Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot and settled spell discussion and temperature reports July 2013

Posted

In my opinion 30C+ is excessive unless you're at the beach or by the pool. It's not comfortable to work or sleep in, especially when you work outdoors and burn a lot of calories like me.

Today was perfect, low 20's, low humidity and a slight cooling breeze. Beautiful. If i could i would bank today's conditions for the next 6 weeks. I, for one, don't relish the prospect of a heat wave that brings conditions that resembles the Amazon rainforest. Sorry, not my cup of tea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Phew.. a bit hot. Both our local weather and the national weather mentioned 30C for N England on Friday.

Posted Image

Posted

Are they town or city centre readings or for more rural areas?Either way, 32C looking more likely than ever so far this season - in the sun it'll be nearer 38C perhaps higher in some spots.

I think 30-32c is possible but 38 ??? I don't think so !!

Excellent and informative post from Roger j Smith by the way, many thanks for that. Roger

I think 30-32c is possible but 38 ??? I don't think so !! Excellent and informative post from Roger j Smith by the way, many thanks for that. Roger

Indeed, considering we always quote shade temps or as near as damn it - in the sun, things are usually more than a few degrees higher.It'll be a good week end to experience say 40+ heat - park vehicle directly in sun, leave for bit, then upon return, check interior temps :)

Posted

Indeed, considering we always quote shade temps or as near as damn it - in the sun, things are usually more than a few degrees higher.

It'll be a good week end to experience say 40+ heat - park vehicle directly in sun, leave for bit, then upon return, check interior temps Posted Image

Lol, I thought of doing that, getting a thermometer and putting it in the shade in my car then using it as a reference point to see what that type of heat would feel like if it were to occur outside.. I'm only slightly crazy.

Temp down to 9.1c here now. Odd to think the temps 5c higher at the 850hpa level about 1,500m elevation. Surely it has to stop falling at this rate soon unless it wants to get close to my record July low.. only 4.2c to go to reach it. That would be very crazy in this set up Posted Image

It does seem to have suddenly leveled off just recently though. Edit: or maybe not, 8.7c now

As RJS says on the last page I think it's more than just a sea breeze, but the cooler airmass brought in down here last night not being able to warm over the channel through the day (unlike over land with North Devon reaching 24C), then brought onshore through the day via a S/SSW sea breeze.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Oh dear another hot day forecast luckily cool start so getting the heat out now.

Morning forecast going for a cool down on Sunday while GFS suggests this won't get a far south as they think.

Posted

Yesterday was about perfect here in Reigate... Cool start and top temp of 24c... Cloudless blue skies as well...

With two pre school children, I really don't want it any hotter as they get hotter and hotter and more sullen! If temps get above 28c or so, then the nights are often intolerable!

No humidity please!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

In my opinion 30C+ is excessive unless you're at the beach or by the pool. It's not comfortable to work or sleep in, especially when you work outdoors and burn a lot of calories like me.Today was perfect, low 20's, low humidity and a slight cooling breeze. Beautiful. If i could i would bank today's conditions for the next 6 weeks. I, for one, don't relish the prospect of a heat wave that brings conditions that resembles the Amazon rainforest. Sorry, not my cup of tea.

-10c was 'excessive' in Dec 2010 especially when you cycle to work in it each day like me - but still it was interesting & to be enjoyed as its an extreme....

12.9c overnight so not exactly a warm night. Starting with low cloud thinning but looking at the sat pics looks like you lucky buggers in the south are getting the finest North Sea junk to start your day whilst the usual sufferers (here & NE England) are clearing!

16c so far so 11c to gain to hit todays predictions - will we make it this time?

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

-10c was 'excessive' in Dec 2010 especially when you cycle to work in it each day like me - but still it was interesting & to be enjoyed as its an extreme....

12.9c overnight so not exactly a warm night. Starting with low cloud thinning but looking at the sat pics looks like you lucky buggers in the south are getting the finest North Sea junk to start your day whilst the usual sufferers (here & NE England) are clearing!

16c so far so 11c to gain to hit todays predictions - will we make it this time?

Are the skies clear enough in Nottingham to encourage good batting conditions, Bot?

Posted

30°C today in the North or tomorrow in the South, it has to be :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Are the skies clear enough in Nottingham to encourage good batting conditions, Bot?

I think this cloud is well on the way out with temps up 1c in the 20 mins it took to get to work and the sun shining - albeit through haze. 30-60 mins it'll be clear I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The Triangle still has plenty of cloud...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The Triangle still has plenty of cloud...

Tomorrow is shaping up to be a cracker in the "triangle" Sunday looks cloudy across the east whilst the cold front continues to move away then Monday the sunshine should return with cloud-less sky. 24c should be hit in Great Yarmouth tomorrow whilst inland places like Norwich are likely to hit 26c

Posted

All clear here now - currently 20.1c rising fast. Can see a hot day is inbound!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Check out the week ahead forecast from Weatheronline

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/reports?LANG=en&MENU=weekahead&DAY=20130712

Up to 18.7c here which is already higher than the max of the last 2 days. I fancy something in the region of 23c today.

Posted

A pretty decent diurnal range, min of 11.7c, already 24.6. 

Forecast 29/30.c 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

OK must admit I am not looking forward to tomrrows extreme heat, but if (the the BBC keep saying) it sparks a cooling storm, that may be a good consession(sp?)

Posted

Sky certainly not blue in colour today - very hazy indeed thus humid. 

Temps still rising fast and much faster than any other day since Sunday - currently 24.5c so should get our 4th >25c day of the year today. Hopefully our second >27c day too!

A very warm night ahead with mins of 18c predicted. We'll be fine in my place- at last a use for its coolness!

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

6th > 25c this week ..  and a bank holiday to celebrate  .. N I rocks (are hot !)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Hopeful of my first 30c temp of the year IMBY tomorrow and even more hopeful that I might get lucky and catch an isolated thunderstorm.

Posted

Frustratingly hazy here, we seem to have done consistently well temperature wise without being near the top of the rankings at any point. Still 25C with the haze but if anything it's got heavier in the past hour.

Posted

Got heavier here too but doesn't seem to be slowing the temperature rise at all. The NEly breeze that we've finally lost is the usual culprit for that.