Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 22nd July 2013 onwards

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Thunder has stopped as far as I can tell. Rain is still heavy ish though. Just lost a few slates off the roof! Didnt half jump outta my skin when that landed on patio.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Don't storms usually die off about midday then kick off again later? Seems to have been a theme through stormy events of these last years

Posted

Amazing to be almost stuck in the middle of all of this and we have not yet even had a single drop of rain! Crazy stuff.

Same here, we have the storm shield set to max obviously!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Don't storms usually die off about midday then kick off again later? Seems to have been a theme through stormy events of these last years

I remember reading an article about this, in general, thunder tends to be not so prevalent during the late morning/noon period.

Just waved my daughter off to work and can see the anvil responsible for the W/SW London thunder, to NW here in Chislehurst.

Poor lass is coming down with a cold and was actually shivering last night, even with a duvet on. Posted Image

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Thunder here in the Triange!!!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted

was up for an hour between 2 and 3 this morning, to the west of cambridge, it was incredible. I took a video which doesn't really do it justice (typical timing), but the lightning and thunder was over my house for ages. Hoping for some daylight repeats as this squall line makes its way east and north. Forecast seems to suggest that it will, or that if it doesn't, others will follow in its place for this afternoon and tonight. Here's hoping. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

I think I'm unconsciously Jesus, that line of storms that was barrelling towards north west london area parted like the Sea of Galilee! before it was throwing out visible Cgs and now nothing but a bit of rain, envious of last night as I didn't get to partake in the fun.

Posted

Short burst of rain arrived but the thunder seems to have stopped, anyone else in west London thinking the same? Radar has the heavy stuff right over me in W3.

I have to say that was quite dissapointing to be honest. 2 visible flashes of lightning, a few ( mostly distant ) rumbles and as you say, a short burst of rain. There it was......gone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

More thunder and a heavy shower of rain here....I'm just popping up to CMK shopping centre now and wondering how safe it will be to park in my usual place on the roof of Debenhams - I may or may not be back later, tata Posted Image

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted

I have to say that was quite dissapointing to be honest. 2 visible flashes of lightning, a few ( mostly distant ) rumbles and as you say, a short burst of rain. There it was......gone

Just had a few rumbles having said all that, still not what we were hoping for. Fingers crossed for this afternoon.

Posted

Mid afternoon might be more of a chance in your part of the World:

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

While we're waiting for round 2,

This was a single lightning strike from this morning around 3:30

It originated from the bottom left corner, possibly from a streamer, before stretching across to the right before turning back on itself before it turned night into day.

Shame about the streetlamp, but it serves to illustrate just how bright this was!

post-12190-0-58012100-1374577028_thumb.j

post-12190-0-66109900-1374577038_thumb.j

post-12190-0-77239400-1374577049_thumb.j

post-12190-0-76053600-1374577269_thumb.j

post-12190-0-53199100-1374577080_thumb.j

post-12190-0-81888900-1374577107_thumb.j

post-12190-0-60153900-1374577122_thumb.j

Edited by Wet'n'Dry

Posted

It's a bloomin big triangle now - the whole of Norfolk. Ha ha. 'Scuse me whilst I go into the garden to chase the drizzle....

Extend that down to NE Essex, not breached 30 degrees this spell, not been too humid, in fact rather pleasant but no extremes. Last night's storm passed by peripherally, saw a little lightning and heard thunder in the distance, a little rain.

Today it's grey and pleasantly warm, maybe one momentary glimmer of sun.

Only extreme is the dryness, with no useful rain for 3 weeks, no significant rain for much longer than that.

