Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I prefer June as a summer month to August, for a few factors. - all IMO

After spring 17c in June feels warm, whereas after any summer heat it feels cool in August.

In August The nights start drawing in especially from mid month onwards.

In June there is the anticipation of summer, in August the opposite is true.

Also the lack of decent Augusts in recent years has heightened this feel.

Strangely sept onwards feels different and any warmth and sun then is a bonus,

couldnt agree more!

i dislike august, especially by mid month, because 'its over', shorter days, flowers/foliage worn and grubby, unlike the freshness of june and the daylengths... to me, mid august is like boxing day as a kid... (unless its a hot august...but thats rare, very rare these days).

• Like 2

Posted

What is over by mid month?   the summer? Posted Image  Not to bad a  week coming up after we get today over with... Very good summer this year Posted Image

heat prospects... yes we look like getting a few nice days, average, pleasant, summer days, but the outlook this morning is decidedly more towards autumn then summer with an expected string of mobile troughs crossing us.

so yes, the summer as such by mid month is over for the 'best' of the weather... but as ive said on many occassions, summer isnt about heat alone. daylength, sun hight, are noticably shorter. flowers are past their best, foliage is battered and worn, early mornings often have that autumnal mustiness about them. which is why i strongly agree with jackone that june is a better summer month then august.... and of course we havnt had a good august for many years now... 03 the last? (ok the southeast might have gared better but not the country as a whole).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

What?

couple of days of rain and cloud and summer is over?

Never!

We are just now getting Uk AVG summer after weeks (and weeks and weeks) of well above avg temps and dry weather.

Summer still has some legs in it yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

August (and Sept to a certain extent) certainly has a more 'all round' warm feeling compared to June and certainly May. It doesn't cool off too fast in the evening- humidity helping keep it feeling warmer for longer. Ordinary synoptics give very pleasant days - for example it's 23c today under mostly grey skies with breeze & some rain. Whereas in June it can very easily feel cold in less desirable weather patterns.

But totally agree - June is still much more preferable to August as you still have all of summer ahead, it's still getting lighter and everything is fresh and growing. You do however get to reap the fruits of your labour more in August!

May-July are the best months of the year for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

For the first time in 25 days we may not get above 20c we've maxed at 19.5°C so far and we're currently at 19.3°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Thats what i do like about August, particularly early on in the month. Look at todays chart and you wouldnt expect the south east to be mostly dry with Norwich seeing 26c. Warmth is so easy to achieve and it very rarely feels chilly in the evening here due to the higher SSTs than in June.

Posted

It certainly feels chilly here at the moment. These past couple of days have been horrible.

I hope the jet stream soon takes another hike northwards. It's always frustrating to see the near continent bask in heat whilst we lapse into autumn.

Another reason I prefer June, is that it seems western areas get the best of the weather in June, more especially in terms of settled and sunnier weather something which seems to reverse in August.

Possibly as quite often the Jet starts to edge back south.

It can be warmer in September and sunnier than in June.. June in the south west can be very wet.

It can be, but with the exception of last year which was dreadful, June has been better than average to good for most of the past 10 years. On long term average June is a much sunnier and drier month than Sept, and a little warmer.

September has sometimes felt better than August, but maybe that is due to lower expectation in September.

As said before an average of say 17c in June feels a lot warmer than 17c in August or indeed September.

Edited by J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

On average at my location, June is the second driest month of the year after February. If a month is going to be very wet, it's very rarely June. October and November are the wettest months here.

Posted

I wonder if this is going to be a one trick summer? One very good summer month but the other two nothing particularly special. 1999 is an example, 1901 is another.June 2013 wasn't actually too bad.

Get the feeling that we have had the main event for summer 2013, at least for the meteorological summer. It doesn't look as though August is going to be as good as July, although overall, it could be reasonable on its own.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

It doesn't even need to be 28c+ heat (although that'd be nice!) - just 23-25c with a decent amount of sun and no chilly nights. Chilly nights this week are really going to slow my peppers/chillies that have been doing really well so far this year (well mostly during July they grew, bit slow in June as that was cool/cloudy a lot).

Today is cool & grey - not suitable weather at all for early August!

