Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot and settled spell discussion and temperature reports July 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

25c the last 2 days in Falmouth, Kernow. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Another belter of a run this morning - better than the 18z in fact!

Friday

Posted Image

Saturday

Posted Image

Sunday

Posted Image

Monday

Posted Image

Tuesday

Posted Image

Wednesday

Posted Image

Thursday

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Fantastic looking runs with great synoptics. Just hoping we (and the rest of us poor buggers in the east) now start getting what everyone else has been getting heat wise!

My max figures:

Thu: 23.9c

Fri: 22.7c

Sat: 25.3c

Sun: 27.1c

Mon: 21.6c

Tue: 25.3c

Wed: 20.7c

So (contrary to my earlier figures which I did from memory):

>25c 3 days (Sat,Sun,Tue)

>27c 1 day (Sun)

Nice & warm yes - but not really 'heatwave' category here.

Posted

What's it like there this morning Bottesford? Just thinking about the cricket at Trent Bridge!

Edited by Scorcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Currently low cloud trying to thin with odd glimmer of sun. 14.6c so feeling chilly after 13.5c min (gladly no 11c as predicted!).

Working from home today and the damn place has fallen back into the teens again. Hopefully this fleeting sun will warm it up a bit.

Posted

Cloudy here too but it looks like it could be departing stage right later today leaving us with a few more nice days.

Posted

13c min is average here I believe. It isn't unusual but pepper plants don't like it below 15c - they just drop flowers & hardly fruit if at all. Keeping my eye on it this year and heating the greenhouse on chilly nights.

This spell here:

>25c - 4 days (Fri, Sat, Sun, Tues)

>27c - 1 day (Sun 27.1c)

Fair play, I just thought it would be expected at some point even in a good summer but that wouldn't matter if you have a greenhouse or somewhere to keep then.

Max's here:

Thu: 22.9c

Fri 22.3c

Sat: 22.2c

Sun 27.9c

Mon: 28.3c

Tue: 27.8cWed: 27.2c

Not bad for here that often gets onshore/sea breezes from the south coast in very warm spells

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

This is for the posters who are asking about the north-south split term in model discussion such as Backtrack has.

The term N/S split can confuse i agree.

In all honesty in this pattern with the AH ridging and then easing back it is a moveable boundary.

It may  be only areas of NW Scotland-say north of the great glen and the N.Isles see cloud and rain or the more unsettled regime could apply further south to include say Scotland,N.ireland and even the North of England near the borders eg.lakes and Northumberland.

It really depends on the track of the lows passing across to the north and how far into the UK the attendant frontal systems get.

In a medium term assessment of the models when looking at means and anomalies this fine detail cannot be accurately determined -at least until usually within 2-3 days of the expected event.

In these instances i use the general term to indicate that the further north in the UK you are the more unsettled the outlook.

I tend to think when saying the south looks settled i am including much of England and Wales apart from the Lakes/Cumbrian area where Atlantic westerlies over the top of a ridging high can spread in hill and coastal fog/drizzle at times.

As i say the boundaries will vary depending on the surface details-sometimes there is a transistional area in between too where the cloud and breeze gradually increases as you go further north until you find the rain.

Sorry there's no approved definition as far i know we just have to take this from whatever charts we are viewing at the time.

Top post, thanks very much Phil, really cleared that up for me! :)

Posted

Just noticed the first heat health watch has been issued by the Met Office: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/

BBC only gives us 26c tmw & 27c Sat - doesn't seem like 'heatwave' conditions to me? Especially after two cooler days before it (yesterday/today).

Sky finally cleared here - glorious albeit not that warm at only 17.3c so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

That cold front has sure made it feel much nicer and fresher. It's currently 19C, probably will get up to 24-25C today, but wow, that was a refreshing walk. Very nice indeed with sky a very deep blue, bliss!

Posted

Phil. Thanks for clarification on the N/S/E/W debate !! saw Backtracks question in the MO thread and have often asked myself the same.

Suffice to say IMBY we are often stuck in no mans land here with this kind of set up. The rain seems to start in the Lakes as you say whilst the sun(generally) starts around the Cheshire area. We normally reside under cloudy skies, the further north the darker the sky !

This current spell has been a refreshing change, nice warm (not hot) temps, and mostly sunny days. Yesterday whilst cloudy in Cumbria almost all day, further South it was a mainly sunny day. There are local variations in the weather throughout the year, even on our small island.

Runs from the forecast models overnight seem to suggest a continuation for many of the dry settled spell. Whether here we remain in the sunny area remains to be seen but I am more than happy with the output at the moment. 

Posted

BBC only gives us 26c tmw & 27c Sat - doesn't seem like 'heatwave' conditions to me? Especially after two cooler days before it (yesterday/today).

Sky finally cleared here - glorious albeit not that warm at only 17.3c so far.

Yeah I'm not sure it will be widespread, and would have thought mainly further south myself. I have seen the forecasts going for 28's and a few 29's and they usually are under by a degree or two, so some places should reach 30c I guess but wouldn't have expected it 2 days running in many areas like Nottingham.

Much cooler here today, it reached 17.9c at 11:43 but it has dropped back to 16.8c now with a sea breeze.. meant to warm up but so far a below average day has sprung up at least for this time of the day. completely blue skies again though and I don't mind having a blip like this in the very warm weather.

Posted

Still only 18.8c here - but clear skies. 

I don't mind a cooler blip if its a sunny blip - unlike yesterday!

Posted

BBC only gives us 26c tmw & 27c Sat - doesn't seem like 'heatwave' conditions to me? .

i guess you have to come further South for the big numbers according to GFS:

post-6667-0-86318500-1373529233_thumb.gi

Posted

Todays hotspots at 1pm

Castlederg 25.9C

Thomastown 25.3C

St Angelo 24.7C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Another mostly sunny day today, a little cooler today but currently 20.7C which doesn't feel too cold in the July sun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Saturday looks like 30c could be reached in a number of spots. Much warmer up here too.

Posted Image

Posted

24.5°C out there right now and very pleasant 

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

Anyone know why these watches only ever cover England?

Thought I heard one here on Tuesday ..in sizzling N.I.

Posted

20.4c max so far - same as yesterday although today feels better without the slate grey skies. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

My shed has now hit 21.8oC