Posted

GFS 6z out,

GooFuS has the SE corner dry for the entire afternoon,

post-5986-0-65984900-1374576700_thumb.gipost-5986-0-41849200-1374576705_thumb.gipost-5986-0-19639500-1374576710_thumb.gipost-5986-0-52846700-1374576716_thumb.gi

But I don't believe a word of it! As the plume migrates south and east, it does it much faster in the mid-layer (approx 700hPa) leaving a dewpoint depression,

post-5986-0-59177300-1374576762_thumb.gipost-5986-0-62036000-1374576767_thumb.gi

What this means for us, is that the atmosphere is pretty unstable. We're not talking of classic warm surface cold aloft, here, since that isn't necessarily unstable, and requires various triggers. What this sets up is dynamic instability due to differences in fluid (atmospheric) density where the heavier stuff must sink and the lighter stuff must rise. One presumes that even the lightest touch of insolation has the potential to kick things off.

As well as the nominal great atmospheric state we have convergence (kicking off about now),

post-5986-0-43312800-1374577125_thumb.pn

Which adds up to a presumption that showers must form. And they are. On top of all that, we have had a trough go over the morning that created the fun in and around Heathrow/W London/SW London this morning. And given that we also have a cold front to come, and an occluding front after that to come,

post-5986-0-44048200-1374577243_thumb.gi

things are pretty much looking up. Will the showers turn into thunderstorms? Well, I would say yes, according to the London Heathrow skew-t,

post-5986-0-37944500-1374577477_thumb.gi

It looks to me as if that 1128 j/kg of CAPE will be utilised, and the CIN will easily be eroded by daytime heating.  And we can quietly be rather confident of this as not one run - yes, not one run - from the GEFS ensemble suite had rainfall this afternoon as less than 4.9mm, the average of the runs was 11.9mm, and the maximum of the runs was 23.9mm. And this is for 18z this evening.

post-5986-0-30301600-1374577770_thumb.gi

Plenty more fun, I reckon, to come.

Happy Hunting

Posted Image

Edited by Sparkicle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

First rainfall since I don't know when...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Warning of Rain for London & South East England :

Bracknell Forest, Brighton and Hove, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Greater London, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Medway, Milton Keynes, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Slough, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Windsor and Maidenhead & Wokingham

Yellow Warning of Rain for East of England :

Bedford, Cambridgeshire, Central Bedfordshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Luton, Norfolk, Peterborough, Southend-on-Sea, Suffolk & Thurrock

Further thunderstorms and some longer spells of thundery rain will occur at times during the rest of today, with some torrential downpours in places.

The public should be aware of the risk of localised disruption, particularly to travel, due to, for example, surface water flooding or lightning damage.

This is an update to the warning issued on Monday.

Issued at:

1114 on Tue 23 Jul 2013

Valid from:

1115 on Tue 23 Jul 2013

Valid to:

2359 on Tue 23 Jul 2013

Thunderstorms continue to move north across England and Scotland, with some very energetic storms producing frequent lightning. Large rainfall totals, falling in short periods (locally exceeding 50 mm in 3 hours) and onto hard-baked ground, will lead to flooding locally, with hail and gusty winds an additional risk.

As is common in such situations, not everywhere will catch the heaviest of the storms, and some places may well escape altogether.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=uk&from=rss&sn=A6607498-FB1E-63CD-D55D-FB9F0DAA0802_7_EE&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&fcTime=1374534000

Posted

One thing that was noticeable was the temperature change. 26c just before the 'storm' arrived, dropped to 22c and now back up to 25c all within hour.

Posted

More thunder and a heavy shower of rain here....I'm just popping up to CMK shopping centre now and wondering how safe it will be to park in my usual place on the roof of Debenhams - I may or may not be back later, tata Posted Image

I am about to do the same thing and park at the top of the multi-storey because I can't bear it when someone parks next to me, if there are loads of spaces around.  Less chance of that on the top floor. We've just had a big crack of thunder, so something is rumbling around.

Posted

Temperatures building again now and dewpoints where already quite high, are staying high or increasing:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Humidity dropped but looks to rise again:

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Hi guys ,it's blooming hot here ,weather station saying 27 .I really hope we see a storm cos something has to give .

Posted

meto expecting heavier and more torrential thundery rain later on this afternoon, between 3 and 6 is my best guess, after the heat of the day. For the time being, it looks as though that squall line will break into drizzly rain just in time for MBY