640:

Apologies for the wet windscreen in the second one, it started snowing again and I didn't want the wipers getting in the way !

Edited by Pennine Ten Foot Drifts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

some very nice showers developing in the north sea now...!

That sun doesn't half make a difference when it comes out. Feels much more pleasant and I was amazed how much snow cover is disappearing off the fields from the vantage point of the Sheff - Wakefield train. Even at S10 a bit higher up there has been a slightly more noticeable thaw even with a couple of relatively heavy snow showers this morning.

Posted

That sun doesn't half make a difference when it comes out. Feels much more pleasant and I was amazed how much snow cover is disappearing off the fields from the vantage point of the Sheff - Wakefield train. Even at S10 a bit higher up there has been a slightly more noticeable thaw even with a couple of relatively heavy snow showers this morning.

Its mainly the snow drifting exposing the cover then the dry wind under cuts it and melts it! then the sun helps the sublimation :)

In terms of shower potential, the east wind will relax in Eastern Scotland and NE England through tomorrow therefore the showers will become fewer here. Further south acorss Yorks and Lincs it is a case of a light flow of preciptation, which will fall as sleet and snow. Any settling snow will be reserved to higher ground and inland areas. I believe the Metoffice latest warning reflects this.

Posted

Disappointing dat as far as showers go. Mostly flurries int he morning soon dying out until this evening when the odd one returned. Despite sunny periods the snow held on well. Low dew points indicate a very cold night if skies clear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Paul Hudson maintaining a largely dry outlook from tomorrow into the weekend with only reference to a centimetre or two in Eastern parts of North Yorkshire overnight tonight.

Cold and snowy I like but cold and dry is just a bit depressing. I never thought I would say this but come on Spring where are you?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Im really hoping for some mild westerly winds soon from an imby pov this cold is rubbish with no frosts and lack of snowfall its very boring lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

yeah dissapointing look north forecast, cold and dry is boring and is a massive waste of this lovely cold air

what we realy want is a massive low slamming into this cold just like last friday and saturday lol ;)