Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - 14th June 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Come to Plymouth storm.... you know you wannaPosted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

That's an interesting storm in the channel, also sky quite grey from mid level cloud down to the south, but just noticed a W-E line of Ac cas towers have now formed, interesting.

Interesting that you can hear it from Plymouth now, wonder if it will get close enough to here. I remember seeing distant flashes and rumbles from storms in the middle of the channel one evening at the end of April 2011!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

That's an interesting storm in the channel, also sky quite grey from mid level cloud down to the south, but just noticed a W-E line of Ac cas towers have now formed, interesting.

Interesting that you can hear it from Plymouth now, wonder if it will get close enough to here. I remember seeing distant flashes and rumbles from storms in the middle of the channel one evening at the end of April 2011!

Certainly if it stays alive and when the skys go dark and reaches land everywhere south of Bristol may see flashes

Edited by interestingweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Hi guys, i dont know as much about the storm side of things but was just wondering with such high amounts of cape and LI on wednesday - what is the chances of any storms going Supercellular?

Mid level convection kicking of nicely around here already - will be posting on twitter @ukstormlover if i see any decent action.

Temp 18.2

I take it portsdown hill maybe busy tonight... Micks monster burger bar (if its still going) will be busy  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Has anyone noticed that the storm is moving slightly westwards?

Yes you would expect that as the low centre is just to the north of Spain, and as winds move anticlockwise, the wind near the Channel will have an easterly component pushing the storms slightly westwards.

post-17320-0-13824200-1371494206_thumb.p

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Could it be my very vivid imagination, or is it possible i just heard a couple of distant rumbles. Hmmm, could've been a plane of course.........or tinitus. :D

âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Could it be my very vivid imagination, or is it possible i just heard a couple of distant rumbles. Hmmm, could've been a plane of course.........or tinitus. Posted Image

âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡âš¡

I've heard of people hearing voices but this must be new lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

I've heard of people hearing voices but this must be new lol

I've heard York Minster bells before today...........200+ miles away. :D In my head of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Looks to me that the 12z runs have dashed hopes for further N. Looks like a stronger ridge across the middle of the country ahead of the LP than was previously shown.

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Yes you would expect that as the low centre is just to the north of Spain, and as winds move anticlockwise, the wind near the Channel will have an easterly component pushing the storms slightly westwards.

as mentioned earlier, the surface winds are actually irrelevant, check the modelled 500hpa wind speeds and directions, it's the winds at the 500hpa boundary that better dictate the direction of storm travel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

There she goes again! That storm is putting out sferics again at a fairly good rate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

A cell possibly trying to disconnect to the main band of rain; maybe this could intensify?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Mugginess has definitely increased and I have ACcas or whatever you call it, in the skies above Newbury. Temp 17.4c, 71% humidity meaning a DP of 12.1c. I am just hoping the milky skies don't diminish my chances of getting a storm. Looking good for Devon and Cornwall, hell yes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

as mentioned earlier, the surface winds are actually irrelevant, check the modelled 500hpa wind speeds and directions, it's the winds at the 500hpa boundary that better dictate the direction of storm travel

Oh sorry my bad, thanks for correcting me :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

thunder heard in Brixham, from those cells to the south of st mary's bay, as my sister reports..........

Edited by ajpoolshark