Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Don't get me wrong from a rainfall point of view it has been good,june was mainly dry but I think I had 4 days that were sunny all dayand there was  a lot of cloudy days and I lost count of days that didn't warm up till 3pm and the last 2 weeks I don't think we have had a fully sunny day,maybe we just got spoilt with july

Completely agree. Dry, cloudy and cool doesn't quite cut it for me when it's summer. Equally, having the majority of nice days consecutively in one month isn't my idea of a good summer - warm, sunny spells in every month is ideal. In August, I always prefer high pressure during the first half when the sun is stronger and the days are longer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

mushy is quite rite there is due early mornings i noticed it on my fej and even the sun flour leaves and there is an autumnal smell in the air. Having limited vision i kind of notice it abit mor.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

mushy is quite rite there is due early mornings i noticed it on my fej and even the sun flour leaves and there is an autumnal smell in the air. Having limited vision i kind of notice it abit mor.

thanks

we lost those early morning dews, but they are back today, its very chilly and wet with dew, not so musty though as last week..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Ruddy freezing this morning!

10.1c outside low, skylights covered in condensation, she was cold in bed so struggled to sleep, house fell to (and still is) 18.2c and this morning its only 12.7c outside which is right on the 'do I need a fleece' borderline. As for peppers/tomatoes - they'll stop growing at these dreadful low temperatures.

Come on weather sort it out - far far far too cold for this time of year!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Ruddy freezing this morning!

10.1c outside low, skylights covered in condensation, she was cold in bed so struggled to sleep, house fell to (and still is) 18.2c and this morning its only 12.7c outside which is right on the 'do I need a fleece' borderline. As for peppers/tomatoes - they'll stop growing at these dreadful low temperatures.

Come on weather sort it out - far far far too cold for this time of year!

10c? You're gonna bloody hate this autumn thing.

11c is the average low here in August, are you not used to that in August Botty? Got down to 6c here a few days ago.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Thing is its summer not autumn yet! Cold lingered well into June so don't need it infesting August too!

I always find the cold in our house annoying as the place is terrible when its anything but nice & warm (i.e. at least 13-14c mins and >21-22c days). Like I say condensation on everything, temperatures falling ever so fast and then it struggles to warm up in anything but very sunny mornings (except when sun is too low).

Funny as soon as I set off for work it was fine - clear blue skies and feels very nice in the sun. I wrote the above at home and couldn't see said blue skies for condensation and everything in the house has a cold feel to it. The sun is now up too late to strike the house until after i've gone so it hasn't lost that early morning chill and with her moaning about being cold last night it makes for a grumpy combo!

Hopefully this clear sky lasts till at least noon then it should charge the place up with warmth. Then it can cloud up this afternoon to keep warmth in this evening. Min of 17c tonight and back to 22c tomorrow - much much better!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

I really think think botty should move house if its 18C inside and they are cold in bed! The Gambia could be a good option Posted Image

Fresher feel to things at the moment for sure but still short sleeved shirts are fine even first thing in the morning. I guess I dont feel the cold too much as I am used to doing/ being outdoors, on the bike, camping etc.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Thing is its summer not autumn yet! Cold lingered well into June so don't need it infesting August too!

Thing is, your expectations are set far too high. You have lived here ffor your entire life I presume - you must be aware by now that cool nights are the 'norm' and muggy nights are an oddity. This is especially true in June, where nights below 3C occur occasionally even in urban areas. I would relate if you were moaning about an unusual cloudy streak, or persistent rain, but that isn't the case - what you have been experience recently is pretty typical of a UK summer. What you want is a July 2006 revisited - but you cannot realistically expect that. You cannot be disappointed every year because you are not greeted with an entire summer of muggy nights. The same applies to those who do not get their desire for another December 2010 every winter - or lots of snow that lasts for months like in '63. You should just be happy that you had a well above average summer month with lots of sunshine and warm nights.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Cannot say I have noticed that here much recently, then again I am further east so that may have a large part to play.

(also on holiday, so not having the early mornings this week)

Posted

I think I just got used to the nice conditions in July and the freedom it brought. 

You're right - these temps are normal in summer from time to time - we do after all live in a cool weather country where summers are quite brief and generally cool.

We're going to leave our current house this autumn anyway as just pig sick of it being cold most of the time (plus need more room & light). This July was the first time we've had more than the odd day with it being warm enough the majority of the time since we lived there and I really enjoyed it. 

A number of our cold & dark loving forum members might consider renting our house when we leave!

