Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot and settled spell discussion and temperature reports July 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Anything below 20C and I keep my windows shut.. I have to agree with Bottlesford here it is too cool below that temperature. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Yeah, its been humid up here, one day here had a temperature of 26C with a dew of 20C, yesterday, typically values were temps of 27-28C and dews of 17-18C. Humidity levels almost always above 50%.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Sunny and Warm, more cloud than recent days but still nice. Temp 25.2°C, 55%RH, Dew P 16°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

It has been a close day here but the temps have remained in the 19-20oC zone, and still cloudy.

Posted

a pathetic 18c, with a nagging easterly wind, the cloud was forecast, but yet again  it's another case of temps being overcooked from the GFS and bbc site, thats unless the temp can jump up to 22c in the next couple of hours or so, which is unlikely 

newbies take note these 500mb charts can be next to useless at times, this chart look lovely doesn't it

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2013071006/gfs-0-6.png?6

Edited by Tony27

Posted

Hot spots at 3pm

Solent 27.1C

Exeter 27.0C

Woodvale 27.0C

Yeovilton 27.0C

Posted

a pathetic 18c, with a nagging easterly wind, the cloud was forecast, but yet again  it's another case of temps being overcooked from the GFS and bbc site, thats unless the temp can jump up to 22c in the next couple of hours or so, which is unlikely 

newbies take note these 500mb charts can be next to useless at times, this chart look lovely doesn't it

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2013071006/gfs-0-6.png?6

But that is just a one chart, what about the uppers? and the wind direction and cloud cover?

just saying, as it is one part of a complex set of variables.

Edited by Jax

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Sunny intervals and feeling rather hot and stuffy at 24.3C.

Posted

But that is just a one chart, what about the uppers? and the wind direction and cloud cover?

just saying, as it is one part of a complex set of variables.

true, but that chart is what most on here look at and post, i don't see cloud charts being posted, and as i said a newbie looking at that chart would assume sunshine. even most on here assumed sunshine a few days ago until they saw the fax charts and saw that a weak front was heading for us, because yesterday the synoptics looked similar and it was wall to wall sunshine for most places, fax charts only go out to T120 but i think we should look at them more often

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

20.4c max here so exactly as predicted - no sign of any sun. Feels very gloomy indeed so worse than Monday (although temperatures are quite similar).

Now fallen to 19.5c so a below average day today.

BBC has it sunny 21c tomorrow  - down a little on recent predictions but understandable with NEly winds in charge but hopefully sun does come out.

Wonder if I can get a >27c out of this spell come Friday/Saturday... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I think this would roughly represent what the weather will be like beyond Sunday

Green = Cooler, prone to showers/longer spells of rain

Orange = Warm & mostly settled

Red = Very warm & mostly settled.

post-8895-0-93246100-1373467332_thumb.pn

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

good, its about time i saw hotter weather than the north, just a shame i will be working as yet again the best weather comes at the weekend, its a myth when people say weekends are always rubbish

Posted

I think this would roughly represent what the weather will be like beyond Sunday

Green = Cooler, prone to showers/longer spells of rain

Orange = Warm & mostly settled

Red = Very warm & mostly settled.

Posted Imageuk.png

Im so close to the RED, :D, anyway lots more cloud now not used to seeing this much cloud, its still lovely and warm out tho :). temp 25.0°C, RH 58%, Dew P 16°C

Posted

true, but that chart is what most on here look at and post, i don't see cloud charts being posted, and as i said a newbie looking at that chart would assume sunshine. even most on here assumed sunshine a few days ago until they saw the fax charts and saw that a weak front was heading for us, because yesterday the synoptics looked similar and it was wall to wall sunshine for most places, fax charts only go out to T120 but i think we should look at them more often

Maybe because if like me you assume its a cloudy chart for some parts of the UK(which for the east it is, warm uppers and an NE'ly airflow from the sea tends to lead to low cloud) in the model thread you get accused of being negative and get sarcastic comments from one particular member who NEVER posts anything on topic himself in the model thread. 

The synoptics yesterday was slightly different as the day started with the high slap bang over us but the gradually moved westwards during the day(because the high was more or less over us, eastern areas recorded hot temps) and by late afternoon around here we got an on shore breeze but all the low cloud was still in Northern Scotland so it takes time for it head southwards hence sometimes from my experience, you get one clear sunny day and you see on the sat images the low cloud in the North Sea and during the evening/night to cloud rolls in and the next day tends to be cloudy and cool and this what happened this time.

The low cloud should burn off more readily tomorrow hopefully and for Friday and Saturday low cloud should be less of an issue although cloud amounts looks like they will increase for Scotland and Northern Ireland in particular during the weekend. 

Posted

OK, granted you did mention newbie in there, but the forecast was for midweek to be cooler and cloudier from what I saw of the output.  But yes you can take one chart and expect a win and get a fail from it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

This cooler, cloudier spell was predicted right from last weekend so it isn't _quite_ so annoying.

Trouble with low cloud is it can often form and roll in unexpectedly totally changing forecasts in a matter of hours. Monday was a prime example of this. Forecasts were still 24-25c and sunny Monday morning yet it clouded up a lot and we got 21c max.

This does cause quite some frustration as frequently these situations arise on the back of what could be top notch weather and in fact only a matter of miles away it IS top notch weather! 

I make no secret of it winding me right up :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny

Another lovely sunny day here, although a little windier than previous days, which was welcome! Temperature currently 25.0C

Posted

This cooler, cloudier spell was predicted right from last weekend so it isn't _quite_ so annoying.

Trouble with low cloud is it can often form and roll in unexpectedly totally changing forecasts in a matter of hours. Monday was a prime example of this. Forecasts were still 24-25c and sunny Monday morning yet it clouded up a lot and we got 21c max.

This does cause quite some frustration as frequently these situations arise on the back of what could be top notch weather and in fact only a matter of miles away it IS top notch weather! 

I make no secret of it winding me right up Posted Image

i know but we found that out via bbc graphics, fax charts etc, if we only looked at the 500mb charts we would say where the hell has all this cloud come from, so why do we bother looking at the 500mb charts? apart from making us happy by seeing all those nice fancy red colours, which in truth is deceptive on days like monday and today

plus it is windier than the 500mb charts look too

Edited by Tony27

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A cloudy day so far, giving much better conditions for working on a roof! The last 3 "working" days have been unbearable, and spent most of my weekend indoors watching the tennis.

Current temp 17.9c

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

26C and bright sunshine .. but a light breeze making life a little more bearable ...

Posted

26C and bright sunshine .. but a light breeze making life a little more bearable ...

Same here in Benny Hill - although I won't be in it for many more minutes.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Dull and humid today. Still better than the horrible heat of yesterday though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

On into the new week cooler air will gradually slip southwards. Tuesday on the GFS is shown to have maxima in the mid teens in Scotland but still well into the low to mid 20s for the Midlands south.

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I'd say maximums here would be around (based on GFS):

Thu 24CFri 30CSat 27CSun 26CMon 26CTue 23C

Wed 25C

Each run extends the warm spell.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Still sunny for the most part today with a more humid feel. So I'm ticking today off as another winner. Posted Image

I just hope I'm on the right side of that divide next week.