Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Manmade Climate Change Discussion

Paul

Posted

The IPCC said this:

"The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) says methane is 86 times more damaging than CO2 over a 20-year period, and risks triggering a dangerous “feedback loop†for global warming."

In the short term the process of 'Fracking' has much higher methane omissions than other forms of fossil fuels. I believe the IPCC were saying that although in the longer term CH4 omissions would drop significantly, the initial rise could trigger a runaway effect. I am sure there is a report somewhere on that?

Erm, well I guess it comes down to how 'leaky' fracking is. I'm no fan of it, and it's clear a unquantified some does escape before being used.

Edit:oopss, missed knockers post, details there.

Edited by Devonian

Posted

Warming Climate May Spread Drying to a Third of Earth, Says Study

Increasing heat is expected to extend dry conditions to far more farmland and cities by the end of the century than changes in rainfall alone, says a new study. Much of the concern about future drought under global warming has focused on rainfall projections, but higher evaporation rates may also play an important role as warmer temperatures wring more moisture from the soil, even in some places where rainfall is forecasted to increase, say the researchers.

http://www.earth.columbia.edu/articles/view/3164

Posted

NSIDC, NASA Say Arctic Melt Season Lengthening, Ocean Rapidly Warming

The length of the melt season for Arctic sea ice is growing by several days each decade, and an earlier start to the melt season is allowing the Arctic Ocean to absorb enough additional solar radiation in some places to melt as much as four feet of the Arctic ice cap’s thickness, according to a new study by National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) and NASA researchers.

Arctic sea ice has been in sharp decline during the last four decades. The sea ice cover is shrinking and thinning, making scientists think an ice-free Arctic Ocean during the summer might be reached this century. The seven lowest September sea ice extents in the satellite record have all occurred in the past seven years.

http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/nsidc-nasa-say-arctic-melt-season-lengthening-ocean-rapidly-warming/#.Uznbk6JoqpB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Wattsy has admitted to Fox News that his widely read blog is nothing more than a hoax to show just how gullible the U.S. public are.

He confirmed that his his meteorology training leaves him fully convinced of both the scale of impact, and the future threats from AGW.  

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The impacts of global warming are likely to be "severe, pervasive and irreversible", a major report by the UN has warned.

Scientists and officials meeting in Japan say the document is the most comprehensive assessment to date of the impacts of climate change on the world.

Some impacts of climate change include a higher risk of flooding and changes to crop yields and water availability.

Humans may be able to adapt to some of these changes, but only within limits. 

Members of the UN's climate panel say it provides overwhelming evidence of the scale of these effects.

Continue reading the main story “Start Quote

Nobody on this planet is going to be untouched by the impacts of climate changeâ€

Rajendra PachauriChairman, IPCC

Our health, homes, food and safety are all likely to be threatened by rising temperatures, the summary says.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I have an idea it's not this summary but this, Could be wrong of course.

More Bad News For Fracking: IPCC Warns Methane Traps Much More Heat Than We Thought

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reports that methane (CH4) is far more potent a greenhouse gas than we had previously realized.

This matters to the fracking debate because methane leaks throughout the lifecycle of unconventional gas. Natural gas is, after all, mostly methane (CH4). 

We learned last month that the best fracked wells appear to have low emissions of methane, but that study likely missed the high-emitting wells that result in the vast majority of methane leakage. Back in August, a NOAA-led study measured a stunning 6% to 12% methane leakage over one of the country’s largest gas fields — which would gut the climate benefits of switching from coal to gas.

We’ve known for a long time that methane is a far more potent greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide (CO2), which is released when any hydrocarbon, like natural gas, is burned.

But the IPCC’s latest report, released Monday (big PDF here), reports that methane is 34 times stronger a heat-trapping gas than CO2 over a 100-year time scale, so its global-warming potential (GWP) is 34. That is a nearly 40% increase from the IPCC’s previous estimate of 25.

Cheers knocker. 

The IPCC said this:

"The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) says methane is 86 times more damaging than CO2 over a 20-year period, and risks triggering a dangerous “feedback loop†for global warming."

In the short term the process of 'Fracking' has much higher methane omissions than other forms of fossil fuels. I believe the IPCC were saying that although in the longer term CH4 omissions would drop significantly, the initial rise could trigger a runaway effect. I am sure there is a report somewhere on that?

I think something to remember is that the IPCC reports are so large, that they take several years to put together. So that bit about methane being more potent than previously thought, may have been reported before. That's one of its biggest problems, much of what is included in the report is slightly out of date by the time it's published, which is why a growing group are pushing toward smaller more regular reports.

The report is here, and explains the chances of a abrupt and irreversible changes in climate.

Edited by BornFromTheVoid
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

I see we have a few April 1 posts this morning!!!

Posted

Wattsy has admitted to Fox News that his widely read blog is nothing more than a hoax to show just how gullible the U.S. public are.

He confirmed that his his meteorology training leaves him fully convinced of both the scale of impact, and the future threats from AGW.  

Nearly put my foot in it here as I had no idea of the date as usual. But fear not AW won't let's down. It's getting even nuttier.

"Heeeelp! They are going to throw me in jail!" Or weird denier weirdness from Roger E. Sowell, Esq. at WUWT

Must print a comment from one of the loony camp followers.

Roger, thank you very much for your excellent article.