Posted

Maybe you should consider an apartment with floor-to-ceiling glass windows!

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

Ah but I'd have no garden then! 

I think just a house that is properly insulated, isn't painted white, isn't surrounded in trees/tall houses, has windows in more directions than just south-east and one that isn't cut off from the west by a hill would do!

Imagine crouching on the south-eastern side of a rock with bushes all around you whilst wearing all white loose fitting clothes and you'll get the general picture... Suddenly warm, muggy evenings become very appealing!

Posted

Botts I think you have exactly the same condition as me but in reverse. I cannot remember the last time I felt anything but warm, frequently uncomfortably so, let alone anything remotely approaching the tepid/cool/cold end of the spectrum...

• Like 1

Posted

Botts has made it clear that he doesn't Mediterranean temperatures to be pleasant, just average summer warmth would be fine. 18C during the day and 10C at night is below average for summer, 22-23C during the day and 13-14C at night is - no question. 

Fortunately I don't have the temperature issue in my house as half the house windows face east and are warmed in the morning and the other side faces west so gets afternoon/evening sun. My problem is sun deficit. Summer without sun for me is like winter without frost. As such, I have really disliked this August since about the 3rd.

Posted

Yes 22-23c by day and 13-14c at night is absolutely fine although 24-25c/15-16c is better and avoids any kind of chill unless raining/windy.

Gladly its been very sunny this morning so house has been charged up to 21.8c. My issues come when the sun don't come out till noon which when all your windows face SE is simply too late to be of much use.

laserguy - you'd really enjoy my house and its dark/coldness. We even need the kitchen light on to cook when its sunny outside!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Well just goes to show we are all different when it comes to weather prefs, I found this summer to be a mainly dry and at times very warm one, and that appears to be continuing through August, though thankfully not as hot as July was, pleasent day temps of low to mid 20's is IMHO perfectly acceptable and the recent more comfortable night temps have been a relief.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I always find the cold in our house annoying as the place is terrible when its anything but nice & warm (i.e. at least 13-14c mins and >21-22c days). Like I say condensation on everything, temperatures falling ever so fast and then it struggles to warm up in anything but very sunny mornings (except when sun is too low).

Funny as soon as I set off for work it was fine - clear blue skies and feels very nice in the sun. I wrote the above at home and couldn't see said blue skies for condensation and everything in the house has a cold feel to it. The sun is now up too late to strike the house until after i've gone so it hasn't lost that early morning chill and with her moaning about being cold last night it makes for a grumpy combo!

Hopefully this clear sky lasts till at least noon then it should charge the place up with warmth. Then it can cloud up this afternoon to keep warmth in this evening. Min of 17c tonight and back to 22c tomorrow - much much better!

fully agree with you on this botty... true its still summer, but arnt these morning autumnal? ;) lol

Posted

I guess normality has returned.. east is best. I love seeing that slither of warmth going up the Vale of York.

Posted Image

It's mostly sunny here at 22.0C on the dot.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Can summer 2013 end like summer 2005 on a hot note?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVpmbgmt3XI

The most closest and frequent lightning strikes I have ever seen happend during that thunderstorm outbreak.

I still remember it vividly to this day.

Posted

Clouded up but it has nicely warmed up to 23.1c max - much better!

Posted

September 2005 was pretty much a perfect September - a warm and often sunny first third, a mild and changeable second third, and a cool unsettled final third. A nice natural progression into autumn. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think my favourite September in the last two decades was probably 2003 (though 1999 and 2005 were not far behind).  In Tyneside the first two-thirds of the month were mostly sunny and warm mixed with some cool nights, the unsettled interludes were mostly bright and showery with thunder on one day (6th if I remember rightly), and then an abrupt change happened in the last week, when we had a couple of cold snaps.  In some parts of the south the minima around the 24th/25th were the lowest since 1919.  If I could choose a past September to experience, though, it would probably be that of 1919, which had a notable heatwave midmonth followed by an even more notable cold snap with fairly widespread snowfalls even to low ground on the 20th.

Meanwhile, although August isn't going to be anything like as memorable as July, Summer 2013 continues to progress rather differently to most recent years- next week is looking likely to be predominantly dry and sunny in the south although sunshine amounts are open to question from the Midlands northwards.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Strangely it was as warm here today in the rain as it was over the weekend in the sun.Around 19c.

Needless to say it felt much warmer over the weekend

Hopefully we can get over 700 hours of sunshine for this summer. Certainly possible if current charts hold.

• Like 1