Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

My house was 19.1c when I got down this morning. If this carried on heating would be on in August like last year! Hopefully not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Think it went a bit overboard! One March 2013 day sticks out as the only day I literally couldn't heat the house about 17c as it was loosing heat so fast to the icy wind. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

One thing that feels very apparent from all this autumn talk - summer is an extremely brief thing in this country.The last weekend in June was the first warm one and it was the second week of July we finally shook off the cool NElys that have blown since January. Now barely a month later it was 11.6c overnight and the nights are 'drawing in'. Those that don't like warmth, 'hot' nights or summer in general really don't have a lot to complain about that's for sure - just a few weeks to deal with.

For me however - the house is chilly this morning and I'm now likely to loose a fair few pepper blooms to a cold night like that. And coming up - months & months & months of cool or cold conditions. Sure we'll catch some more warmth again yet but certainly high summer is passing now.

edit - Although didn't we say the same of winter on many early Feb days... then look at last March! Admittedly long days are gone by Sept but if we could have something of a summer reversal of last March that'd be sweet!

fully agree botty...

i feel im coming down off a mushy trip, i know i am, but every now and again another wave of euphoria comes over me. thats how i feel about august.

i must say, for all the moaning i did about the spring cold....it was rather interesting to have snow and cols in reletively long daylight hours...

Posted

Doesn't really feel Autumnal in any way here.

I'm not sure about other parts of the country but it's still very much summer down here.

We did have 10.1c last night and 8.3c yesterday morning, but that's not unusual for summer in my location.

Posted

Back to summer again today.

I get the feeling there's going to be a veritable mix of nice and crap days for the forseeable future. A lot depends on whether any frontal rain passes through overnight or during the day.

Posted

fully agree botty...

i feel im coming down off a mushy trip, i know i am, but every now and again another wave of euphoria comes over me. thats how i feel about august.

Very much know what you're talking about there! :lol:

It was nice today in the end - just needs to be 3c higher across the 24 hour period and it'd feel nicely summary so 14c min to 24c max instead of 11/21c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

these early mornings are mate... its cold, misty, dewy, with that musty spell in the air that you get in autumn. true the daytimes arent... but these past few early mornings definately are.

Edited by mushymanrob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I'm not sure about other parts of the country but it's still very much summer down here.

We did have 10.1c last night and 8.3c yesterday morning, but that's not unusual for summer in my location.

Not unusual here. We fell to 3C in August last year - now that is unusual.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Last year though the coldest night was 30th/31st, most of last August had relatively mild nights.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

these early mornings are mate... its cold, misty, dewy, with that musty spell in the air that you get in autumn. true the daytimes arent... but these past few early mornings definately are.

Certainly not Autumnal here, the mornings are not out of the ordinary for summer and even during the July there were a couple of mornings that felt quite fresh. Its not until the third week of September that I would expect things to feel autumnal either around here.

Posted

Certainly not Autumnal here, the mornings are not out of the ordinary for summer and even during the July there were a couple of mornings that felt quite fresh. Its not until the third week of September that I would expect things to feel autumnal either around here.

I agree, you can easily get such nights at any point of the summer. Cool does not necessarily equate to 'autumnal'. As I've said before, even in the warmest months it's fairly normal to get single figure mins- July 2006 for example had a couple of very cool nights mid-month. 

Perhaps people's perceptions are being skewed by the very warm July we've just had- the current spell does feel cooler than it would have done had we not had such a warm July.

• Like 1

Posted

So Mushymanrob, days in June that start off cold and dewy they are also Autumnal?.. Anyway not sure who it was, maybe it was you. who mentioned when Autumn officially starts and that's first day of September.The individual was adamant. How the weather works. Now they are neglecting its still summer in early August and calling it autumn..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

So Mushymanrob, days in June that start off cold and dewy they are also Autumnal?.. Anyway not sure who it was, maybe it was you. who mentioned when Autumn officially starts and that's first day of September.The individual was adamant. How the weather works. Now they are neglecting its still summer in early August and calling it autumn..

You could easily say - well this June morning feels more like spring / autumn.

What do you expect him to say?

Edited by Radiating Dendrite
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Not to change the tune?Its summer and it feels like "summer"  its not autumn or spring..

It is a figure of speech.

Just like on a warm february day you might say "it feels springlike".

8c outside does not feel like summer to me - maybe you spend summer somewhere else?

I think you are being a little pedantic.

• Like 2

Posted

No that's  my exact  opinons from a while back. But I was corrected and now they are correcting me on something they were incorrect on.. All in All I am correct Posted Image

Today like  previous numerous days.. Have been summer like. I hope this autumn weather continues if its  not "summer". Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

While there are official dates for the seasons there are always times when it clicks in your head. In 2011 it was the 25th August as under cold rain I decided that Autumn had arrived.

Posted

It's still summer no matter what the weather does until Sept 1st. However of course it can feel like spring or indeed autumn during summer (winter less likely however!) although I wouldn't call this week autumn feeling just yet - at least during the day anyway. The cool nights do feel more September like though but autumnal it does not yet quite feel (gladly).

Posted

The days are full-on summer to me, but as one who is always up at daft-o-clock the Autumnal feel of first light is very striking... the smells,condensation-laden breath,quality of light,valley mist  etc. What really struck me on this morning's ramblings in the garden was just how jaded the leaves have suddenly appeared, as if they're fed-up and now just want Autumn to hurry along and put them out of their misery. And in the bramble forest at the neglected bottom of our garden I saw but one solitary flower remaining....

• Like 2

Posted

As every flower dies - Laserguy becomes stronger!

Posted Image Posted Image

There's more than a grain of truth in that - and as we all know,flowers are for gurls anyway!

• Like 4

Posted

Today has turned out very nice. Almost at 24c so into warm territory as it should be. Plenty of sunshine too - happy with days like this for sure. Just need to loose the night chills and we're back to summer!

• Like 1

Posted

Reached 22.7c so far - a slightly above average max again after reaching 23.3c yesterday.

Last night got down to 9.7c, slightly below average but not at all unusual here. So all in all a pretty standard summer fare. 

One or two mins may have been closer to the September average min here, but they are hardly unusual in Summer so I don't describe them as being Autumnal. We can get dew and occasionally early fog (though not recently) all year round here and I'd have thought in most other places too.

The 13th July had a min of 8.7c here. That day gave the highest max of the year and for 7 years. The 12th did actually have a pretty chilly min for July at 6.1c. 

Late August 2010 had a min of 3.0C here and a couple bits of ground frost, now I'd call that Autumnal!

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Nice warm day today at 23C but really need to budge this cloud - when will we just get a sunny day!