I am looking forward to your response.Here we have a bunch of crazies destroying Western civilization by raping science and bribing politicians, NGO’s and scientists while they completely wreck our economies leaving written and physical evidence all over the place.I know this question is in the same category as †Could a lawyer have stopped the Nazi’s from starting WWII and root out the Jews†but still.The practices of the totally corrupted UN is going to turn very ugly soon if we don’t undertake something more structural than trying to establish a dialogue with the warmists, an initiative I gave up years ago.In fact we already have numerous human deaths as a direct result from the US and EU bio fuel mandate which triggered the Arab Spring Revolution started as food protests and energy poverty is already killing numerous people, even in the Western nations.I have come to the conclusion that we have arrived in a mortal struggle for the survival of our western civilization and thought it was better to check for legal options before we blow up the world because that’s where we’re heading if these idiots continue to push their insane plans.Now this would be a productive move that would bring us forward instead of defending our views with our back against the wall.At the same time I would like to ask you if there is a case to take on the UN and all in support for abuse of science and scare mongering promoting punishing caps, taxes and restrictions of fossil fuel use and social behavior manipulations to execute their UN Agenda 21 which in principle is a centralist take over (coup) of the entire world, it’s economies, it’s financial system, it’s resources, you name it.

http://blog.hotwhopper.com/2014/04/heeeelp-they-are-going-to-throw-me-in.html

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

Scientists Focus on Polar Waters As Threat of Acidification Grows

A sophisticated and challenging experiment in Antarctica is the latest effort to study ocean acidification in the polar regions, where frigid waters are expected to feel most acutely the ecological impacts of acidic conditions not seen in millions of years.

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/scientists_focus_on_polar_waters_as_threat_of_acidification_grows/2752/

Edited by knocker

Posted

The world is not ready for climate change, which poses a number of serious risks, says the planet’s leading body of climate scientists.

On Monday morning in Yokohama, Japan, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) released a major report on the impacts of climate change, with the goal of spurring world leaders to act more decisively to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The report warns of serious impacts from changing climate on agriculture and human civilization and argues that governments are ill prepared for its effects.

The hundreds of scientists who wrote the report argue that world leaders have only a few years left to reduce carbon emissions enough to avoid catastrophic warming. At the same time, governments must step up efforts to protect vulnerable communities from increased natural hazards associated with climate change.

"Observed impacts of climate change are widespread and consequential," the scientists of the IPCC write in the report. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/03/140329-ipcc-report-global-warming-climate-change-science/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=link_tw20140401news-climcha&utm_campaign=Content&sf2409954=1

Posted

There are a number of letters in the Times today on this subject.

We need open discussion on climate change

Frankly they all display a  woeful ignorance on the subject. I'm reminded of the letter some wag wrote whilst the Battle of Britain raged complaining of the shortage of Lychees in London.

Just one example before I consign the page to the bin.

Sir, In seeking to gag climate change sceptics, the chairman of the Commons Science and Technology Committee is inviting ridicule.

Since when have arguments been won by stifling debate? To attack the BBC for airing Lord Lawson’s view is crass. The BBC is a routine proselytiser for the “warmists†and largely ignores those who question its orthodoxy. Perhaps Mr Miller has difficulty explaining why global temperatures have not shifted in the past 16 years while CO2 levels have rocketed, and why near-record levels of ice persist in the Antarctic.

Let’s have answers, not gags.

Peter Pallot

London, W6

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/letters/article4053542.ece

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
Impacts of Climate Change – Part 2 of the new IPCC Report has been approved -

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

There are a number of letters in the Times today on this subject.

We need open discussion on climate change

Frankly they all display a  woeful ignorance on the subject. I'm reminded of the letter some wag wrote whilst the Battle of Britain raged complaining of the shortage of Lychees in London.

Just one example before I consign the page to the bin.

Sir, In seeking to gag climate change sceptics, the chairman of the Commons Science and Technology Committee is inviting ridicule.

Since when have arguments been won by stifling debate? To attack the BBC for airing Lord Lawson’s view is crass. The BBC is a routine proselytiser for the “warmists†and largely ignores those who question its orthodoxy. Perhaps Mr Miller has difficulty explaining why global temperatures have not shifted in the past 16 years while CO2 levels have rocketed, and why near-record levels of ice persist in the Antarctic.

Let’s have answers, not gags.

Peter Pallot

London, W6

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/letters/article4053542.ece

There's an old adage, knocker: if you've nothing worth saying, it's best you don't bother...If only the likes of 'Lord' Monckton could understand?

Posted

• Like 4

Posted

Climate policy: Streamline IPCC reports

As the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change asks how its assessment process should evolve, Dave Griggs argues for decadal updates and eased workloads.

http://www.nature.com/news/climate-policy-streamline-ipcc-reports-1.14990

Edited by knocker

Posted

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/76448-scepticism-of-man-made-climate-change/page-60#entry2954282

World climate doing fine http://t.co/nrHzgwIyML

Ah the NIPCC

Heartland Institute's NIPCC science deniers make startling finds: "CO2 is plant food" and "it's the sun"

http://blog.hotwhopper.com/2013/09/heartland-institutes-nipcc-science.html

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Global sea ice highest since 1982 so no sign of Global Warming http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/timeseries.global.anom.1979-2008Posted Image

Then why do C.T. show this ;

Posted Image

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/76448-scepticism-of-man-made-climate-change/page-60#entry2954282

What a truly wonderful example of end point bias. Thanks Keith!

Posted

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/76448-scepticism-of-man-made-climate-change/page-60#entry2954440

You're developing into a fine advert for rock solid AGW 'scepticism' Keith but I suggest (knowing you wont Posted Image ) you read section 4.3 of this:

http://www.climatechange2013.org/images/report/WG1AR5_Chapter04_FINAL.pdf

• Like 1