Posted

Get the feeling that we have had the main event for summer 2013, at least for the meteorological summer. It doesn't look as though August is going to be as good as July, although overall, it could be reasonable on its own.

i dont think theres much doubt now that the main event for summer is over... theres absolutely no signes whatsoever of another widespread settled/sunny/warm spell .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

i dont think theres much doubt now that the main event for summer is over... theres absolutely no signes whatsoever of another widespread settled/sunny/warm spell .

The likelihood is that you are right but there are 6 to 7 weeks left yet where we can have weather almost as good ,another week or two of that together will be great.Will be a bit disappointing if we only get a few odd scattered days strewn apart in that time!

Posted

The July heatwave has boosted the economy apparently so the hot weather went much further than just satisfying our weather desires.

• Like 1

Posted

The rest of the month could be very average and i still would be very pleased with this summer. Im satisfied to have experienced 30c this year and a month with a CET of over 18c. There is no sign of low pressure dominating the charts so there will always be some good useable summer weather to be had. Perfect for the summer holidays.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I think it should be stated that nothing particularly special as you stated in your mid July post is actually average Summer conditions! So all in all, with a very reasonable June (esp in the West), a superb July and prospect of a reasonable August, overall this is very good!

Posted

We will see, was you one of them people that writ the summer off  4 days before we have the best heatwave in  6 previous summers? I think we will a have  lot of nice  days  in rest of August. Posted Image

Edited by no1-as-a-clue

Posted

When I talk about the main event, I mean the period where we get the best of the weather for that season. I think for this summer, we have had the best of the weather ie the hottest, sunniest and driest period. That does not mean we won't get some decent weather, it just won't be as hot nor sunny nor as dry as that period or as sustained as long. That's my opinion.

Summer 1995 main event was late July to mid to latter August.

Summer 1976 main event was late June to mid July.

Winter 2010-11 main event was late November to Christmas

Winter 1986-87 main event was mid January

Winter 1985-86 main event was late January-February.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Summer 1976 main event was late June to mid July.

To be honest, there really wasn't much separating the three summer months of 1976, except August lacked the very hot days of June and July.

• Like 1

Posted

The likelihood is that you are right but there are 6 to 7 weeks left yet where we can have weather almost as good ,another week or two of that together will be great.Will be a bit disappointing if we only get a few odd scattered days strewn apart in that time!

but theres only 3 weeks of summer left, not 6-7. and tbh things are winding down rapidly now... ive already mentioned daylength, sun height, flowers/foliage and birdsong. the trouble is that there is no signes whatsoever of anything evolving, the atlantic kicks in in 2 days time and is expected to last for some time.

We will see, was you one of them people that writ the summer off  4 days before we have the best heatwave in  6 previous summers? I think we will a have  lot of nice  days  in rest of August. Posted Image

yes...( but it wasnt 4 days, it was a month) based on the models there was a huge simularity to the past 6 rainy summers so mr pesimistic here was very doubtful of anything nice happening. thankfully my pesimism was misplaced. but we have moved away from any chances of anything settled, the models have insisted for 2 weeks now that the atlantic is expected to kick in...they were over progressive but its as good as certain now as we are just 48 hours from it happening.

once the atlantic systems kick in on a stiff jet stream aimed straight in our direction, itll most likely go nowhere fast. id be suprised if anything settled evolves by the end of august...a strong atlantic doesnt go anywhere fast.

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 3

Posted

One thing that feels very apparent from all this autumn talk - summer is an extremely brief thing in this country.The last weekend in June was the first warm one and it was the second week of July we finally shook off the cool NElys that have blown since January. Now barely a month later it was 11.6c overnight and the nights are 'drawing in'. Those that don't like warmth, 'hot' nights or summer in general really don't have a lot to complain about that's for sure - just a few weeks to deal with.

For me however - the house is chilly this morning and I'm now likely to loose a fair few pepper blooms to a cold night like that. And coming up - months & months & months of cool or cold conditions. Sure we'll catch some more warmth again yet but certainly high summer is passing now.

edit - Although didn't we say the same of winter on many early Feb days... then look at last March! Admittedly long days are gone by Sept but if we could have something of a summer reversal of last March that'd be sweet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

My house was at 21.4c this morning.

Coolest it has been in over a month and it felt good.

Not long before we start dipping under 20.0c - heating will probably be on by October.

• Like 2